+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Claiming tax relief on Union/Professional body fees. in General; One of our teachers just came into the staff room with some forms from a company that will check if ...

Thank Post

Claiming tax relief on Union/Professional body fees.

One of our teachers just came into the staff room with some forms from a company that will check if you are eligible for tax relief. They charge £40 for the service. All of our teachers were unaware that they could claim, so I thought I'd mention it here.

There's no need to pay anyone to do it. Just contact your Union or Pro. body and ask if the fees are eligible and can you have proof of what you pay to them. There's a form you can get from the HMRC website that you send in and they'll adjust your tax code. You may even get a rebate.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,438 Times in 988 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We've also had emails from a company purporting to do the same thing, and anyone who signed up shortly after had their email account hacked. Which is mostly a lesson on password re-use, but also another warning about such companies.

Thank Post
    Unison were promoting a company that were offering free tax code reviews for members some time ago.

Thank Post
    I took advantage of one of these from UNISON last year. I'm not sure what they did but they completely buggered up my tax which is still not sorted.

Thank Post
    Doesn't the tax rebate company that UNISON advertise not take 20% of any tax rebate they collect on your behalf? I am sure it used too, I carried out the excercise myself around 7 or 8 years ago due to a basic rate tax code I was issued, and managed to get around £1,000.00 returned. This would have cost me around £200 if I had used the company UNISON advertised for the sake of a couple of phone calls and letters.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,169 Times in 1,604 Posts
    I doubt union fees are tax deductible as you don't have to join a union.

OH has to be a member of ICAEW to be an accountant and that is tax deductible.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    Doesn't the tax rebate company that UNISON advertise not take 20% of any tax rebate they collect on your behalf? I am sure it used too, I carried out the excercise myself around 7 or 8 years ago due to a basic rate tax code I was issued, and managed to get around £1,000.00 returned. This would have cost me around £200 if I had used the company UNISON advertised for the sake of a couple of phone calls and letters.
    That doesn't surprise me. UNISON get a kickback for such a 'service' to its members IIRC.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Shame the GMB isn't covered, I could get a lovely rebate if it was!

Thank Post
    I dont think the service will just cover union fees. There was a news story a couple of months ago saying that 60% of people are on the wrong tax code. There are loads of things you can claim for and we all have different circumstances.

Contact your revenue office and ask them to send you a self assessment form. Its not that difficult to fill in but then again I ran my own business for ten years and I am au fait with what they want.

They will look it over and advise, and you arent obliged to fill it in unless they have requested that you do so.

In the ten years I was self employed I spent a fortune with my accountant but always got at least double back.

Phil

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread