+ Post New Thread
Page 15 of 179 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565115 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, New Edugeek Users - Introduce yourself here :) in General; Hey there, My name is Stu Joslin and I've just taken up a post at my school as a Sixth ...

Thank Post

Re: New Edugeek Users - Introduce yourself here :)

Hey there,

My name is Stu Joslin and I've just taken up a post at my school as a Sixth Form Network Manager.

I saw my boss Rob checking out this forum today and it looked exceeding useful, so I joined up and I look forward to becoming an active member of the community!

Take it easy

Stu

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Welcome Stu - you manage sixth form or you are sixth form???

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries

Welcome Stu.

I really enjoyed visiting your school and think that a lot of hard work has gone into it ... glad to see you, Rob and everyone at Corsham are here.

Thank Post

I am a sixth form student, but the school employ me to help look after things. A pretty sweet job!

Glad you like our school GrumbleDook

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I see - very interesting.

Thank Post

Hello,

My name is Oli and you'll probably be seeing A LOT of posts from me over the next few weeks.

I'm starting a new job / career as an ICT / TA at a primary school on Monday 9th Oct. My current job is as reservations manager for a travel company, where I've worked for 11 years!

The school that I'm going to has a nightmare mess of IT problems and whilst I consider myself fairly knowledgable I know that there will some things that I do not have a clue about.

They currently have a completly wireless network and as far as I'm aware no servers! There is a laser printer which is shared by all classrooms but is somehow installed as a local printer to each machine.
    This printer is now only accepting print jobs from one of the teachers laptops.

I guess there might be some IP address issues but until I start on Monday and get time to investigate I'm really pretty clueless. If any one has some pointers of things to check / look out for please let me know.

I have just started an online degree course through www.ultraversity.net and I believe at least 2 of my fellow students are involved in this forum.

Ok enough for now.

Cheers,

Oli

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Welcome Oli

Good to see some more from Ultraversity pop in ... hopefully we cab be of help to you and your ideas can be of help to us.

If you are looking at starting from scratch on a number of things I would search from posts by tickmike as rebuilt a system from scratch with help and advice from members.

I'm waiting to hear back on my ILP at the moment and look forward to working with you and the rest of Cohort 6 on the degree.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

good luck oli
    i have been there and am still trying bt getting there (just) welcome

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Hi Oli, welcome to the mad house

Thank Post

Hi all,

A thank you goes out to Tony for giving me the address for this site when we met the other day here was great to meet you and always great to get a diffrent view of other schools/colleges.

this web site/forum should be a great tool in solving problems that come up and stump us all.

My name is Rob I run the Network here at the Corsham School as you have seen i have 2 6th form helps stu being one and the other lad is called josh there a great help (sometimes) and its great to get the kids involved in the fixing the problems that can some times affect them, Clive is the other tec here and does a great job.

We have 1500 student over 100 staff 30 macs and 560 odd computers that incudes laptops the bane of my life.

Thank Post

Thought I would add my details. I am a self employed IT consultant. I the past I have been a ICT technician, Network Mangler (sorry Manager) and ICT Systems Manager in various school but I "see the light" and ran as far as I could from the madness they call education. I am currently on a rolling contact with an IT solutions contactor and I give you three guesses where the core of our customer base is focused.

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post

Evening all.

It's taken me 12months of working as the ITTech/Manager/Purchaser/Dogsbody/Electrician (computers use electricity so I obviously MUST be able to deal with everything else electrical) to find this site, but i'm glad I have, especially after I found out why the machines where taking so bloody long to load the profiles.

After several jobs ranging from driving a forklift to writing Oracle and SQLServer databases and frontends as a contractor whilst at Uni, I ended up getting a job in a school as a gap filler until I found a proper graduate job....and i'm still bloody here.

On the plus side at least the school has enough money for me to play with - I have upgraded the whole place to fibre optics*, which is a bit of a jump from the 10mb hubs# they were using when I walked into the place.

*Technically this is still in process due to cowboys not knowing how to follow directions or having a fleeting clue about best practice when installing fibre ie, put turns in the turning pit instead of just running it straight around the corner and hope it doesnt break, and when I say put in the empty subterranean pipe so it can be sealed, don't put it in the pipe with all the fecking electrically and firealarm cables and leave it unsealed...and breath.........I digress, it all works, but one of them needs to be pulled out and completely redone.

#yes, really, they had 250 machines running a mix of 95, 98 and XP all on a 10mb hub backbone. GAH!

Thank Post

Welcome home, Midget.

I hope that workload doesn't get in th way of ironing

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Welcome Midget ... pull up a chair, break out the chocolate and try not to mention the *I* word.

Please add yourself onto the EduGeek Map so we can see exactly where you are and we can sort out what christmas meet-up you can get to.

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    Welcome Midget ... pull up a chair, break out the chocolate and try not to mention the *I* word.

Please add yourself onto the EduGeek Map so we can see exactly where you are and we can sort out what christmas meet-up you can get to.
    I work in the deepest darkest Welsh Vahlees (spelt valleys) but actually live nowhere near there thankfully.

Are there any other welsh edutechs about? I know of only one other who actually knows what he's talking about (who may or maynot visit this site) and he's in cardiff and a SWLUG member.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread