+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, SSD drives in education in General; All of our future computers will have SSD's in, even in a single core atom netbook, the difference is fantastic. ...

Thank Post
    All of our future computers will have SSD's in, even in a single core atom netbook, the difference is fantastic.

For the price difference they are the way to go.

Thank Post
    We are going solely with SSDs in all new PCs now - staff PCs get 120GB drives and students are getting 60GB.

We aren’t going to be doing any HDD - SSD swap outs as most of our kit (that it might be an idea to do it in) is just too old anyway and are moving to more energy efficient CPUs like the AMD E-350s.

Servers are getting a SSD boost as well using PCI-E OCZ RevoDrives.

The biggest reason for us doing it is making things faster, I'm of an opinion that IT should 'just work' for our users even if it means spending a little extra.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We use 40gb Intel SSDs here in all desktop machines and have done for a few years now. They cost 70 quid I think for the upgrade.

Anyone who cares about cpu or memory specifications is deluded. It brings nothing to a machine compared to adding an SSD.

We have over 250 site wide, most over a year old now. 0% failure rate.

Only problem is all these 500gb hard drives I now have!! no idea what to do with them!

SSD drives in education-imag0283.jpg
    Last edited by zag; 9th May 2012 at 02:31 PM.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Also cant wait to put these bad boys in a couple of servers

Intel's PCI-E 910-Series SSD reviewed: blazing fast, even under pressure -- Engadget

Thank Post
    I'm going to have to invest in a few to see what the big deal is.... Never used a machine with one in to be able to understand the hype about them. Still not sure i could justify 1/2 pc's less in the renewal scheme to put in SSD's.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    We use 40gb Intel SSDs here in all desktop machines and have done for a few years now. They cost 70 quid I think for the upgrade.

Anyone who cares about cpu or memory specifications is deluded. It brings nothing to a machine compared to adding an SSD.

We have over 250 site wide, most over a year old now. 0% failure rate.

Only problem is all these 500gb hard drives I now have I no idea what to do with!
    Deluded is a tad strong, dual core vs single core still matters a lot and so does memory bandwidth for certain things, and CPU instructions, and cache. Yes a SSD makes a big difference but that is not a reason to use a crappy old power wasting CPU if you don't have to. CPU speed is not a major concern but instruction set is. A 1.6 GHz Atom will run Windows 7 much better than a 2.4GHz Pentium. DDR2 is way, way faster at things than DDR and those differences become huge when your using stuff that chews a little more CPU power than word processing. Video editing, CAD, etc. sure not everyone does that but some do.

SSDs are not the answer to everything, they are just the component that finally caught up. At a certain point, a machine is just old and not worth the investment, it is better to just get something a little more modern.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    I'm strongly leaning towards SSD for staff laptops, for increasing responsiveness and because one less moving part reduces the scope for Jeff, Destroyer of Laptops.
    Exactly my reasoning.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dave.81 View Post
    I'm going to have to invest in a few to see what the big deal is.... Never used a machine with one in to be able to understand the hype about them. Still not sure i could justify 1/2 pc's less in the renewal scheme to put in SSD's.
    They are not that much more expensive unless you go to the Likes of HP/Dell who will happily double the price of a machine to put an SSD in

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    They are not that much more expensive unless you go to the Likes of HP/Dell who will happily double the price of a machine to put an SSD in
    Buy your own SSDs, swap them out and keep a few hard drives lying around if you need to do a warranty replace

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    Buy your own SSDs, swap them out and keep a few hard drives lying around if you need to do a warranty replace
    Or use them (the un-needed SATA HDs) in the old machines for a speed and reliability boost while getting the real performance out of the SSDs in a newer machine.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Deluded is a tad strong, dual core vs single core still matters a lot and so does memory bandwidth for certain things, and CPU instructions, and cache. Yes a SSD makes a big difference but that is not a reason to use a crappy old power wasting CPU if you don't have to. CPU speed is not a major concern but instruction set is. A 1.6 GHz Atom will run Windows 7 much better than a 2.4GHz Pentium. DDR2 is way, way faster at things than DDR and those differences become huge when your using stuff that chews a little more CPU power than word processing. Video editing, CAD, etc. sure not everyone does that but some do.
    Yeh we don't do any of that video editing or CAD stuff here. I'm talking about office, email, Sims type applications on our standard desktop workstations.

It just makes me laugh when you see people recommending "at least an intel core i3" or "more than 2gb ram".

The day we started using SSDs was the day people stopped complaining about the speed of their machines. Storage has been the bottleneck for many years, not cpu or memory despite what the Intel Marketing says.
    Last edited by zag; 9th May 2012 at 03:12 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    Or buy from the likes of Novatech/Stone who will custom make the machines with SSD's at a cheaper cost then buying a machine and SSD seperatly. If one fails its them who comes in a sorts it for 5 years...

Thank Post
    It just makes me laugh when you see people recommending "at least an intel core i3" or "more than 2gb ram".
    Hear you loud and clear there - at 1.6ghz dual core my PC should be the slowest one in the school but you know what - the Vertex 3 inside it changes a whole lot of things (8GB of RAM only for running VMs)

Problem is the same is happening in the mobile phone market at the moment with people saying look at my shiney quad core android phone it runs as smooth as butter then all the review sites knocking Windows Phone because its only single core (but still runs as smooth as butter)....in that case its the OS fault just as with full PCs its the storage fault for things being slow.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yeh we don't do any of that video editing or CAD stuff here. I'm talking about office, email, Sims type applications on our standard desktop workstations.

The day we started using SSDs was the day people stopped complaining about the speed of their machines. Storage has been the bottleneck for many years, not cpu or memory despite what the Intel Marketing says.
    When it's an extra $20 for another 2GB why not have it in there and only need to hit the SSD half the time. We get i5 for vPro and power efficiency as well as having the potential to still be decent in a few years time. But this is a divergent argument from the OPs topic.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 900 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Building all our machines this year ourselves, with 120GB SSD drives. Really, really looking forward to it, the boost it's given our heavily used office stations has made a *massive* difference and it seems the next logical step to keep performance related problems to a minimum.

Maybe we might start to see the network actually being used!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast