+ Post New Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast
General Chat Thread, SSD drives in education in General; Originally Posted by sonofsanta My Steam drive is a 640Gb WD Caviar Black, cracking hard drive, 7.2k rpm, good areal ...
    zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    My Steam drive is a 640Gb WD Caviar Black, cracking hard drive, 7.2k rpm, good areal density, ample cache, and got some 250 IOPS read/write. Ran it on the 128Gb Samsung 830 and it was about 27,000 IOPS. Astonishing.
    SSDs are the future I tell you.

I love the way we even have to invent new metrics of "IOPS read/writes" instead of the old "7200rpm" and "9.2ms" access time rubbish people used to believe was important haha.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,743 Times in 2,317 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    SSDs are the future I tell you.

I love the way we even have to invent new metrics of "IOPS read/writes" instead of the old "7200rpm" and "9.2ms" access time rubbish people used to believe was important haha.
    Where have you been, IOPs have been a measure since damn near the begining of computing, enterprise gear like SANs are measured on stuff like this and big DB apps like Exchange have been scaled by IOPs too.

IOPS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    How to Calculate Your Disk I/O Requirements

Honestly, does everyone think that everything was built last year or something. None of this stuff is new, just adaptations of existing tech, thats how they come up with most of it, its pretty much all the same ideas from the 70s and 80s that are only just getting folded into everyday tech when become economicly and marketably viable.

Whats the saying, those that fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it - or the computer version - reimplement it badly.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 16th July 2012 at 09:37 AM.

3. Thanks to SYNACK from:

mac_shinobi (16th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Where have you been, IOPs have been a measure since damn near the begining of computing, enterprise gear like SANs are measured on stuff like this and big DB apps like Exchange have been scaled by IOPs too.
    Quite. Plus, I'm not sure how many RPM my SSD is doing anyway.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    I'd imagine zero unless something has gone very, very wrong

Thank Post
    should be approx 1 rpd or we are all screwed lol

im tempted to se if i can get one of my schools to try 1 of them in a netbook cant make the hateful things any worse lol

Thank Post
    I doubt those machines would even have an option for AHCI mode in BIOS. Really you should be leaning towards newer machines.

Thank Post
    For zero it would need to have fallen off the world. How about 0.000694.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,524 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    If I'm using a netbook in an office chair, about 5 or 6 RPM as I spin round and round and round and round and round (and sometimes round again)

10. Thanks to sonofsanta from:

zag (16th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post

im tempted to se if i can get one of my schools to try 1 of them in a netbook cant make the hateful things any worse lol
    Well, I guess it all depends on your refference frame if your going to go that far, why not take into account the oribit of the planet, the spin of the milky way galaxy and its realitive motion from the centre of the universe. You could also take into account the average quantum spin of the electrons in each data bit but from a traditional standpoint in the basic observable human refference frame when applied in the same way as it is to rotational magnetic media it comes out as zero.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    If I'm using a netbook in an office chair, about 5 or 6 RPM as I spin round and round and round and round and round (and sometimes round again)
    If you spin in the right direction can you get a 7195RPM rotational drive in your laptop

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post

Was going to try that to see if they're worth upgrading then looked at the case again, realised we'd have to crack them all open and decided it wasn't worth the aggro based on the (lack of) speed of the rest of the components

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Was going to try that to see if they're worth upgrading then looked at the case again, realised we'd have to crack them all open and decided it wasn't worth the aggro based on the (lack of) speed of the rest of the components
    dont think tosh nb250/500s are that bad to open but without one infront of me wouldnt like to say

Thank Post
    If you buy an SSD for an older computer at the end of the day it's money well spent. If it doesn't give the performance benefit you want then you still have a useful SSD for elsewhere. The drives you take out of any newer machines can still be used to upgrade the older ones. Often the benefit from newer traditional drives is still noticeable when the age gap is 2+ years.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BHMS View Post
    If you buy an SSD for an older computer at the end of the day it's money well spent. If it doesn't give the performance benefit you want then you still have a useful SSD for elsewhere. The drives you take out of any newer machines can still be used to upgrade the older ones. Often the benefit from newer traditional drives is still noticeable when the age gap is 2+ years.
    I put that to the test here last year, and while i can't speak for AMD cpu users, for Intel my general rule is: Older or slower than an E2180 it's worth replacing the whole machine, E2180 and above though do benefit from SSDs so long as they're on a chipset newer than the 945.

So if you're using Pentium Ds, P4s etc then don't bother, replace the PC unless it really is for nothing more than office use.

Also i know alot of people keep talking about the difference between SATA2 and SATA3 etc but you really won't notice the difference at all in school, save the money and buy the SATA2 drives...they're still 100x faster than HDDs

17. Thanks to mrbios from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BHMS View Post
    Yup that's the logic I'm going down with our older laptops; the SSDs make a huge difference and means we can use them for another year or two with Windows 7 (the 5400rpm HDD kills them atm)

19. Thanks to gshaw from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread