+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Microsoft Certification MCITP or MCSA? in General; Hi everyone. I've been looking at doing a Microsoft Certification but I'm getting a bit confused on which one to ...

Thank Post

Microsoft Certification MCITP or MCSA?

Hi everyone.

I've been looking at doing a Microsoft Certification but I'm getting a bit confused on which one to go for. I have looked on the Microsoft Learning website where I found the following:

Microsoft Certified IT Professional: Server Administrator on Windows Server 2008
    MCITP (Microsoft Certified IT Professional) | Training Courses for IT Professionals

Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate: Windows Server 2008
    MCSA: Windows Server 2008 Certification

Both of these certifications require the same exams (70-640, 70-642 and 70-646). If I just did these three exams which certification would I receive?
    On the certification overview diagram (Certification Overview) the MCITP is listed as Expert level but the MCSA is listed as Associate level.

I hope someone can advise me on this

Thanks

Gav

Thank Post
    From the second page you listed:
    "Already certified as a Microsoft Certified IT Professional (MCITP): Enterprise Administrator or MCITP: Server Administrator?
    You have already earned the MCSA: Windows Server 2008 certification."

Thank Post
    Cheers.

So do you know if I will get both of these then or is the MCSA replacing the MCITP?

Gav

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have completed my MCITP certification, I can't quite remember what the exam numbers are but I can look them up if u want? There is a great MS tool called Certificate Planner...tells u exactly what you need for a specific qualification

edit - you need to be an MCP to access the cert. planner, apologies

Mart
    Last edited by mmoseley; 6th May 2012 at 08:45 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,897 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gavlar View Post
    is the MCSA replacing the MCITP?
    Sort of, as long as you mean MCITP:SA and not MCITP:EA (or any of the other MCITPs).

Quote Originally Posted by Microsoft
    Q. Does MCSA equate to MCITP: Server Administrator and does MCSE equate to MCITP: Enterprise Administrator?
    A. No, not exactly. The MCITP on Windows Server 2008 certification requires a new skill set—in some cases, a more robust one—that differs from the skill set needed for MCSA and MCSE certifications.

MCITP: Server Administrator certification covers more operations-related job skills than the MCSA certification.
    MCITP: Enterprise Administrator maps to an actual job role profile, whereas the MCSE certification does not. The latter combines technology and job skills. (Source)
    Both of these certifications require the same exams (70-640, 70-642 and 70-646).
    If I just did these three exams which certification would I receive?
    You would become a Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate on Windows Server 2008. To become an MCSA on Windows Server 2012, you will have to wait a bit longer.

On the certification overview diagram the MCITP is listed as Expert level but the MCSA is listed as Associate level.
    Once you are an MCSA after taking the three exams mentioned above, you can then do 70-643 + 70-647 + (70-620 or 70-680 or 70-681) to become a Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert. The MCSA is a prerequisite to achieving an MCSE certification.

People who are already MCITP:EA's will need to do take two additional exams covering System Center before they can become MCSEs.

If you were MCITP Server Administrator and took the 70-640, 70-642 and 70-646 previously you’ll be automatically converted to an MCSA, but if you were a MCITP Enterprise Admin (haven't taken the 640, 642, 643, 647, and a client exam) you won’t become a MCSE unless you take two more exams covering System Center. (Source)
    Although Microsoft is expressing a somewhat clear mapping of how the current certifications map to the new ones, the way you achieve the new certifications is not exactly the same process. For instance, in Windows Server 2008 you could achieve MCTS status by taking any one of the many exams available. In order to achieve MCSA status you must take the 70-640, 70-642, and 70-646 exams. Microsoft explains that you will become part of the Microsoft Certified Program with the passing of any one exam and will have access to the private MCP site where you can view your transcript and progress toward certification. (Source)
    Further reading...
    Understanding the New MCSE Certifications from Microsoft / The MCSE is back

6. 2 Thanks to Arthur:

gavlar (7th May 2012), mmoseley (7th May 2012)

Thank Post
    I'm trying to get work to fund the MCITP books at moment, is it still worth buying them now they are messing them all up again?

Thank Post
    You can still consider 70-640, 70-642, 70-646 as the are the foundation ones for everything. This will give you the MCSA and is the same exams as the MCITP:SA was. Make sure you get the second editions though that covers R2 content.
    Last edited by ChrisH; 7th May 2012 at 05:35 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dave.81 View Post
    I'm trying to get work to fund the MCITP books at moment, is it still worth buying them now they are messing them all up again?
    70-646 both ms and the only other book i can find get poor reviews along the lines of stuff on the exam aint in the book but ive not done the exam yet watching cbt nuggets slowly

Thank Post
    Thanks for the responses. I think what confuses things even more for me is that the new Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA) uses the same initials as the old Microsoft Certifed Server Administrator (MCSA). I know that the old MCSA was for server 2003 and previous.

Originally Posted by Microsoft

Q. Does MCSA equate to MCITP: Server Administrator and does MCSE equate to MCITP: Enterprise Administrator?
    A. No, not exactly. The MCITP on Windows Server 2008 certification requires a new skill set—in some cases, a more robust one—that differs from the skill set needed for MCSA and MCSE certifications.

MCITP: Server Administrator certification covers more operations-related job skills than the MCSA certification.
    MCITP: Enterprise Administrator maps to an actual job role profile, whereas the MCSE certification does not. The latter combines technology and job skills. (Source)
    I believe this quote refers to the old MCSA?

Although i am planning to do the certification for my benefit, how do you think employers view these qualifications?
    Will they know that the MCITP:SA is the same as the new MCSA? Or will they presume that one is better than the other.

Thank Post
    The problem has been that the HR droids never got familiar with MCITP and seem to still ask for MCSE/MCSA.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dave.81 View Post
    I have been looking at these books MCITP Windows Server 2008 Server Administrator: Training Kit 3-Pack: Exams 70-640, 70-642, 70-646, 2nd Edition Book/CD Package: Amazon.co.uk: Dan Holme, Nelson Ruest, Danielle Ruest, Tony Northrup, J.C. Mackin, Ian McLean, Orin Thomas, Jason Kellingt
    Has anyone used them? What did you think?

I have also been looking at the Academic exams (start with 72) as they are the same as the normal exams but at a reduced price.

Students, educators, and IT support staff of academic institutions as well as Microsoft IT Academy members are eligible to receive academic pricing on select Microsoft Certification exams. In some regions, the academic pricing can be up to 50 percent off the commercial price. Take advantage of the cost savings today and become certified to display your expertise on Microsoft technologies.
    Microsoft Programs for Students and Educators l IT Career Resources l Microsoft Learning
    Does anybody know if UK secondary schools are classed as academic institutions in the eyes of Microsoft? If so, exams on at prometric are reduced to £55 ex VAT which is a great saving IMO.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread