+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 185 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, New Edugeek Users - Introduce yourself here :) in General; Originally Posted by andy It seems a lot of us have English teachers as 'other halves' (me too). Wonder what ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: New Edugeek Users - Introduce yourself here :)

Quote Originally Posted by andy
    It seems a lot of us have English teachers as 'other halves' (me too). Wonder what the relationship is there? Do they all despise IT as much as mine?

Andy
    The scary thing is she has picked up a serious amount of knowledge about IT. I am not sure whether it is by osmosis, by listening to my prattle at the end of each day or what.

I know there are stereotypes out there that certain departments know nowt about IT but She does not fit into that.

The good side is that when she needs stuff doing she can do it herself with no qualms, when she speaks to software / hardware suppliers (eg IWB stuff) she has openly laughed at them when they have tried to blag ... and told them to sling their hook and the reasons why, and it means that other than the odd thing at home, I never have to look at her machines.

The downside is that the NM at her school knows he cannot fob her off with an excuse ... and she knows how support works in schools, she knows if she is being palmed off with cr*p. It means that she *always* wants the best kit and she knows how to use it.

Thank Post

Network Manager for a all Girls' Grammar in Kent - and my other half can use MSN and that's about it :P

Quote Originally Posted by russdev
    there is one other female around here who dons board every so often that is linusgurlie but then nenevr met her so maybe it is just a rumour
    Nope, linuxgirlie is real LOL

Thank Post

"When a Technician tells you that they’ll be there shortly, reply in a scathing tone of voice: 'And just how many weeks do you mean by shortly?' – that motivates us."

I would simply tell whoever asked me in that tone of voice to 'shove it up the proverbial'.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries

"Don't forget that repeatedly turning the computer on and off before it has finished loading is nearly always the best fix for any problem. Should a member of the support team tell you otherwise they are obviously new and you should tell them how to do it properly.

"This also goes for telling a technician how to change the toner in your printer. They have probably not done it very often and will need reminding."

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    And so I put us in the same catagory of those further up the ladder than priests and doctors. You only ever say queen when talking about a historical figure, but Queen when talking about our present monarch (this is gained from instructions on speaking to members of the royal household given to civil servants and members of HM Services) When you talk about the almighty you say God.

And so you should talk about us as Geeks. We are worthy of the capital letter and so we should demand it! Only then will people truly know their place.
    can you call me queen on non uniform days?

beeswax

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    It means that she *always* wants the best kit and she knows how to use it.
    Sounds like a dangerous lady!

Thank Post

and *back on topic* [ ]......

Although not new and fragerant [or being able to spell either], I'd like to introduce myself too:

I'm ...er.... "IT dogsbody" in the good old way of "do this... do that... we dont need external companies to do it - you are the resident genius so you can do it all" type job description [maybe thats what it should be hehe]

I have a ICT co-ordinator above me who is also the deputy head and [bless him] got thrown into the IT role many moons back so I cant blame him from knowing little on IT [but not knowing what a IP address is was hilariously amusing lol].

As i'm only classed as ICT Support Officer [I think - on some things it still says IT Technician] I do 100% more than my job is lol network managing, setting up, yada yada yada.... We havent had a external company do anything IT-wise in years - muggins has [more-or-less] done the lot

I'm in the heart of wales [yes, countries do have hearts ok? lol] - u can see my sig/location for whereabouts - and have been in this job for 8 years it must be - its been so long that i forget lol

Side projects and spare time - when not talking to mark about work on msn lol - would be application repackaging, website stuff, repairing/building/condemning pc's outside of work, various development type things, [online] gaming,....and oh yes, watching films with my g/f / partner and going out on the 'lash' [when i can be bothered lol]

Did i mention moderating boards on edugeek? hehe and being active in a few other forums too

*Phew* well thats my life for you all on a silver platter lol

Cheers
    N.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by andy
    It seems a lot of us have English teachers as 'other halves' (me too). Wonder what the relationship is there? Do they all despise IT as much as mine?

Andy
    Funny that - I always put it down to me being a Renaissance Man and all

Perhaps its nature's way of evening up the gene pool....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Hi everyone

I've been a technician for 2 years, until I was moved over to the (temporary) role of "Website/VLE Manager" in my job for "numerous reasons".

I live "up north" in a town called Newton Aycliffe and travel to Bishop Auckland (few miles) to work in a medium-sized 11-16 secondary school.

My colleague, boss, and friend is on here too under the guise of "bossman" and should make an appearance shortly.

Nice to meet you all 8)

Thank Post

Hi all,

Thought it was about time I stopped lurking and this thread seems like the ideal place to 'come out' so to speak.

I have been ICT technician at a primary school for 3 years although I am currently off on maternity leave until early next year so I'm using this site and others to keep myself up-to-date while I'm off.

I can identify with others comments about being IT dogsbody and having an ever changing job description I have laughed heartily at some of the stories on here, it's good to know I'm not alone

Cheers
    Immacolata

Thank Post

Hi everyone
    I have never joined a forum before but this one is just too good miss out on. What a fantastic resource.

I have worked in a High School in Tameside near Manchester for over 2 years now. My official title is Network Manager but anything with a plug on seems to fall under my remit. We have 5 servers - approx 200 desktop clients - 60 laptops - a wireless network and all the usual stuff. Dropped RM about 18 months ago and went Win2k3 server and fully xp pro, being MCSE, A+, network+ e.t.c certified I wasn't too worried and haven't looked back. I have 1 technician who also looks after the web \intranet\vle side of things. I look after both curriculum (is that how you spell it?) and Admin networks and look forward to being actively involved in the forum in the future.

Thank Post

Hi everyone, I'm the Network Manager / Senior ICT Technician at a girls school in south east London.

James

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by papalazaroo
    I have worked in a High School in Tameside near Manchester for over 2 years now. My official title is Network Manager but anything with a plug on seems to fall under my remit. We have 5 servers - approx 200 desktop clients - 60 laptops - a wireless network and all the usual stuff. Dropped RM about 18 months ago and went Win2k3 server and fully xp pro, being MCSE, A+, network+ e.t.c certified I wasn't too worried and haven't looked back. I have 1 technician who also looks after the web \intranet\vle side of things. I look after both curriculum (is that how you spell it?) and Admin networks and look forward to being actively involved in the forum in the future.
    Welcome on board, papalazaroo

Your set up sounds similar to ours though we still have RM CC3 and I'm the website/vle person at the moment (pushed into by management & governors). Finished website and we don't even have a VLE yet I'm sure "Should be able to twiddle your thumbs in both directions" wasn't in my job description when I started :?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,249 Posts

Hi everyone,

I've been an ICT Technician for 5 years, managing a 2000/XP network at a Junior School in Birmingham. I recently became qualified as an MCP and slowly working my way up to an MCSE.

This is day two of me joining this forum and I think it's great. Friendly people, good advice and a general positive atmosphere. Good to meet you all - Mike

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Hello to all our new members wlecome aboard

feel like i should some 60's american tv character from an old little american town

"well howdy there stranger what can we do for you, have a some peacon pie..."

anyway

Russ

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread