+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Down with the Kids in General; Originally Posted by mrbios Kids here greet my manager with "YES MURF" (his names merv) .......since when did "yes" become ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    Kids here greet my manager with "YES MURF" (his names merv) .......since when did "yes" become a conversation starting word or greeting? o_O
    Quite a while ago if you live here in Luton, I remember it being around when I was in high school 14+ years ago!

It tends to be used by the more, shall we say, 'street' speaking youths around here...

Thank Post
    I often get "Miss told me to come here and ask for <manager_first_name> or <technician_first_name>" and the "Oh, while you're here <manager_first_name>" when you walk in a classroom. Then the pupils think it's great they know your first name, especially when other teaching staff including SLT always refer to you as <mr_surname>.

Another random thing is that some of the Year 11s call their teacher just by his surname with a y on the end (if you know what I mean). I know he was always telling them not to so I wonder if he's given up or decided that the more he tells them not to do it the more they will do it.

Thank Post
    Some kids call me Draco apparently I look like Draco Malfoy?! Others refer to me as Mr $surname or sir...

Thank Post
    walking through town during easter i hear "ooo hi Mr $boss'_surname" and their friends corrected them and giggled.

we dont have real problems here, afew staff do call me by my first name in class rooms but the kids never have.

you do hear the occasional "cheers mate"

Thank Post
    I get "Karl" (name), or "Ben" (as in Bill &)..NM is Bill I'm guessing.

We've also been referred to as "Gods", "geek squad", "Nerve Centre" (by the head!)..the list goes on.

Our Radio call-signs are "big boy" (6ft+ NM), and "Rubber Duck" (Me, because..why not.).

Such lines as "Come in big boy, come in big boy, it's rubber duck. we have a situation down here." always make people smile..
    Last edited by Sirbendy; 3rd May 2012 at 02:10 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,960 Times in 1,358 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirbendy View Post
    Our Radio call-signs are "big boy" (6ft+ NM), and "Rubber Duck" (Me, because..why not.).

Such lines as "Come in big boy, come in big boy, it's rubber duck. we have a situation down here." always make people smile..

I don't think I could do that...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,920 Times in 1,419 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was always the cool member of staff...last week of term I bought in an xbox for the IT suite (all games under age of 12, only those with exceptional behaviour could play and it was used on the projector)...the rest used the PC's with loosened restrictions (kids-tube opened up but monitored closely, games sites opened up with adblockers etc)

Thank Post
    I've had guests to the school say things like "OH so you're the resident geek here are you?" when I'm introduced to them.

Though one of them (my favourite person to visit the school, coincedently) upon my introduction as IT Manager repled with "Ahhh, so, you're the guy who really runs things around here then *wink*"

Made me chuckle, which was quite apt as he was in promoting "laughology"!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I used to get called Lurch in my old job and sometimes my manager and I were Pinky and the Brian

I have no idea what they call me here, possibly something unpleasant

Thank Post
    I used to get called Neo at my last school due to the fact that I could normally be seen wandering round school wearing a 3/4 length leather jacket (although *pedantic hat on* Neo never actually wears a leather jacket in the Matrix), but I quite liked this.....was much better than the few kids who called me Peter Kay

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain.Faulkner View Post
    I used to get called Neo at my last school due to the fact that I could normally be seen wandering round school wearing a 3/4 length leather jacket (although *pedantic hat on* Neo never actually wears a leather jacket in the Matrix), but I quite liked this.....was much better than the few kids who called me Peter Kay
    Haha!

We're a first name school here.

Thank Post
    I was asked by a boy yesterday "My memory stick doesnt work. Are you the janitor?" That was a definite moment

Thank Post
    :: Disappointed :: Was expecting a rousing call to depose Kids from their unprecedented position at the centre of the universe and get 'em all back to sweeping chimneys...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,403 Times in 1,691 Posts
    I usually get called Mrs (name) Computer Person by the children. I'm actually Ms but I'm not going to argue!
    The staff are mostly careful not to call me by my first name in front of the children to keep things professional.
    The children like to come to see me because I have various posters around my workstation - from the ubiquitous 'Don't Panic - Turn it off and on Again' to the 'GeekHorde Membership' poster

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,787 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Satan, IT Troll, Mr Aaaaaanndddeeerrssssoooon, Sir, baldy, beardy, Mr $name, and Shep.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast