+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Pay Rise in General; Over the past few months, I have seen a few ICT Technician jobs locally in north wales advertised, ALL of ...
    Thank Post

Pay Rise

Over the past few months, I have seen a few ICT Technician jobs locally in north wales advertised, ALL of which have started at 16k+, some even on 18-20k.

I'm on 13,500k, and I cant understand why, because the job descriptions for these posts i've seen advertised are fundamentally the same as mine, similar school size, similar roles, some are even as a group of technicians, i am a single technician.

Would the best way of going about asking for a pay rise be to sign up to a Union first and deal with it via them, or go to my managers directly and say "look, compared with the rest of the local area,im being underpaid".

The high end of my pay scale is only £15,500, which i think is silly, given that some are on £20,000 at the high end of their scale.

Thank Post

Re: Pay Rise

just say that you are applying for another job with better pay and future prospects, unless they can match what other companies/schools are offering

Thank Post

The best way to get a pay rise would be to apply for and get one of the other better paid jobs.

Thank Post

Go in wearing a smart suit and tie, this is usually enough to get most people thinking you have an interview, you may well be called in to discuss why.

Thank Post

Where I am now I'm comfortable and I'm happy, and its a leisurly 10 minute drive from my home town.

The problem is, this is my first job, Im 19, and I've only been here 5 months, most places ask for "atleast 2 years experience", which is a pain.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries

Myself and the other tech here recently managed to procure a 4.5k raise.

We booked a meeting with the head and the bursar, and went through all our responsibilities, what we'd improved, how much we'd changed, etc (you've got to realise most people have no idea what we do all day....)

We then pointed out BECTA guidelines, and showed that in industry doing a similar job we'd be on three times as much.

The other thing to point out is that we're in a much harder position than if we were working in a business enviroment - we're in the only field where our clients are actively trying to destroy our network, hardware, security, etc.

Thank Post

This is what I mean, my days are a huge task in terms of the uphill battle against the constant problems students(mainly) produce, along-side the day to day maintenence and booked periods of my time that all have to be juggled.

ASWELL as the large amounts of VBA programming I do for staff to make their lives easier if they need a certain excel document to behaive in a certain way or Access or the likes.

And at the end of the month, I'm still only taking home a little bit more than my friends who work full time in Tesco's down the road. They stack shelves all day and price things and cart big trolleys of groceries around.

It bugs me, theres only been two technicians here before me over the past 4 years, before them there was no technician. I dont honestly think (as Domino mentioned), that most of the staff or my managers even know or respect just how much I do, and its quite disheartening seeing others do exactly the same and getting a lot more for it.

Even when I'm not busy, the fact I'm waiting in my office ready to offer my expertise and knowlege warrants something.

I'm not yet a member of Unison or the likes, but my understanding is they will back you up in a case for a payrise, maybe its worth looking in to.

Thank Post

I'd say you're 19, 13,500k is plenty!

I'm on slightly more, age 25 with mortgage and no life cos of no money!

I'm doing the NMs job who's been suspended 3 years, I've just started saying 'not my job' cos I'm sick of them saying they can't pay me more because they have to pay him.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I've been in this job for 4 years (since I was 16 and started on £8,894!), have gained NVQ IT 2 and 3, currently on CCNA Sem2 and am on Scale 2 Point 13 - £12,567 term-time. Think yourself lucky!

Thank Post

I've actually considered teaching instead of doing the Tech thing, not because I particularly want to teach (I don't mind going for the teacher role, but I'd rather be a tech) but mainly because they actually take teacher pay seriously.

I believe that this is because they have a strong union behind them that are quite happy to give the powers that be some heavy pressure over pay. Standards are STRONG in teaching. A newly qualified teacher is guaranteed at least 20k off the bat, in administrative staff you pretty much get whatever you're given. I've never really viewed Unison as a particularly strong union (on their last strike attempt they backed down, or so I heard.... any truth in that?). They have an equal pay campaign going on but I don't think it really covers fair pay (or do I have the wrong end of the stick?).

What most ICT Techs/NM's get paid for in relation to what they actually do is an utter joke. As previously mentioned, one may as well be stacking shelves or flipping burgers. And comparison with other industries and indeed teaching staff is a sure indication that the powers that be really are trying to extort as much as they can out of their workforce.

I don't think this applies just to us bods in IT too, check out some of the other administrative roles in the school, some work incredibly hard also, whereas others have time to surf around ebay and shop on amazon most of the day.

The pay is really not fair in relation to the workload for admin staff, at least in teaching the pay is taken seriously.

At the end of the day, I can't do the tech thing for all of my life, I'm going to have to make a move sometime. Simple maths tells us that low pay + Rising House Costs and Taxation = No chance of getting a house until one is about 70 years old...

If I want a place of my own I have to move on, and I'd imagine that a lot of other people in the same situation as people on this sort of pay scale are considering it too.

I have a BSc in computing and I may as well be flipping burgers mmm nice. </rant>

Thank Post

Right so you are comfortable, do you want a payrise or a comfortable job within 10 minutes of home. You need to ask yourself this basic question first.

If your school is like my old one you will ask for a rise until the cows come home but if you can't show that your job role has changed substantially to that from which you were employed you will not get one or if you do it will be negligible.

I was employed as a techie some years ago at a school on less than that. I was then promoted in house to Network Manager and they paid me 18-20k which in some schools might not be too bad. For me it wasn't enough and after a year of being in that role i realised I could do better. I too was only a short journey from home (ie 5 minutes). It takes a little bit of courage and common sense to realise that if you want more you may have to travel. I found a position in another school where the job was virtually the same a few more students and machines but who cares everything is 'virtual'. I am now on 28-32k. Ok I now have a bigger mortgage and travel about 20 minutes longer and have to much month left at the end of the money but I got what I wanted.

If you want more get off your butt and find it, its out there!!

Thank Post

HI

I have just got in the post this morning a form from the union asking for details about my jobs and the pay and conditions.They are starting to gather evidence in Lancashire with regards to equal pay. I believe the local council is meant to have review all staff under equal pay and regraded people accordingly. It might be worth you talking to your union rep.

Richard

Thank Post

Just thought also, you've been in the job 5 months, bit soon to be pushing for a rise.

Thank Post

@ mrforgetful - No amount is ever enough Did your mother never tell you "There's more to life than money..."

@ webman - ouch!

Thank Post

@ gwendes - Aye this I have been told and I agree. But there's also a line between been paid for what you do and paid for what you were employed to do 4 years ago!

Plus, when I'm overdrawn with two weeks before been paid, still bills to go out and my tumble dryer broken, it's harder to swallow.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information