+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Data Protection Training in General; Hi! I've been told I have to find a Data Protection Course to go on and was wondering if anyone ...

Thank Post

Data Protection Training

Hi!

I've been told I have to find a Data Protection Course to go on and was wondering if anyone could suggest one or any training companies that would be able to help (ideally a course which is certificated or will give me something to go on my CV!)

Many thanks!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What sort of areas are you looking at? Data security, Information Management, Legal? It is a large area and some of it can be covered across a range of existing security courses.

Thank Post
    That's a good question... and my answer to that is I don't know. All I've been told is that I will be the Data Protection lead in the school and I need to find a course...

I expect Data Security, Information Standards, the legal side of things and the Freedom of Information/Data Protection Acts will probably be the first areas I would look at but I'm hoping someone does (I'm guessing this will be a long shot) a general course suited for educational facilities etc.!

Many thanks!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    When they say 'Data Protection Lead' are they talking Data Protection Officer / Senior Information Risk Owner (SIRO)? If so ... what is your approx pay scale? This is a role which should be taken on by a member of SLT.

Are you also part of an LA or are you moving to becoming an Academy?

5. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

tobyhacker (9th May 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 1,594 Posts
    I agree with Grumbledook... unless you are SLT do not become the Data Protection/Senior Information Risk Officer. Get it clarified, in writing, exactly what they think your role is.

There is a huge legal minefield surrounding Data Protection and most IT staff are not paid enough to shoulder the blame if something goes wrong. Stay informed, but unqualified and make sure that it is clear in writing which member of SLT is responsible for Data Protection.

7. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

Thank Post
    I have a friend who has just been on a data protection officer training - he runs the network for our local NHS trust and is paid in the high 5-figure region... I wouldn't take it on without a comensurate pay scheme

9. Thanks to Oaktech from:

Thank Post
    At present I am just a humble Data Manager no where near SLT or their pay scales! We got turned into an Academy last September as we were a failing school.

From a brief conversation it seems they are just wanting someone on the staff who is making sure we are complying with all data laws etc in how we store, manage and distribute data.

Sorry I can't be any more help than that, but the people above don't really know what they want as well.

Thank Post
    Which sounds like they want you be the data protection officer by action if not by name.

At which point i think you need to clarify what level of responsibility they expect to you have in the event that the defecate enters the ventilator.

12. Thanks to Oaktech from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post
    Which sounds like they want you be the data protection officer by action if not by name.

At which point i think you need to clarify what level of responsibility they expect to you have in the event that the defecate enters the ventilator.
    I agree. Data Protection isn't something they can just give to "someone who knows about computers"... It is a legally responsible role right up there with Designated Child Protection Officer. Neither role should be taken on by someone who is not part of the management team.

Do you get paid enough top take ultimate responsibility when a teacher leaves a memory stick full of reports in Sainsbury's or that box full of pupil records turns up at the tip instead of being shredded? This is PERSONAL liability not corporate liability!

It's perfectly OK to gen up and keep an eye on compliance... but don't take responsibility.

14. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

Thank Post
    Hi guys,

Thanks for all the advice, I've booked a meeting with my line manager so that everything can be clarified. That way I can find out exactly what they are wanting and have my say! Fortunately my new line manager (one of the Vice Principals) is very supportive so we'll see how that goes!

Many thanks!

Toby

Thank Post
    You might want scare yourself to death read up on Data Protection in the education sector from here: Information Commisssioner's Offfice | ICO | Data Protection Guidance | Education

Thank Post
    As others have said, get clarification on exactly what the school is asking of you.

Whilst I agree that this isn't a role which should fall on your shoulders because you're IT (not least because Data Protection covers everything paper-based too), you should have a role in shaping the school's DP policy (something I will be discussing with our new bursar shortly...).

When it does come to sourcing training and/or advice for people at your school, you could talk to Act Now Training I did a 30-minute webinar with them earlier in the year, which was helpful, so they might be able to assist your school in determining what it actually wants and how to do it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    One of the reasons I asked about whether you are becoming an Academy is that some academy groups will provide support and guidance on data protection, including standard policies and procedures, training and so on.

Thank Post
    Last year I went on the following course - Data Protection: An A-Z Guide by Act Now (Act Now Training)
    It was a small group of 6/8 and the information provided was more than adequate for ensuring that schools meet their legal obligations - it was one of the best courses that I have been on.
    You only need more advanced training if you are going to be the data controller and are required to deal with queries as part of your job.

20. Thanks to pavlovs_dog from:

tobyhacker (10th May 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If you are looking for something a bit more significant then you could look at the Certificate in Data Protection from BCS. Certificate in Data Protection | Certificate in Data Protection | Practitioner | IT Governance and Information Security | Certifications | BCS Certifications
    (Act Now are on the accredited Training Providers list)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread