+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, MPs to get free iPads at taxpayer's expense in General; MPs to get free iPads at taxpayer's expense - Telegraph Not sure what to make of this! I guess in ...
    Thank Post

MPs to get free iPads at taxpayer's expense

MPs to get free iPads at taxpayer's expense - Telegraph

Not sure what to make of this! I guess in some ways it's more secure than giving them laptops though.

All they need to add now is an expenses App
    Last edited by flyinghaggis; 2nd May 2012 at 01:59 PM.

Thank Post
    I have one thing to say:

Thank Post
    Thieving scum. The bloody EU parliament did exactly the same thing. "Ooooh, a shinie, I want it and taxpayers should pay for it!"

Thank Post
    It's actually a more cost effective solution than the chopping down half a rainforest paper based solution they had before, so I've no problem with this. I do have a problem with their subsidised bars which mean they turn up to vote so pd that they can't remember where to go to vote!

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think its a great idea personally.

I don't subscribe to this "mps don't deserve anything" view. I think they should be given the tools to get on with their jobs.

EDIT: I just read the entire article and its highly misleading. It actually says they will be given the option to have an iPad instead of their current laptops. Its the same policy as we have in school. iPads are actually cheaper than new laptops.
    Last edited by zag; 2nd May 2012 at 03:04 PM.

Thank Post
    Some teachers have them in our school. Not sure if they should be classed as scum?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Related to the subsidised bars point, I remember reading in the paper at break today that in future, Commons bar staff "will be encouraged to stop serving anyone who has had too much to drink".

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I worked in a pub many years ago, and I'm pretty sure that under the Licensing Act it's illegal for bar staff to serve someone who is already drunk, and I was backed up 100% by the landlord if I refused. So why exactly are Commons staff only now being told to actually follow this law?

I don't have a problem with them having iPads if they actually use them for their work. But the minute we get a still from BBC Parliament of someone playing Angry Birds in the chamber, or watching pr0n, I want them beaten to death with it.
    Last edited by AngryTechnician; 2nd May 2012 at 03:20 PM.

Thank Post
    You're absolutely right @AngryTechnician, unfortunately a lot of laws don't apply in the House of Commons bars, such as the smoking ban and iirc some of the licencing laws. It really is one rule for us, one for them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    It's actually a more cost effective solution than the chopping down half a rainforest paper based solution they had before, so I've no problem with this.
    Hmmm, so you think that a) this was the (real) thinking behind it and b) they won't be getting all those print outs?

Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    I think its a great idea personally.

I don't subscribe to this "mps don't deserve anything" view. I think they should be given the tools to get on with their jobs.

EDIT: I just read the entire article and its highly misleading. It actually says they will be given the option to have an iPad instead of their current laptops. Its the same policy as we have in school. iPads are actually cheaper than new laptops.
    When the MPs/teachers find that typing etc isn't so easy on their iPads they will no doubt have a laptop funded as well.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    Hmmm, so you think that a) this was the (real) thinking behind it and b) they won't be getting all those print outs?

When the MPs/teachers find that typing etc isn't so easy on their iPads they will no doubt have a laptop funded as well.
    And this is why i have an issue with them, they will still want print outs and they will still resort to a laptop - I bet.

And lets not forget - we are still in a country that is suffering from the financial crises let alone Unemployment issues.

Nevermind though as long as people get their fancy toys?
    Last edited by mthomas08; 2nd May 2012 at 04:20 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by reggiep View Post
    Some teachers have them in our school. Not sure if they should be classed as scum?
    Maybe scum is a bit harsh, but I'm certainly not impressed by those staff members (most of whom are on double my wage) that have managed to get the school to finance their toys when staff hours are being cut and it's hard to get books bought.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We have iPads in school now and they have been a great success so far. Really impressive to see what teachers have done with them. Its the future for sure.

As for a keyboard, there are some brilliant bluetooth keyboards these days for the ipad.

Kickstarter project aims to turn iPad into MacBook Air | iPad Atlas - CNET Reviews

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    Related to the subsidised bars point, I remember reading in the paper at break today that in future, Commons bar staff "will be encouraged to stop serving anyone who has had too much to drink".

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I worked in a pub many years ago, and I'm pretty sure that under the Licensing Act it's illegal for bar staff to serve someone who is already drunk, and I was backed up 100% by the landlord if I refused. So why exactly are Commons staff only now being told to actually follow this law?

I don't have a problem with them having iPads if they actually use them for their work. But the minute we get a still from BBC Parliament of someone playing Angry Birds in the chamber, or watching pr0n, I want them beaten to death with it.
    You're absolutely right @AngryTechnician, unfortunately a lot of laws don't apply in the House of Commons bars, such as the smoking ban and iirc some of the licencing laws. It really is one rule for us, one for them.
    They are exempt as they are technically in the palace of westminister, all royal palaces are exempt from most legislation along with embassies.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold_99 View Post
    They are exempt as they are technically in the palace of westminister, all royal palaces are exempt from most legislation along with embassies.
    So if the law does not apply there does it mean that someone could walk in, take out the trash and not be considered a murderer?

To any monitoring agencies: I am not suggesting that anyone should do this, merely wondering what the legal stance would be if it happened.

Thank Post
    It's actually a more cost effective solution than the chopping down half a rainforest paper based solution they had before, so I've no problem with this. I do have a problem with their subsidised bars which mean they turn up to vote so pd that they can't remember where to go to vote!
    This isn't going to affect the amount that's printed. Nor are MPs going to use them to work on. It's a pisstake is what it is.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast