+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, How much would you charge for your services? in General; ...
    Thank Post
    Just tried looking and couldn't find one online. Last one I saw was actually inside PC world at their service desk. I seem to remember seeing a price list there. It had like; Memory Upgrade - £20 (plus cost of stick), Software Installs - £40, PC Health Check - £60 (aka running CCleaner).
    I might just pop in next time I'm passing and update my costs

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stevehill06 View Post
    Have found some prices on the website..

HELP & SUPPORT | Knowhow
    Bang on

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
    Just tried looking and couldn't find one online. Last one I saw was actually inside PC world at their service desk. I seem to remember seeing a price list there. It had like; Memory Upgrade - £20 (plus cost of stick), Software Installs - £40, PC Health Check - £60 (aka running CCleaner).
    I might just pop in next time I'm passing and update my costs
    I might employ this method next time my Gran complains her PC doesn't work xD

Thank Post
    Next door laptop = Reinstalled Whole Os + updates = £30
    Unlocking HTC Buzz (wildfire) - French network/Lang = £15

Undercharging i feel!

Thank Post
    My going rate is usually a couple of bottles of wine.

Thank Post
    I've had loads of teachers trying to wrangle free technical support for their home PC as they "often use it for work". If you boot the machine it's nearly always a family member's machine, and full of viruses.

On one occasion, I was given a £2 bottle of red wine for 2 hours work. After that, I decided to agree a fee up front. This, however, backfired when said Teacher left a cheap box of chocolates on my desk when I was out of the office, rather than pay the agreed fee.

Now I just wouldn't waste my time taking on private jobs, unless it was for a small business (and billed accordingly), or for a friend. I recommend a local support firm and they can see the standard costs involved for themselves.

Before I judge whether or not to to take on the job, I ask myself 'Would this teacher offer private tutoring for my kids for free/a £2 bottle of wine/a box of chocolates?' If the answer is yes, I'd repair their machine. It's funny, however, how often the answer to this is 'No'!

Thank Post
    As mentioned above, the normal fee is a pack of beer. i feel that if i take money from them, I have become their single point of contact if anything goes wrong in the future.

If I charge £20 per hour, to that person, I am a business and they have no problem complaining to me when they mess it up again. A pack of beer indicates that its a favor.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dgardner View Post
    After that, I decided to agree a fee up front. This, however, backfired when said Teacher left a cheap box of chocolates on my desk when I was out of the office, rather than pay the agreed fee.
    If a teacher recurringly acts like a douche when you're doing them a favour, then it's simple. Take the next job they ask you to do. Don't give them their laptop back until they pay. They'll soon learn.

Thank Post
    Buy me a bottle of wine for friends, from £25ph for anyone else. Although I do clean up's for friends for free most of the time they get me something anyway!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    If a teacher recurringly acts like a douche when you're doing them a favour, then it's simple. Take the next job they ask you to do. Don't give them their laptop back until they pay. They'll soon learn.
    He just avoids me/eye contact with me now!

Thank Post
    I hope he said thank you!

Either that or just knock up an invoice on word and charge him a Tenner? Stick it in his pigeon hole and see if he pays .........

Or dont charge, it's up to you hunni ........

Thank Post
    It was ages ago now. That's just one example of why I decided to stop doing private jobs at work.

Thank Post
    "Bung us a tenner*" (I would like £10) or "Bung us a score*" (I would like £20) does for me usually. Phrases like that roll off the tongue quite nicely, and make you sound like a plasterer too.

*©London.

Thank Post
    Oh right,
    Yep dont blame ya, I used to have that problem when I worked with alot of retail customers, they would call me at like 11.00pm at night and ask stupid questions, then when it came to actucally going around and fixing the PC's they were reluctant to pay! The same thing happens with friends etc. I found in the end acting like I was stupid, gave me a breather.....

Miscbrah, That must be a London thing ...... I said that before now ..... lol

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    My going rate: £600 per day or part thereof. Yes I know that's a bit "silly" in the context you're asking about, but I don't want to do jobs like this so I'm intentionally pricing myself out of the market, while leaving the way open for that small business that's absolutely desperate to recover their exchange database to make me an offer I can't refuse.

There is a serious side to that price too. Simply put: how much do you value the time that you have spent doing this job? How much do you need the money you could be making from doing jobs like these?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast