+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Our new school build puts the techies' office in the server room in General; I don't want to cause panic but surely the architect was made aware that there would be 4 people working ...
    Thank Post
    I don't want to cause panic but surely the architect was made aware that there would be 4 people working in that space? If not then was he told that there will be only 2 people by the time the space is occupied?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alan-d View Post
    I don't want to cause panic but surely the architect was made aware that there would be 4 people working in that space? If not then was he told that there will be only 2 people by the time the space is occupied?

It's a long story, but basically the architect was planning for our school to be under a Managed Service Provider (MSP) which meant that there would only be one techie on site. The MSP has pulled out of all schools in our area, returning those who have been Tuped back to their respective schools, and the new build budget has been cut with the consequence that the school won't be getting the floor space that was originally specified.

Thank Post
    Who could have predicted managed services would fail? oh wait, everyone.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,399 Times in 962 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Temperature won't get you anywhere I'm afraid - UK H&S only stipulates a minimum level, below which you are permitted to leave your office and refuse to work until your employer sorts it out (I'm paraphrasing, obv). There is, unfortunately, no maximum temperature though - the only provision is that if your office is too warm, you are entitled to take a ten minute break away to cool down.

Where this falls down is that as an IT techie you have sensitive data and valuable kit lying around, so have to lock your door. And your door is probably a fire door with no vent. And you have half dozen desktops and laptops all pumping out heat in this enclosed space while you take your break, such that when you come back, it's hotter than it was before and has solved nothing.

/bitter voice of experience

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 741 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We live in the server room here and you get used to the noise. After 10 years you don't notice it anymore. It's not so loud that it causes issues for us thankfully. Our servers are seated on a wooden box plinth which absorbs quite a bit of the noise.

Thank Post
    Have a look at this - further reading is listed at the bottom.

Edit:- Forgot to add http://www.hse.gov.uk/contact/faqs/roomspace.htm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Our new school build puts the techies' office in the server room-hse-work-space.pdf  
    Last edited by alan-d; 2nd May 2012 at 10:44 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,412 Times in 1,866 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beeswax View Post
    It's a long story, but basically the architect was planning for our school to be under a Managed Service Provider (MSP) which meant that there would only be one techie on site. The MSP has pulled out of all schools in our area, returning those who have been Tuped back to their respective schools, and the new build budget has been cut with the consequence that the school won't be getting the floor space that was originally specified.
    Oh I know that one well - this school was built with an MSP being in mind, so now that the MSP is no longer here, we have no proper office - we're currently squatting in an office but it is wanted back by the department that owns it, and they have now started looking for a new location for us. Plain and simple, there isn't enough office space at all.

Constant buzzing like that from servers can and does cause tinnitus. My dad suffers from it due to buzzing equipment in his room at work. I simply wouldn't work in a server room - it is not safe to do so for your health.

Thank Post
    After 5 years of working with 4-8 servers around me all the time I don't even notice the sound anymore - in fact when I go into other people's offices around the school I find it too quiet, sometimes catch myself humming for 'background noise' LOL!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, I dont even hear background noise anymore! I think im just used to the constant humming!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mmoseley View Post
    Yeah, I dont even hear background noise anymore! I think im just used to the constant humming!
    It's better than when I used to share my room with other people on PPA etc.
    I'd rather have constant humming than constant whinging! lol

11. Thanks to Pete10141748 from:

Alis_Klar (28th June 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Our office here is also the server room, while the air-con is nice the noise is still annoying but you do get used to it over time much like the ticking of a clock

Thank Post
    Ours is adjoined by the server room, with double glazed doors between. It does cut out a fair amount, but the drone is there, the white noise of the big aircon units, and the whine from the UPS inverter..to be fair it just becomes part of the background.

Thank Post
    The reason some of you aren't hearing the servers any more is that you are probably going deaf on the frequency range of the server fans, quite a common problem when you are exposed to the type of noise servers make.

Thank Post
    Well it's started to happen to me with my girlfriend's voice range...

'selective hearing' she calls it :P

I suppose "not hearing" it isn't what we mean, more like we stop noticing it as an intruding noise and are just used to hearing it, much like when you can hear cars going past your house while trying to go to sleep and after a while you don't 'notice' the doppler effect any more.

For anyone missing out, treat yourself to this! Background Noise
    Last edited by Pete10141748; 2nd May 2012 at 01:09 PM.

16. Thanks to Pete10141748 from:

teejay (2nd May 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12