+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, a scientific question about weather temperatures in General; Originally Posted by RabbieBurns I cant remember what way it goes down the plughole up northern hemisphere.. i just flushed ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    I cant remember what way it goes down the plughole up northern hemisphere.. i just flushed the toiled there and it went to fast to tell. But emptying a full sink it went anticlockwise.
    What you'd be seeing, if it worked, was the Coriolis Effect in action. However, the water needs to be very still for quite some time in order for you to determine the effect. See here:

BBC - Bang Goes the Theory - Hands-on science: Plugholes

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    I cant remember what way it goes down the plughole up northern hemisphere.. i just flushed the toiled there and it went to fast to tell. But emptying a full sink it went anticlockwise.
    Just emptied a sinkfull here too..........anticlockwise.

Guess that's another urban myth quashed.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatpackhamster View Post
    What you'd be seeing, if it worked, was the Coriolis Effect in action. However, the water needs to be very still for quite some time in order for you to determine the effect. See here:

BBC - Bang Goes the Theory - Hands-on science: Plugholes
    I wish I'd read this before I walked over to the main block, IN THE CHUCKING IT DOWN POURING RAIN, to fill a sink etc.

4. Thanks to Earthling from:

RabbieBurns (11th May 2012)

Thank Post
    With pressure, if I remember my Geography, High pressure mean heavy clouds so air is pushed away from it. Low pressure means light clouds so air is pulled in. It is one reason for wind direction and yes what weather is pulled along.

For some reason the wind direction map is etched into my memory. Only for the UK but from the North was Artic (cold), East was Continental (dry), South was Tropical (Warm) & West was Atlantic (wet). Then you got mixes from the corners, so wind coming from the North East was cold and dry, where as from the South West would be warm and wet.

I love all this stuff and wish I could learn and remember more. A friend worked with a guy who was an ex meteorologist, really good at it, and could give you an almost spot on forecast for the next 3 hours & a slightly vaguer forecast for 6. Anything beyond that he said was guess work. I do know a lot is also down to the wind current in the upper atmosphere & cells. Last year, when we were totally covered in snow, was caused by the Arctic cell bulging down to cover the whole of the UK, meaning the normal warmer stream that hits us got pushed away. Fascinating!

6. Thanks to TechMonkey from:

RabbieBurns (11th May 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12