+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Technologies used in schools in General; I'd like to know what kind of "technologies" are being used in schools so I can set myself some goals ...

Thank Post

Technologies used in schools

I'd like to know what kind of "technologies" are being used in schools so I can set myself some goals in terms of studying over the next year.

Networking - I have my CCNA and I'm almost finished with CCNP (one exam left), so in terms of networking I'm ok. I should familiarise myself with the HP CLI, though.

Windows Server - I need to learn Windows Server, I think MCITP:SA would be a good start... perhaps I'll start studying for it in the summer -- as long as I complete it before I finish my degree that's fine.

I think having good knowledge of networking and Windows Server should put me in a good position once I finish my degree. Other technologies such as virtualisation, SANs, backup systems etc shouldn't be too difficult to pick up on, I doubt I'd have to go into much depth with them.

Am I going about this the right way?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehmet View Post
    I'd like to know what kind of "technologies" are being used in schools so I can set myself some goals in terms of studying over the next year.

Networking - I have my CCNA and I'm almost finished with CCNP (one exam left), so in terms of networking I'm ok. I should familiarise myself with the HP CLI, though.

Windows Server - I need to learn Windows Server, I think MCITP:SA would be a good start... perhaps I'll start studying for it in the summer -- as long as I complete it before I finish my degree that's fine.

I think having good knowledge of networking and Windows Server should put me in a good position once I finish my degree. Other technologies such as virtualisation, SANs, backup systems etc shouldn't be too difficult to pick up on, I doubt I'd have to go into much depth with them.

Am I going about this the right way?

Almost - HP CLI is a good one to learn and varies slightly when compared to the Cisco one. Lots of schools use HP kit but Juniper kit is breaking through.

With regards to
    Other technologies such as virtualisation, SANs, backup systems etc shouldn't be too difficult to pick up on, I doubt I'd have to go into much depth with them.
    This is the Key - Virtualisation is the future and one thing schools are going to start doing more and more where possible and budgets allow. Its also a vary complex area and it can be quite difficult to pick up on but once running is fine. Backup systems are crucial also lots of different software out there but without good backups you are destined to fail at somepoint IMHO.

Toby

3. Thanks to glennda from:

Mehmet (28th April 2012)

Thank Post
    Hi

Completely agree with Glenda as regards Virtualisation and looking at this so would definately look at the different solutions VMware. XEN and HyperV. Would also tend to look at VLE and various solutions and understanding of this. As well as various remote access solutions as these are becoming more prevalent in schools from access to Files to access to everything Terminal Server, RDP Gateway etc.

5. Thanks to Steven_Cleaver from:

Mehmet (28th April 2012)

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    Agree with Glenda also on the Virtualization issue, definitely worth looking at the different solutions and getting some hands on if possible. I think there are free versions of all of the main contenders (Citrix, VMWare and Hyper-V). I set up 4 hosts at last school with a vCenter (also available as a free trial). I have done 2 where I am at the moment and I think you will find a lot more educational organisations going down this route. You will prob find a lot of people on here using virtualisation.

I also started with a CCNA, then got a MCP in server 2003 with a few other courses. I think both a networking course and a server course is a good starting point :-D

7. Thanks to Davit2005 from:

Mehmet (28th April 2012)

Thank Post
    I'm volunteering at an Academy which will be updating its school infrastructure (new switches, SANs, virtualisation etc), problem is that all the work is being done by external companies so I'm not going to be able to learn anything. I wonder if I could get some work experience at the companies that design and implement these solutions? Anyone know of such companies around North London which might be worth contacting?

Also, has anyone used these companies to build an IT solution (network infrastructure, server, storage, virtualisation, backup etc) from scratch and have been provided with a proposal document? If so, would be great if I could take a look at such a document to see some more of the specifics.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread