+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 179 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, New Edugeek Users - Introduce yourself here :) in General; Hello. I'm Linda , Web Manager/VLE co-ordinator for Dorset LA ( there's only me doing this job, so I'll be ...
    Thank Post

Re: New Edugeek Users - Introduce yourself here :)

Hello. I'm Linda , Web Manager/VLE co-ordinator for Dorset LA ( there's only me doing this job, so I'll be known to most Dorset schools on here).

I'm not really a techie, done some first line user support, lots of database management, Capita's EMS (like SIMS but for LAs) and now into the world of Elearning.

ITWitch introduced me to Edugeek and I have been lurking for ages, particularly interested to read about other schools' and LAs' experiences with VLEs/Moodle.

This LA, along with the rest of the South West Grid, has had the Ramesys VLE Assimilate (known to us as the SWGfL Portal) available to schools for 2 years, but with the arrival of the BECTA inter-operability standards and DfES plans for Learning platforms, it's going to be an interesting few years!

I've been "advertising" Edugeek on our home page of the SWGfL Portal as I think it is a great resource. That's how ChrisC found you (Hi, Chris!).

Do I get a discount for recruiting? :-)

Thank Post

not a discount, but if you come up to the edugeek conference on the 19th april I'll get you lunch.
    beeswax

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by beeswax
    not a discount, but if you come up to the edugeek conference on the 19th april I'll get you lunch.
    beeswax
    Oh, thanks, beeswax! Too very kind of you Sadly, having checked the ol' diary, I'm expected to be earning my daily crust down here that day. Drat 'n double drat!

Hope you all have a great conference.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou
    Quote Originally Posted by beeswax
    beeswax
    Oh, thanks, beeswax! Too very kind of you Sadly, having checked the ol' diary, I'm expected to be earning my daily crust down here that day. Drat 'n double drat!

Hope you all have a great conference.
    Call it CPD - surely they give you time off for courses

Thank Post

Hi I am Lauren

I am and Techie for a primary school in bournemouth. Started off with just supporting the staff 4 years ago now am quiet capiable of putting my hand to anything. Which is not always a good thing. We have IWB in all 14 of our classrooms which are run with various projectors and all teachers are using laptops.

Our current IT suite (16 pc's most 98 I know it's bad) hopefully will be replaced in the summer Yipee. Our classroom network has 24 machines all XP. Thats enough about my school.

So glad to have found a forum dedicated to crazy technical people. I would like to know how many primary schools especially in the Bournemouth LEA have actually got Technicans on site and what kind of hours they do.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

right thread split

rest is here

http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?nam...ewtopic&t=2273

Russ

Thank Post

Hi everyone. I’m Pam – teacher for 30 yrs. Have taught from Reception to A-levels, but managed to miss out on Yrs 4,5+6!
    I work at a First School in Middx. A .8 classteacher, Yr group leader, ICT co-ordinator + Network Administrator, SMT.

In my spare time, I ............sleep. Occasionally, I use my craft interests to make hand made cards. I have sold a few, but as of yet not enough coffers in the retirement fund to leave.

Thank Post

Howdy, I'm new.

Not New to IT, or Schools, or Internet Forums. Just new to this place!

Thank Post

Hi Simon,

Pull up a wheel chair

BTW is that Sunderland, Wyoming you're from

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Welcome abord to another North-Eastener

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Been on the Forum a while now - failed to introduce myself before!
    I'm finding the Forum invaluable and thanks to several contributors who have helped me with private messages - particularly Ric.

I evolved into a Primary School ICT post after the school went for a computer suite build in what was redundant courtyard space. I started off helping in classes with reading then went on to helping with ICT lessons on standalone computers in classrooms. So, when the suite was built I was offered 10 HPW on contract to keep things up to date. That turned into 35 HPW this year. I love the work and find I learn lots about the job everyday.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,028 Times in 729 Posts

Gone blind with old age (didn't see post)bit late now
    but will introduce myself as an irrate oldie with quite an attitude towards disrespectful people. i don't mind the ones who are straight talking but those that go all the way round the doors (PC) totally do me nut in!!. You can probably say that i am rather blunt and from t'northeast. have been in education for 5 years having gone through a very steep learning curve am now MCSE 2003 MCSA 2003 and MCP with CCNA just around the corner. Have done various other qualifications but head stove in at the mo. Used to be a sewing machine technician for 26 years before the rag trade collapsed. I am the Network Manager at a middle sized comp for my sins, 8 servers nearly 300 workstations all running on RMCC3 connect helped by my intrepid friend and colleague who is somewhere about on the forum called Webman who introduced me to this wonderful forum.

hope to meet you all one day(perhaps in person when we get video linking on the forum)

Thank Post

Hello all.
    Well I finally got around to registering, It was not as painful as I thought!.
    A bit about me.
    I worked as a Research Scientist on the railways for 28 years, Then ran our village shop for 11 years then sold it 2 years ago and now continuing building my own house / garage and a self catering holiday flat, that we hope to rent out during the season.

For the last 8 years I have been involved with the local Charity Run school in my spare time and when my daughter went there I was the caretaker, health and safety rep, maintenance and gardener etc. as a parent at the school you do all this for free.
    The school was shut down by the local council 19 years ago with only 9 children there (they have about 40 now) and taken over by the parents almost strait away, the school buildings belong to the community, set up by a local gentry 200 years ago on a trust.
    The parents have to raise all of the funds to run the school, which has 3 teachers.

Being interested in electronics / computers etc. I could see the school had only 3 very old computers (8 years ago I think one was a 'bbc' and two 386's).
    So we were running the local shop at the time and I started asking my customers if they had any old computers and a villager owned one of the local Skip hire firms, so I went along to his yard and recovered some more old computers. Did all these up and learnt myself about computing.

When I set these old 486's up in school they were delighted.
    Two years ago I got one of the local firms to donate 25 redundant pc's (Compaq Deskpro's).

What a surprise when I went along to collect them, they supplied base unit, crt monitors, keyboards and mouse with all the leads the full kit and they had all been serviced .
    Being from a firm they had no cd-rom drives so I got one of my customers at my shop to sponsor an up grading of them, so I fitted cd-rom drives and lot more ram.
    This anonymous Donor spent thousands of pounds on the school during the time I was there as a parent.
    I still Volunteer to look after the school computers even now my daughter has moved on to a senior school in the nearby city (and its one of the I. T staff there that I have to thank for telling me about this site just after it started up last year. ).
    I have set the computers up on a network (and I had to learn myself about that first!) and they only have ISDN (64kbps)at the school (I hope to get them on broadband soon) They are set up as individual workstations with w2k on them at the moment, but I had a HP Netserver donated with w2k server on it (I have been working out how that all works) and will get around putting the school on a domain one day, because looking after all the workstations, just doing the updates on the AV / anti spy ware/malware etc.. Is a major job, which I do on a Saturday afternoon.
    I'm also building a 'smoothwall' box but that will not talk to the BT Highway ISDN TA.
    Well the school are very pleased with all this effort I have put in (it must be thousands of hours of work and I have raised thousands of pounds for the school) and the Ofsted inspectors gave me a personal thank you for all my work setting up the network for the school at a cost of £0.)

I could write a book about all this.

By the way I still look out for any free items for the school network.

I'm brain dead now. Bye.

Michael.

Thank Post

Hi Michael,

Wilkommen in den EduGeek!

That's quite a CV you have there but only your wardrobe can tell us if you had half as 'interesting' a life as GrumbleDook

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Yeah - welcome Michael!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread