+ Post New Thread
Page 37 of 188 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787137 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, New Edugeek Users - Introduce yourself here :) in General; Oops..seem to have broken the thread, just says there are no posts for this topic now EDIT : ah wait..no ...
    Thank Post

Re: New Edugeek Users - Introduce yourself here :)

Oops..seem to have broken the thread, just says there are no posts for this topic now

EDIT : ah wait..no its working now that I made another post..must be the awesome power of Lynx Tech-scent !

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,716 Posts

Only two?
    Surely your ego believes that you could take all the edugeek females on at once?

(that would,of course, be fantasy - NOT reality!)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts

Jake get in the cage with your Amiga and Speccy
    *takes welder to weld it shut for good *

Ladies you should be safe for a small while...

Thank Post

Hi,
    I'm Chris, Network Manager at a 1200 pupil comp in S Wales, been here for 5 years and am currently trying to plan for our move to a new PFI school in Sept next year - major headaches and sleepless nights ahead!

Prior to education I worked as a techie for a manufacturing software company in Bristol.

Chris

Thank Post

I'm a net manager for a NW school been here for about three and half years. Prior to that worked for ICI and BASF vast majority of this employment was not in IT.

We're about 800 pupils and are being penciled in for a merge with another school in to a city academy

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,214 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries

Not in Preston are you?

Thank Post

Hi,
    I came across this site in my searchs for answers to some questions in the past and decided to create an account at last.

I'm an IT Technician for a fairly small Secondary school in Rugby, Warwickshire.
    Mostly RM equipment and Windows/CC3 networks here, though i have more of an interest towards linux and opensource personally when out of work.

Daniel

Thank Post

Greetings,

Like the user above, I discovered Edugeeks whilst desperately seeking answers to some pressing ICT questions...

I suffer the double heresies of being both a Teacher and an ICT Coordinator, at a very small, rural Primary in Suffolk (about 150 pupils on the roll). This is my first teaching post, and only my second year of professional practice (before Uni' I was the (paperwork) Administrator at a small computer company, so picked up odds and ends of technical knowledge). My current headaches comprise of an aging network using a (dwindling) conglomeration of Windows 98 PCs mixed in with Windows XP installed on machines which were out of date by the end of the 90s, barely held together by a Knowledgebox and Suffolk's own SlamNET software.

As far as Technical Support in the school goes, I'm it, which is a rather damning condemnation, as I'm a skilled amateur at best, and the epitome of 'a little knowledge is dangerous' at worst. The High School in our Pyramid had previously attempted to provide a Technician (who was worth his weight in gold!) to help us Primaries out, but his recent departure, and the Pyramid being in the middle of considering buying into outside TS, leaves us with little current onhand support.

At the moment, I'm trying to suss out and cost a complete replacement for our network, both in terms of hardware and software, which will be easy to use and caters to a (near-complete) lack of technical expertise. I get about 45 minutes each week on top of my PPA time to manage the ICT, which is invariably spent trying to coax some life out of our Network, thin out the piles of junk which have accumulated over the years in the ICT Suite, get information uploaded to our fledgling website, compile some kind of development plan, set-up consultations, and put together a handbook which gathers together the basics of how our existing system works (Ha!) in one place.

I'm only 26, but my partner's already spotted some white hairs...

Thank Post

> a very small, rural Primary in Suffolk

Which one?

> At the moment, I'm trying to suss out and cost a complete replacement
    > for our network, both in terms of hardware and software, which will be
    > easy to use and caters to a (near-complete) lack of technical expertise.

It might be an idea to have a look at the Cutter Project's system - thin-client based, should be able to reuse your existing workstations and just install a new server. Orwell High School in Felixstowe and Uplands Middle School have these systems installed, you might be able to go and have a look. Alternatively, our self-installed Edubuntu system work okay, just install Edubuntu on a server and attache clients to it.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Welcome, to the WORLD of TOMORROWW!!

Thank Post

Hi everybody

My name is Craig, I work at the British based International School of Cape Town In Cape Town South Africa.

We will have about 300 pupils total by the start of next year, this goes from pre reception to Upper Form 6. All in one building that was originally a house 8O

I'm in charge of the entire computer network, man alone as it is. We are slowly creeping towards 100 computers, a lot of it ancient stuff. We are completely private, and while CfBT does help, our budget is all local. So I'm working on a weird mix of new, old, and all inbetween.

Being man alone, I'm also responsible for the PABX phone system, photocopiers, fax machines, software, basically the whole package except the school website. I'm paid far under what I should be for supporting all of these things. Management said they will take under consideration the extra duties I've taken on, and will hopefully jack my salary up over R5000 a month. (About 800 pounds or so? I don't have currency conversion tables open in front of me right now :P )

Most of the staff are friendly enough, but they are terribly IT illiterate. I try my best to train but I don't have enough time to go into depth. Some of their questions are terribly basic, which is ok. I don't mind teaching and helping them learn. What I can't take are those who are too stuck up or too lazy to try and learn on their own and try to fix it before calling me.

I'm the longest lasting IT admin they've had, coming up to 3 years next July. I'm seriously starting to think of moving on though, I've started additional studies so I can get into the corporate world or somewhere better paid and with benefits. I got into working in a school because of my time in high school, but this place has now become a stress burden on me that isn't worth it. (Btw, am I too old to grump at 21? :scratch: )

Cheers all,

Craig 8)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,814 Times in 1,126 Posts
    Blog Entries

Welcome to all the recent newcomers.

Pull up a chair, enjoy the banter and be prepare to join in where you think you have something appropriate to offer.

Remember, no school too small and no school to far away to have some handy advice for others.

And no ... 21 is not to young to be a grump when you do tech support in schools.

Thank Post

Evening all,

just a quick greeting and introduction.

Primary Teacher, ICT subject leader, former Linux user, now Mac users.
    44 x CC3 RM machines, 3x CC3 RM Admin machines, one of which is running a virtual Win98 for some financial package (Don't ask!), 18 x CC3 RM Laptops, 16x vanilla windows machines, similar amount of teachers laptops, SMART boards, 2003 server, RM Cache Server (Would love to know how to get into if anyone is reading this) and an old server which has run a variety of OS in the last few years but I'm once again thinking about turning it into a Linux box for moodle (unless anyone has any other good suggestions?) oh and 420 children, 35 members of staff.

All is well as I have found a good technician, and no longer have to rely on my own skills or the secondary school tech, so just at the minute the disillusionment with ICT is fading and the enjoyable prospect of playing and developing stuff once again looms large.

Thank Post

Well!

I am enjoying this site very much! It has a stack of great resources!
    I'm the IT Manager at a Private School in Brisbane Australia. I have been managing it for about a year now. Learning a lot in the process as well.

My role entails being the manager of Operations, which essentially guides the IT departments direction.

I have a great crew. A fantastic Network Administrator who can sort out pretty much any problem we throw at him. A superb PC Imager, who looks after all the schools PC images, and a great IT support Technician who looks after the the staff and student issues.

We have around 475 PCs, Around 50 Macs, and around 25 servers, attached to three arrays.

We have around 1200 students covering P-12. The best thing about my work is the people. I work at a Christian school, and the staff are really superb.

We use a Novell Network and have integrated the Macs into this environment as well. Yes, they work differently, but overall I am impressed as to how they do work.

We also use Suse Linux and Ubuntu. All Pcs are currently on XP and as yet we have no plans for Vista. We have started to use VMware's ESX Server, which works quite well. We run two servers so we can switch if we ever need to from one to the other. Most of the network has been duplicated, thanks to my predecessor. This makes things a lot more reliable and allows us to switch over to the other system if we ever have a problem,.

Oh and we have around 120 staff.....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Hi All

Welcome to the forum all.... I wonder how did some of no-uk members found out about the site was random search or did someone tell you about us?

Regards

Russell

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread