+ Post New Thread
Page 59 of 185 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369109159 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, New Edugeek Users - Introduce yourself here :) in General; Hi, I'm Daniel, was previously an ICT teacher (I know, boo hiss, clearly knows nothing) but decided teaching wasn't for ...

Thank Post
    Hi, I'm Daniel, was previously an ICT teacher (I know, boo hiss, clearly knows nothing) but decided teaching wasn't for me and I'd quite like to move into IT support. Have lurked here for a while, but thought I should finally say hi!

Am currently looking at and applying for jobs all over, always on the lookout for school IT jobs but other than the forum on here there doesn't seem to be a central place to find available jobs, and since I'm looking all over (will move to wherever the job is) it's not simply a matter of looking at the local authority website for the area. Oh well, c'est la vie!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ah a convert from the Dark Side

Welcome Daniel, I think its good to have people with teaching experience to offer their opinions on things

Thank Post
    Hi my name is Matt, I'm 19, 20 this year. I don't work in education although I did start on a 2 week work experience placement a number of years ago with the Schools/Corporate IT at the local council. I then moved onto working in a haulage company looking after a number of trucks and then inheriting the IT side of things when the network manager/traffic operator left! I stayed there around 2 months more and his partner got me my current job working for the NHS.

I am one of around 15 I think it is now techies that work accross Northern Lincolnshire providing IT support to various GP surgeries and the relevant departments. I came accross this place when looking for various bits of information and found it to be one of the best IT forums around. We are based over 2 counties and between our two furthest sites its around 45 miles! We are based over 2 sites and have some 60 servers I think and around 4500 users. As for computers and laptops its around the 4000 mark I think.

We run a Windows 2003 network with some 2008 servers now coming in. We are leading in terms of IT in healthcare and have just been nominated for an award for our mobile working project. We have 2 or 3 computer suites used for training, a new one due for the summer to replace a temporary one we have which will probably have around 15 machines in.

In education you all have your SIMS or what ever, we have SystmOne! Its one of a number of clinical systems that are used but its the one we push for everyone to use.

In May I will have worked here for 3 years, moving around different roles but now I am a Desktop Deployment Technician which isnt as good as it sounds. Main role of the job is to drive the van around installing and replacing kit, although at the moment I am visiting all of our laptops and reghosting them and installing various bits of software. Getting there slowly but surely.

Our main data centres have a decent connection through Europes biggest VPN called N3. All our sites have a ADSL/ISDN connection to this and some of the places in the sticks only get a 2mb up/down line which is good enough for them but when it comes to us wanting to roll software out its bad!

Hopefully within the next few months I will be moving over to our servers team and get more hands on like I used to be.

If anyone has any queries ask me

By the way GP's are the worst people to work for, they do nothing but moan!

Thank Post
    greetings matt...

i'm sure you'll be able to bring an interesting insight to the forum based on your experiences in NHS It.

We could all learn a bit from how larger IT depts. do things from time to time.

Thank Post
    Very useful indeed, the NHS is another area I'm looking into with some interest, different challenges but also different opportunities I think. Who knows, maybe a role will become available within your team Matthew...

*checks whether he's applied to anything in Lincolnshire*

Thank Post
    Thanks for the welcome, it would be nice to see how some of the smaller places work as well, things dont always go right in big places like ours!! I will get a topic started soon.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,317 Times in 1,630 Posts
    Hi all, particularly zdenka - as you say, there aren't many of us females around but there some: for example there's me, chrrb, andie, elsigee and little-miss to name a few

And just pat Jake on the head and put him back in his cage - in fact, who let him out anyway?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Welcome Matt

rad
    Thank Post
    Welcome everyone, dont be afraid to ask the stupid questions!

I did and got a quick answer. cheers all.

Thank Post
    Morning everyone!
    As you can see, i've been registered here for a while now but only just started posting!

I'm Mark, 25, and living on the shaky (and currently regrade-pending) title of Head of IT&Communication Services!
    Although originally from Yorkshire, I'm based in Cornwall and responsible for IT (and a handful of non-IT things!) in a secondary school in Cornwall. I also coordinate (and visit) primary schools within our cluster who buy in to our support instead of County's provision!

I'm hoping to take more of an active role in the forums, and currently interested in learning more about remote access / TS experiences of others, so you may see me post in those kind of topics quite a lot!

Cheers!

Mark

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Welcome Mark!

Good name btw

Thank Post
    The best, and proper way of spelling it too!

Thank Post

Hiya

Hi everybody

Got referred to this place some time back by wagnerk as we both hang out at Certforums too (so they'll be others that know me I'm sure ).

Brief history - 10 yrs in IT running my own support company (Microsoft technologies) which went bust, now job-hunting and looking at secondary schools or higher education as possible options for IT Manager type roles.

Some irons in the fire currently and have also dipped out on a couple of past ones (won't say which as they have been mentioned on here).

Always happy to help out wherever I can and strong supporter of BCS

Glad to be here !

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts

good to have you on board. good luck with the job hunting.
    Don't forget we have a jobs forum :

http://www.edugeek.net/forums/educational-jobs/

Thank Post
    Having just come back from an embc conference, from the mouth of the embc managing director (speaking of conversation from 6 months ago) - "There are not enough professionally qualified ICT teachers, what we need is a recession to drive them from industry into teaching."

Don't you just love people like that?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread