+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 185 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, New Edugeek Users - Introduce yourself here :) in General; Originally Posted by SteveMC Greetings all, I'm Steve, and I've kind-of escaped the school environment, having previously worked as IT ...
    Thank Post

Re: New Edugeek Users - Introduce yourself here :)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMC
    Greetings all,
    I'm Steve, and I've kind-of escaped the school environment, having previously worked as IT Tech in a couple of local middle schools, I'm now an IT Consultant/Support-Engineer/whatever-description-fits-whatever-I'm-doing-tomorrow for a local firm on the Isle of Wight. Mainly deal with medium-sized school networks of around the 100 machines level (although we do get involved with the larger systems of quite a few of the local high-schools).

In fact, DMcCoy still has one of our drill bits embedded in concrete under one of his walkways :P
    <points> I know him! Blasted concrete floors. <fx - comic book man> worst. building. ever!

He plays EVE (infrequently) too.

Thank Post

Hi everyone

Spose I should say hello and introduce myself.

I'm Assistant Network Manager at a large secondary school outside Bristol.

After studying law at University, qualifying as a solicitor and several years as a manager in various charities, sysadmin was an obvious next step...

Oh, and I'm a girl too...

Cheers

Alison

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

hello and welcome to all our new members...

we are going to need some more biscuits

Russ

Thank Post

Hi,

I'm an IT technician in an East London school, only been in schools for a few months before a teacher with clue pointed me your way.

Over a dozen open edugeek windows later, joining seemed to be the only sensible option.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Hello and welcome

and glad to see word getting about

Russ

Thank Post

Howdy one and all

I'm Rob, right at the bottom of the Technician chain at this college in Cheadle. I've got both the Administrator and the Co-ordinator above me. Although imho the actual Admin is a little.... out of his depth shall we say but he's retiring in september and I'm leaving for uni so they'll be no tech staff at all! fun fun fun.

Anyway back to work for the time being

-Rob

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Is that far from Wales? :P

Thank Post

Hi I'm another female (actually quite old with teenage kids) I'm employed as a technician in two primary schools both with server 2003 xp and w98, rubbish educational software that never works and I hate printers!
    I started as a special needs TA but realised that small children irritate me so decided to move into computers and now I realise that a combination of small children and computers can be hideous! (Only joking love the job wouldn't swop it for anything)

Thank Post

Hi,

I'm Mike and I'm a network admin at a large independant boys school in SE London. We've got kids ranging from the kindergarten age (yes we have computers for them too!), all the way up to VI Form. We're a 3 site school, and we also have an "Enterprise" which is a seperate run business - but we manage their IT as well.
    The domain is a vanilla Windows 2003, with Win2k desktops - about to move on to XP. We've got Cisco everywhere, from the router to the switches and Wireless APs. So we're a nicely VLAN-ed site!

Being a 'well respected' private school, we have to put up with less of the 'rude boys' and 'gangstas' you find in most which is alright. But we have the downfall of computer hacker boarders who have constant network access so are always trying to come up with new ways to upset me!

I'm a lot younger than most people in my position - I just got lucky and impressed the right people at the right time. But I think I'm coping alright - my appraisal went down ok!

Found this site to really useful the last couple of months I've been a visitor - time to try and give something back!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

so can we ask how old you are

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey
    Being a 'well respected' private school, we have to put up with less of the 'rude boys' and 'gangstas' you find in most which is alright. But we have the downfall of computer hacker boarders who have constant network access so are always trying to come up with new ways to upset me!
    Tell me about it, I also work for a well respeced private school in North Yorkshire, and we have the same fun, the boarders PCs, and the damage they do.

I used to spend many hours chasing viruses round the campus (we are split over an entire village, so sometimes it a car journey to catch them!), so I discussed and got the policy of "all network points in the accomodation on all the time" changed to "bring me your laptop / desktop, you get Sophos for free, and then get your point live".

It just help prove my point of how few kids use there PCs for actual school work, which is suposed to be the only reason to have them in school, but thts not the case. We now get kids bringing switches, APs, and even routers :twisted: in, I remember 1st day back in September, the entire network basically ground to a hault, and that soon got the point policy above actioned, by about 10:30AM that morning! We think that in the end it was a Router that had been brought in and plugged into our LAN and it was still DHCPing, and our machines were confused as to who, what, where, when and why they should talk to things.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I'm a lot younger than most people in my position - I just got lucky and impressed the right people at the right time.
    Join the club, same here I'm 18....

Just realised it's my birthday next month - where's the last 12 months gone to!?! :? 8O

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    I'm a lot younger than most people in my position - I just got lucky and impressed the right people at the right time.
    Join the club, same here D I'm 18....

Just realised it's my birthday next month - where's the last 12 months gone to!?! ? 8O
    I know time does really fly, 3 month till mine, then I am 20! and then I will have completed 2 years full service for the place I work.
    As the saying goes, time flys when your having fun

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

worked out recently next april 5 years working for lea working from as youth worker/net man, then it tech for primary school to net man for high school....

but get extra weeks hol which is good

russ

Thank Post

Time for the older ones to own up. I'm Dave and a network manager (sort of) in Lancashire. Vary rarely post because I feel very inadequate in my knowledge compared to your regular contributors.

Started at my present school in 1980 as a Physics teacher. Since I had a little programming background I was offered the post of Head of Computing in 1984 – a trifle grand since I was the only computing teacher. Over the years set up and maintained several different networks; RM 480Z, RM Nimbus, Novell and Windows NT. Gradually the “Geeks” took over but I am still around to look after the Admin side and to keep the Geeks and the teachers apart. Actually our geeks seem to be hiding away from saying who they are although many of you will know “Linux Geoff” and “Silent Bob”. Also hiding in the wings are Richard and “young” Dave.

They say that confession is good for the soul so here goes. I taught “Linux Geoff” and gave him his first Linux CD and machine to play on. Also my daughter went to school with Ric Charlton. I now feel very old and it is time for my afternoon nap………

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 185 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast