+ Post New Thread
Page 90 of 189 FirstFirst ... 4080868788899091929394100140 ... LastLast
Results 1,336 to 1,350 of 2826
General Chat Thread, New Edugeek Users - Introduce yourself here :) in General; Originally Posted by PaulColes88 Hi, I am Paul, im 21 have had 3 years commercial IT experience, currently taken on ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,379 Times in 1,749 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulColes88 View Post
    Hi, I am Paul, im 21 have had 3 years commercial IT experience, currently taken on role of Acting Network Manager in a private sixth form in Cambridge. (Since June 2009>Present)

So.. mainly supporting the whole network and so far its been a great eye opener with regards to how different the educational sector works to private companies.

Im more used to "If it's needed, buy it now!" lol than we need this what will it improve can we get it budgeted lol.
    Welcome to edugeek PaulColes88

You're right there is quite a difference between IT in the private sector and schools... budgets, I agree with, but there's also the little matter of stopping the little darlings from hacking your network. Not generally an issue in companies where fear of sacking keeps employees in line, even the 17 year old ones!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Welcome to edugeek PaulColes88

You're right there is quite a difference between IT in the private sector and schools... budgets, I agree with, but there's also the little matter of stopping the little darlings from hacking your network. Not generally an issue in companies where fear of sacking keeps employees in line, even the 17 year old ones!
    Hmm yes thats a good point lol some of them do seem like the type to do that indeed.

Its just amazing how much more effort goes into a schools IT setup and what effects decisions, it seems in the private sector we (IT) had the power but here its the Teachers and Bursar people.

Its been good so far though very busy and alot more work but its more enjoyable as i don't have to sign a log everytime i even touch a keyboard lol.

So Pros and Cons i guess..

Anyone recommend any Educational IT magazines that can be subscribed to to keep me in the loop at all? (Ideally free, so i don't even have to trouble the money people)

Thanks for the welcome

Thank Post

Introduction

Hi all
    I'm Ken, IT Manager at Leeds College of Building (for over 25 years - but still learning the job!).
    We support ~800 endpoints/clients, I have 6 IT support staff - also support AV, telephony (including mobiles) and networked photocopiers across 8 buildings.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulColes88 View Post
    Anyone recommend any Educational IT magazines that can be subscribed to to keep me in the loop at all? (Ideally free, so i don't even have to trouble the money people)
    I keep up to date on Educational IT by checking in here regularly. The news forum is a good start and posters like Grumbledook, who work for LAs, are very quick to let us know about the latest initiatives and legalities. Try and wangle a trip to BETT, the education IT exhibition in London... it's held every January, and worth the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by KenDeciacco View Post
    Hi all
    I'm Ken, IT Manager at Leeds College of Building (for over 25 years - but still learning the job!).
    We support ~800 endpoints/clients, I have 6 IT support staff - also support AV, telephony (including mobiles) and networked photocopiers across 8 buildings.
    Welcome to edugeek KenDeciacco
    I grew up in Harrogate... not a million miles away

Thank Post
    Thanks for the welcome Elsiegee40. I visit Harrogate (for shopping) sometimes - lovely place.
    Thanks again
    Ken

Thank Post
    Just came here to introduce myself. Just took over the Technology Coordinator position at our school and am sure I will have many questions and hope to give any advice I can.

Thank Post
    hello, I am a long time student, 12 years in all, and a long time computer user, about 13 years, 10 of them actually "using" the computers. I was the goto guy for exploits and what not for school security, now I am going to try to help all those paraniod Admins protect their networks

Thank Post

Hey Everyone

Hey Everyone, found your site after some people started posting links back to my blog tutorials. I thought I would join so I could help people by replying to their posts. Looks like a nice community.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NifeWrench View Post
    Just came here to introduce myself. Just took over the Technology Coordinator position at our school and am sure I will have many questions and hope to give any advice I can.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbrooks View Post
    hello, I am a long time student, 12 years in all, and a long time computer user, about 13 years, 10 of them actually "using" the computers. I was the goto guy for exploits and what not for school security, now I am going to try to help all those paraniod Admins protect their networks
    Quote Originally Posted by brianleejackson View Post
    Hey Everyone, found your site after some people started posting links back to my blog tutorials. I thought I would join so I could help people by replying to their posts. Looks like a nice community.
    Welcome to edugeek NifeWrench, sbrooks and brianleejackson

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Welcome Aboard All

Thank Post
    Hiya, I'm a female too!!! Working in London for lots of different tech companies...interesting and great area to work in.

Thank Post
    Welcome Sharmee

There are lots of us female edugeeks to keep you company! (And to keep the lads in order )

Thank Post
    Hola! Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm currently working for an Internet security company. I hope to learn a lot and help out here.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robertss View Post
    Hola! Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm currently working for an Internet security company. I hope to learn a lot and help out here.
    Welcome aboard bud

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wsemerald View Post
    hi,i am fresh here and i am fresh to my job in a IT company.
    i am female~~~
    Welcome, good luck with your new job and hopefully Edugeek will be as useful to you as it is to me

They seem a nice bunch

Enjoy

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread