+ Post New Thread
Page 31 of 185 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181131 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, New Edugeek Users - Introduce yourself here :) in General; Originally Posted by grahamc Originally Posted by mattcharlton Didn't know this place existed until the reg story was posted up ...

Thank Post

Re: New Edugeek Users - Introduce yourself here :)

Quote Originally Posted by grahamc
    Quote Originally Posted by mattcharlton
    Didn't know this place existed until the reg story was posted up re sophos, glad I've found it.
    Good to see that something positive has come out of the kerfuffle! :-)

Regards
    Graham Cluley, Sophos
    31 new accounts today. That must be a record.

The links effect in action

Thank Post

Hi all,

I'm a ICT Support Officer (since BSF, was a Technician), 18yrs old, worked for my college for the previous 5 years working my way up the food chain from trainee to the above, currently studying for my MCSE, just passed my A-Levels in ICT and start uni in Sept to study computer criminology and forensics.

One tip I would give, never start studying your MCSE whilst you are studying your A-Levels, it really kills the social life!

One benefit of studying and working at the same college is that you get to see both sides of the coin, you get to learn to beat certain staff members at there own act and just from reading the forums it is amazing how me and the rest of the team can relate to the experiences, then again working within education IT is certainly that, good or bad?..I am undecided!!!

Speak to you all soon...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries

Evenin' all.

I too discovered this place through The Register story

I am a IT manager/consultant/technician/workhorse (depends on who I'm talking too at the time!) for a primary school development group in Leicestershire.

I used to be a programmer but sought a less mind numbing career and ended up in education. Much more enjoyable.

After a bit of poking around, this place looks great, just hope I can offer a fraction of the help that I feel I will be taking away

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Welcome guys. ICT Support Officer - almost sounds like a proffessional title!

"IT manager/consultant/technician/workhorse (depends on who I'm talking too at the time!)" - me too

Thank Post

Like WEZ, another ex-crab to quote Grumbledook - not an ex-fish'ed are you Tony ? A long 17 yrs taking the Queen's shilling, mainly in the concrete chicken pens near St. Andrews :drinkers: , then a spell in Saudi :glasses1: trying to train RSAF technicians how to maintain laser targeting kit on their Tornadoes........ :banghead: Came back and went into network management with C & W for a few years, and now here in Shepperton as Network Manager at Thamesmead. 1k students, 2k3 & XP Pro, plus wireless, vpn etc.etc.

Thank Post

Hi all, I'm another Sophos/Register-induced newbie!

Been working in Colleges in London for 7 years programming data management thingies in MS Access (I know, I know, but one day I'll get round to learning a proper skill!). Currently trying to avoid getting sucked into WBL...

Thank Post

Hi

I'm Chris, i'm Network manager for a company that support primary schools all over yorkshire

Thank Post

'lo all

Ian, 21, been lurking for a while but decided to register today.

Network Tech (though will no doubt change, in the middle of a BSF project) at a secondary school in Wythenshawe.

Thank Post

Hello all,

Same as most, lurking for a while, decided to register. Great site, found it while panic trawling BSF info a few months ago

Network techie (again will no doubt change due to BSF) at secondary school in Chorlton, Manchester.

Thank Post

Hello all, another newcomer to the forums after the Sophos incident. Another ex RAF working in a large secondary school in Ellesmere Port, Cheshire. 3 of us, the boss, me, and the boy, actually 24 but went to this school so never really left. I worked in the IT industry for an outsource company for 5 years until I got "restructured " spent a couple of months enjoying the summer and started in this place. 5 2k3 servers some 250 xp & 2k workstations 350 xp laptops about 100 printers of all sorts, 120 projectors, and so on. not too bad but enough to keep us employed. too many kids and teachers who don't know computers.

Teacher with laptop in hand " I can't find my email"
    IT support "There is a shortcut on the desktop"
    I am not going back to the classroom now!"
    Us -ROFL, Teacher -annoyed.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the (x-Forces) and edugeek you will find a few of us x forces here i beleve we have pongos (army) bootnecks (marines) and the andrew (navy). Join in have fun and most af all they are only teachers after all.

Thank Post

Should really have done this before I started begging for help.....

I've always worked in the education sector since leaving university 3 years ago - yes I am quite young.

I'm currently the acting network manager for an average school in the stockport area. We have 1300 students and approximately 130 staff (But this seems to change daily).

We have something in the region of 400 PC's and 100 laptops all running Windows XP Pro. 9 Servers all running Windows Server 2003. 60 Projectors and 50 printers of various makes and models.

Our IT Support team now has 3 members, myself and two technicians.

Think that's it for now.

Hope this is the first of many posts.

Thank Post

Hi All...

Have been lurking here for a few weeks and am very glad I found this site (via El Reg)

My claim to fame is that I was one of the BOFH's original victims, being a student at Waikato University in NZ where Simon Travaglia worked when he started writing BOFH in the early 90's...

Thank Post

Hi there,

Im new on the scene, only been working in IT for the past 11months, currently the guy that does absolutely everything software/server/policys/network cabling related, whereas 6months ago i was general dogsbody running around replacing keyboards and mice 24/7...now thats passed onto the new guy

school has about 350 student access pcs, and around 150 laptops, all on windows XP pro SP2, servers primarily server 2003 R2

got to build 164pcs over the summer for a new building going up and 8 new servers (not inc the 2 new ones we already have had in the past few months) all our servers are HPs and we're slowly moving all our switchs over to being HP proliants (still got some old Dlinks left, and only one allied telesync left for me to beat with our microsoft hammer)

Our team consists of me, my manager and one other technician, all squashing into the office smaller than the cupboard under my stairs >_<

technicly ive been here for about 6 years now.....i went here for 5 years as a student, dont even ask why i came back, i still dont know :S

Thank Post

I got this job completely out of the blue. I have never worked in education or for Local Government before. My title is "Principal ICT Technician" which really means about as much to me as a cretin us creature that has flown into my car window screen and made a mess.

There is only little me looking after the IT demands of a 550 Student High School. I am actually really enjoying the job as the technology here is so old I can fix it standing on my head. The only problem being that I am on my own. So there’s no talking a problem through with anyone, the nearest thing here to someone up on IT is a mop in the Janitors cupboard.

The Plus side is that I get to make all the decisions and don’t have to second guess people which is great. So in the last 5 months I have been introduced to SIMS, Lisol, PPMS and NOVA6. All is good but this site is great for talking to people who might actually have a clue about what they are talking about. So there we go, Newbie Intro out.

PS - Is this website Forum an off the shelf app? If so what is it called?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread