+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, On the run up to the summer holidays here. in General; Well, out of nine schools, I have two really busy ones. In one, I have to rebuild ten machines in ...

Thank Post

Re: On the run up to the summer holidays here.

Well, out of nine schools, I have two really busy ones.

In one, I have to rebuild ten machines in two hours a week before the summer, and the other everything is just manic.

The other seven, however, are really quiet as we're winding down (still 4 weeks here too) so there's basically b***er all to do!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Nij.UK
    Is it not a bit early to be breaking up for summer already, or am i just being stupid, schools and stuff around leicestershire are breaking up for summer around the 13th july...
    Not really - Scottish schools wrap up around now (but do go back mid-August) and most if not all English independent schools have finished by the second week of July - we finish on 6th.

State schools round here go until 25th, so your 13th is actually quite early!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by NickJones
    Quote Originally Posted by Nij.UK
    Is it not a bit early to be breaking up for summer already, or am i just being stupid, schools and stuff around leicestershire are breaking up for summer around the 13th july...
    Not really - Scottish schools wrap up around now (but do go back mid-August) and most if not all English independent schools have finished by the second week of July - we finish on 6th.

State schools round here go until 25th, so your 13th is actually quite early!
    Well this is leicestershire im talking about, and they do tend to wrap up a week before most the uk

Cheers for the insight

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by rsarg
    we have 32 laptops and 65 new desktops coming soon and then it's the moving of the better desktops to other rooms for old ones wat a good 6 weeks we r goin to have lol
    good luck, we have limited funds this year so i guess it will be a case of consolidating what we have.

We are migrating to a vanilla setup so currently rolling out new xp images across the site.

And then after four weeks one has to go to india for 3 weeks inluding a weeks stay in GOA! bring it on!!!!!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,317 Times in 1,630 Posts

Just been told unofficially that I will have to clear out my store room in the summer as the water pipes in there need work.
    My switches are in there!!
    Also have been told that there will be no access to the school at all in the summer due to drainage work.
    So what exactly am I supposed to do with the 20 machines being kindly donated to me by a lovely fellow edugeeker?
    I havent even got a garage!
    AND I havent been told ANY of this officially, which is a bit daft as I go on holiday on July 13th

Thank Post

One of my schools is moving across to a new school building and are getting brand new equipment so all the old is being sold off. It is a race against time to DBAN, create and deploy xp images to them all by the end of term. If that wasn't enough I am setting up server - client networks from scratch in 3 schools and don't even have the hardware at 2 yet.

Better to burn out than to fade away I suppose!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

So what exactly am I supposed to do with the 20 machines being kindly donated to me by a lovely fellow edugeeker?
    Store them in the heads office. I find that usually gets the point across. If your not feeling that brave. Try the staff room. Preferably in the way of the brew making facilities or photocopier.

AND I havent been told ANY of this officially, which is a bit daft as I go on holiday on July 13th
    Ah well, you were never told then. Were you?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

Hey don't block my copiers in, there is only the man in charge of reprographics allowed to box copiers in and thats me Besides, you never know when you may need to copy some more DO NOT FEED JAKE Signs to go round his cage

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,317 Times in 1,630 Posts

Good idea about staff room - but the problem is that I have been told that the drain repair means that the whole school will be out of bounds.

There is one advantage to never being told anything - you can do what you like!!

Thank Post

all chilled here really. Just have to have our vle implemented, new server installed for moving the admin network off its current subnet and joined to the curriculum network, sims data transfer, bromcom and all the other gubbins that goes with it, network down for the first week, set up 210 workstation ready for move into new school in feb next year and that's before they start coming to me and asking about dvd players for the last week of term so they can watch shrek.

Although i had a request the other day for a presentation suite be setup in our lower school hall so that they could play a dvd through an OHP !!!! novel idea.....

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by projector1

And then after four weeks one has to go to india for 3 weeks inluding a weeks stay in GOA! bring it on!!!!!!
    Have a gud time i am goin Turkey for two weeks so thats my break cant wait

Thank Post

Go to do the following!

VLE Rollout
    ISA Server Installation
    Full teacher laptop maintenance (looking at 80+ laptops)
    Upgrade all server memory
    45 New machines
    25 new laptops
    SMS server
    Workstation maintenance (450+ workstations)
    UPS Battery Replacement
    Gutting one IT Room an Open Area and re shaping both
    Server Updates
    Microsoft Project Server Installation
    Install Linux Web Server

And 6 weeks to do it in!

Might need to bring in the sleeping bag and lots of calls to pizza hut!

Thank Post

It's a bloody nightmare here at the minute on the build up to summer holidays. The school is getting everyone down, the leadership is crap, and I'm just fed up with everything ... hence being sat down in the deputy's room reading through this site. Didn't realise there was a site like this. Glad I found it.

Just looking forward to installing the new server and network equipment over the holidays and running the summer school ... if it actually gets set up in time for the holidays. Only 2 and a half weeks to go!!!

Thank Post

Still busy here but school ends on Friday for 2 months so it's all good!

Over the past 2 weeks I've been trialling 1 laptop trolley in preparation for two to go into service in September. Busy busy! Essential that I learnt what was required though for me to do over the summer to ensure they work better.

My list of work to do this summer is ever increasing - plus with me saving my holidays from half terms, xmas and easter, I have my full holiday allowance available to me this summer. I reckon I'll take 3 weeks minimum, with every Monday off in August too.

Some sixth years brought me nice pressies today too as it was their leaving assembly It's hard to believe it's only been a school year since I started here but today just helped make it all worthwhile - so nice to be appreciated!

Thank Post

So far my list for the summer is:

Totally empty the server room, move racks and put it all back tidily for the first time in 3 years
    Finish setting up a new server
    Go round every laptop in the school to change some wireless settings due to the server change
    Blitz the ISA server and start again from scratch, hoping to get it working properly
    Recable some points that are just simply...crap
    Change a few more server roles so that the oldest one is retired

Thats just so far
    We also have an huge new block opening, so assuming its on schedule we need to get in there and set up various switches, computers and whiteboards. Also have another new IT suite being installed

Plus Ive still got 2 weeks holiday to take out of the 6

I love the holidays though, so chilled out and you can get on with some REAL work rather than dealing with pointless problems all day and just patching things up

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast