+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Pay Rise in General; County Council "job evaluation" is supposed to sort out equal oay for equal job roles throughout the schools. But most ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Pay Rise

County Council "job evaluation" is supposed to sort out equal oay for equal job roles throughout the schools. But most of us will end up losing money due to the way they calculate what people should be paid. Indeed, I remember a post on here a while ago saying one Staffordshire NM had lost £7k.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mrforgetful
    But there's also a line between been paid for what you do and paid for what you were employed to do 4 years ago!
    What I was doing ONE year ago and what I do now are somewhat different things...

As for councils doing pay reviews, I'm pretty sure that they'dd work to round numbers down than up if they can at all help it

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Ask for a re-grading and your post will have to be compared to comparable jobs in the local area - that's how it works!

In Wales we don't have the latest Job Eval things going on as in England, but we do have Job Evaluation going on, and you should be going through that very process now. Check with your local Unison rep!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    I've been in this job for 4 years (since I was 16 and started on £8,894!), have gained NVQ IT 2 and 3, currently on CCNA Sem2 and am on Scale 2 Point 13 - £12,567 term-time. Think yourself lucky!
    So are you really happy with the place your in now? Your easily in a position to start chopping in jobs after 1 year now you have several years experience. If you want to get more cash you generally have to move schools.

Andrew

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Work is 10mins walk from home at the moment and I do like it.

If I got anther job it would have to be within walking distance (small market town not very likely), or the pay would have to be substantial enough for me to "break even" - I'd need to get a car and be able to maintain it on the new wage without losing money.

Thank Post

@Samson - if you've only been there 5 months, I think it's a bit early to raise this issue. I'm assuming that you knew the salary (and relative other salaries) at the time you took the job, so I'm not sure you've much of a leg to stand on, unfortunately. Raise it in a few years when your network is twice the size, your job description three times longer and your pay is still the same! That said, there's no harm in applying for these other jobs and letting it be known that your moves are financially motivated; I think the union lawyers is going too far at this point though.

Also, depending on how your SMT operates, bringing in the big guns might not be the way to do it. I know that, at this school, sitting down with the Bursar / writing to the Governors would get a much more positive response than wheeling in the union lawyers.

All that said, I would go and join a union. Immediately. All it takes is one kid to make a stupid and unfounded accusation against you, and you could find yourself out of a job. I wouldn't be able to afford the legal representation in that situation, but I can afford £10 per month union membership.

Also, remember that some unions won't offer any assistance until you've been a member for a few months, so it might be worth getting it now so that their resources are ready for you should you need them.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Friez

At the end of the day, I can't do the tech thing for all of my life, I'm going to have to make a move sometime. Simple maths tells us that low pay + Rising House Costs and Taxation = No chance of getting a house until one is about 70 years old...

If I want a place of my own I have to move on, and I'd imagine that a lot of other people in the same situation as people on this sort of pay scale are considering it too.
    Wait until the crash mate. Don't be fooled by the "Houseprices only ever go up" line. They are already unaffordable for folk earning higher salaries than us. Rent for a few more years.

M4 Money supply is a joke
    Inflation is far higher than the government admits
    Chavs are still spending on plastic
    I could go on....

All points to a recession, so the last thing you want is a grotty house that you thought you had to buy otherwise you'd miss the mythical "ladder", and are paying most of your take home pay on.

Viva la revolution.

Gone off on one there, sorry.

Thank Post

To be honest I think £13,000/£14,000 is ok at 19, that's what I got paid as a techie at that age (but I had 2 years previous experience being employed as a 6th form techie whilst doing my a-levels).

Moved up to £18,000 as a network manager, and then got sims manager as an addon and am now on about £26,000. No degree as of yet though, half way though Computer Science one with the OU.

Jo

Thank Post

When I was 19 I got paid two groats a year and a parson's nose at Christmas, but only if it was a leap year!

...... but then again, I'm really old!

Thank Post

Oooh a parsons nose ! 'ow I longed fer a parsons nose. I used t'ave work down t'mines AND pay them 2 ha'penny for the privilege and when I got 'ome, me dad would beat me black and blue with a broom handle

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,236 Times in 784 Posts
    Blog Entries

a broom handle?!

You 'ad it lucky. I were beaten wiv a Vax

Thank Post

Luxuary I tell you: it was up at dawn, beaten with a Patch lead until i was bledding and then carrying a sever for twenty hours

in rain

with no shoes

Thank Post

Samson - I think you've landed on your feet as it is now, dont be pushing it so early. Your in (persumably) the only tech job within walking distance, on a rather good wage for your age and an alright wage for your position and (lack) of qualifications.
    Dont compare yourself to your mates as you *will* be earning £40k+ quite easily if you want to. They will *never* earn £40k+ in a career in shelf stacking! Even if they worked their way up the ladder to management over many years they'd be lucky to reach £40k. While if you try hard enough (and obviously be compitent) you can start looking towards 6 figure wage

Im 23, been in my job 2 years + 6months as a £40/w apprentise (being 20 and going from a full time wage down to £40 is not fun ill tell you!), and im earning £14.5k pa now. I cant afford a house, and would struggle even if i went in with mate(s). Getting a half decent job would mean moving or travelling 1-1.5h+ each way, offsetting the pay rise quite alot.

Honestly mate your doing alright for yourself, stick to it. IME your going to get alot more experiance and training then any business could provide.

Thank Post

I think that after 6 months in the job, it is reasonable to compare the job that you do with the contract that you were taken on to do. If they differ then a reassessment is required. It is all good saying that asking for a pay rise after 6 months is a bit soon, but if you do more than the original contract states then you have every right. In a lot of schools jobs are advertised as ICT Technicians but you start doing the Network Managers role. It is just a cheap way of getting someone to do the job.

Be aware though, if you are pushing for more money, you need to justify it. Maybe a year would be a more appropriate timescale to show what changes you have implemented and how this is over and above your existing contract. Schools tend to work to the same timescales, so showing the difference you have made since this time last year would benefit you. Eg this years GCSE coursework ran smoother due to the upgrades you made to the network.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky
    Samson - I think you've landed on your feet as it is now, dont be pushing it so early. Your in (persumably) the only tech job within walking distance, on a rather good wage for your age and an alright wage for your position and (lack) of qualifications.
    Dont compare yourself to your mates as you *will* be earning £40k+ quite easily if you want to. They will *never* earn £40k+ in a career in shelf stacking! Even if they worked their way up the ladder to management over many years they'd be lucky to reach £40k. While if you try hard enough (and obviously be compitent) you can start looking towards 6 figure wage

Im 23, been in my job 2 years + 6months as a £40/w apprentise (being 20 and going from a full time wage down to £40 is not fun ill tell you!), and im earning £14.5k pa now. I cant afford a house, and would struggle even if i went in with mate(s). Getting a half decent job would mean moving or travelling 1-1.5h+ each way, offsetting the pay rise quite alot.

Honestly mate your doing alright for yourself, stick to it. IME your going to get alot more experiance and training then any business could provide.
    His friends may never earn 40K a year stacking shelves but the OP won't earn 40k doing IT in a school either. In the same way the OP can improve his skills and progress onto bigger money (if he moves into the private sector) so can the shelf stackers after being promoted to store manager, and then moving into a different managerial position with another company paying more money.

To talk about 6 figure sums is ridiculous.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information