+ Post New Thread
Page 132 of 188 FirstFirst ... 3282122128129130131132133134135136142182 ... LastLast
Results 1,966 to 1,980 of 2814
General Chat Thread, New Edugeek Users - Introduce yourself here :) in General; Hello again and thanks for the welcome(s), I'd love to take some business from here but I'm a realist and ...
    Unvalidated User
    Thank Post
    Hello again and thanks for the welcome(s), I'd love to take some business from here but I'm a realist and a Yorkshireman and realise "Tha can't get owt for nowt". I joined to get some insight in to the Educational Sector, to find out how contracts are awarded and to offer any help I can.

I realise the easiest way to find this information out is to help and in time hopefully my questions will be answered.

Once again, thanks for the warm welcome,

Rob

Thank Post
    Hi everyone, regular stalker but first time poster. I'm Dave, been working in education as tech support, for the best part of 12 years now, firstly for Leeds University, now a secondary school in Liverpool. I've fallen in love with this place already and will definitely be picking the brains of everyone here as I think I'll need it with some of the upcoming projects I have in mind

Thank Post
    Hi All! I am an English Language teacher trying to incorporate digital technologies into my teaching. I teach at both a college and privately.
    I joined EduGeeks in the hope that I may be able to learn a little more and, more specifically, to see if I can find a solution to our online learning needs.

Together with a few colleagues I have been looking at VLEs for over a year now and unfortunately we have made little headway owing to the fact that none of them seem quite right for what we are looking for.

Ultimately, I want to be able to store / manage my teaching resources so I can access them from one place (online) and also share them with my students so they can access them online too (from home and even on the go via smartphones/tablets). I'd like, for example, to be able to create an online 'repository' where my students can go and browse through all the materials I have used in class -from documents and videos to simple web links. Other than the "traditional" VLEs (Moodle, etc) does anyone know of any other (simple and inexpensive!) solutions?

Although I have tried installing Moodle myself we found it pretty complicated and to be honest I’m not sure we need 90% of the features it offers anyway. So far we have been using USBs and even emailing students (not great solutions!) and more recently have started using an online file-sharing platform called Dropbox but that got a little muddled as it wasn’t easy for students to search for resources (plus I needed to share links which it doesn’t do).

Advice or recommendations would be much appreciated.
    Look forward to getting to know the community here...
    Thanks All!
    Emma

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Welcome to EduGeek, Emma.

I think a Wiki would be a good fit for what you want to achieve. There are loads of free ones that have similar requirements to Moodle (but generally easier to install) - some of the most popular ones:

Wikka: Welcome to WikkaWiki
    MediaWiki
    http://www.dokuwiki.org/dokuwiki

Or, you could use a hosted solution like Wikispaces or pbwiki.

This might help deciding: WikiMatrix - Compare them all

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,439 Times in 1,192 Posts
    dave and emma

emma - @ we use wikispaces. i was going to recommend some of the usual suspects i.e. frog, sharepoint etc. but if cost is an issue, perhaps look at office365 for enabling shared spaces, shared resources and collaboration. It has it's pros and cons but at least it's bound within your school domain wrapper. Similar would be google apps. You'll find more info in some of the other threads if you look around.

Thank Post
    Hello all

Joined in June 09 yet this is my first post! Have spent 12+ years working in Education MIS and currently working as SIMS Data Manager/Exams Officer/Timetabler in a North East secondary school. Looking forward to being a bit more involved in the EduGeek community

Andy.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,439 Times in 1,192 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ajp233 View Post
    Hello all

Joined in June 09 yet this is my first post! Have spent 12+ years working in Education MIS and currently working as SIMS Data Manager/Exams Officer/Timetabler in a North East secondary school. Looking forward to being a bit more involved in the EduGeek community

Andy.
    Andy, I'll consider you as another convert from being an experienced lurker to novice poster Come join the affray in MIS forum
    Last edited by vikpaw; 29th March 2011 at 12:37 PM. Reason: typo

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbeckett View Post
    Hello, I'm Daniel, or more commonly known around school as Mr Beckett!

I graduated from Uni just over a year ago and i've been working ever since in an all girls catholic school in Southampton as an IT Technician.
    Pics or GTFO

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,752 Posts
    Welcome to all the ones I missed - pull up a chair, get a coffee and an eduhobnob and pitch in!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,511 Times in 1,032 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jordaneunson View Post
    Pics or GTFO
    You'd be disappointed - "all girl's catholic school" might sound good but then you go to "southampton" and it ruins it all!

11. Thanks to sonofsanta from:

nephilim (25th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Hi all.

Thought i would say hi, Been here for while but never said hi. Ive been working as a ICT Techy for 6 months temp though an agency. Went for a Job interview (same school, same job) and i got a years contract starting after Easter but doing 3 Days a week with the Agency till then.

Karl

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 1,465 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well done Karl. If all goes well they might offer you a full time contract at the end of it so who knows!

Thank Post
    Hi, I'm new to Edugeek. I look after a number of primary schools. Just wanted to say hi and I look forward to being a part of the Edugeek community.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lmsg2011 View Post
    Hi, I'm new to Edugeek. I look after a number of primary schools. Just wanted to say hi and I look forward to being a part of the Edugeek community.
    Welcome aboard hope you enjoy the site.

Thank Post
    HI, Everyone!

Names Manny, I'm located in the US! I currently do IT support for a Charter School.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread