+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, F1 Bahrain GP in General; How does everyone else feel about this going ahead? I think they've made a massive mistake going there and I ...

Thank Post

F1 Bahrain GP

How does everyone else feel about this going ahead? I think they've made a massive mistake going there and I certainly won't be watching it.

Thank Post
    I won't watch it because it's not on free to view but I probably wouldn't even if it was on BBC. I guess the millions they will lose if they cancel has something to do with it. If they were to send out a strong message that they won't go back next year, that might have more effect. There are plenty of other venues.

Thank Post
    F1 continues to strengthen their central message - "all we care about is the money".

Thank Post
    I think it might be scrapped for newer circuits that are planned for next year. They dont need all this uncertainty .

Thank Post
    Personally, anyone that watches / partakes in the race will have lost all moral and ethical credibility with me.

One country starts killing its citizens, we link up and help defeat Gaddafi.

Another country, we invite the leader to tea with the Queen and give them this spectacle.

I can't take the hypocrisy much longer.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 802 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Bahrain is going to be a difficult one because so much of F1 is finances from therein - there's a chunky stake in McLaren owned there for instance. It's always going to be about money but some things you just have to ignore.
    I do think it's a mistake that it's gotten this far but I don't believe anyone there is in any real danger. Amnesty International are the Daily Mail of charity groups and would have the British Grand Prix stopped if they saw 3 hooded youths hanging around outside the village store in Silverstone as a result anything they say must be taken with a pinch of salt.
    All teams are there with no incidents except the wrong time wrong place thing with a few Force India guys and hope that's the way it stays. Would be nice if money wasn't such a deciding factor so they can take the grand prix somewhere else. I typed "somewhere more deserving" however that's rather judgmental, I do firmly believe that sport can bring people together and help such problems, but it's always such a roll of the dice when what's at stake are lives.

Thank Post
    Reminds me of this from last year Starting Grid For The Bahrain GP

Its always going to be about money as it costs so much to compete.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Amnesty International are the Daily Mail of charity groups and would have the British Grand Prix stopped if they saw 3 hooded youths hanging around outside the village store in Silverstone as a result anything they say must be taken with a pinch of salt.
    And your evidence to back up that incredible statement is ...?

9. Thanks to pcstru from:

Netman (20th April 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Erm, I can't really provide any - just like you can't provide evidence that the Daily Mail is a bile spewing snotrag other than what you see for yourself. It's just common knowledge; these are the same people that have tried sanctions against China, Thaiwan and a few other countries regarding human rights. They're just a *little* bit over the top with it, we all respect what we should have as far as human beings are concerned, and AI are somewhat over and above that.
    It's not sensationalist or incredible, it's just an opinion shared by a fair few!

11. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

Gibbo (20th April 2012)

Thank Post
    I have a friend there working for the Red Bull team (Her dad is something high up in it), doing the timings...fingers crossed it goes off without problems..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MattHarwood View Post
    Personally, anyone that watches / partakes in the race will have lost all moral and ethical credibility with me.

One country starts killing its citizens, we link up and help defeat Gaddafi.

Another country, we invite the leader to tea with the Queen and give them this spectacle.

I can't take the hypocrisy much longer.
    What a load of rubbish, I for one will be watching it if it goes ahead, it's not my fault their country is stuck in hundreds of years of petty factional bickering. Even if the GP or any other sport was removed from their it won't stop their problems, if the Shiite faction ruled then the sunni would be uprising, it's the same across the Middle East.

Besides it's not as if the human rights abuses are on par with say Libya and Syria.

Anyway, enough for me

14. Thanks to Disease from:

Gibbo (20th April 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    As said, perhaps the F1 could start to help bridge those gaps and actually do some good. It's a very naive view I know, but it's still probably cheaper to run an F1 weekend there then it is to get peace treaties sorted, armies deployed etc.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MattHarwood View Post
    So lets take the moral high ground compared to countries that are run by dictators, couldnt care less about poor people even suffering of their own people?

I am watching it, I am an F1 fan and if that makes me evil well. If you want to take the moral high ground suggest you dont watch F1 in any country minus EU races.

A good example would be China - we all know how bad this country is run compared to other nations.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Erm, I can't really provide any - just like you can't provide evidence that the Daily Mail is a bile spewing snotrag other than what you see for yourself. It's just common knowledge; these are the same people that have tried sanctions against China, Thaiwan and a few other countries regarding human rights.
    You what? Amnesty has tried sanctions against China? That's hilarious. Sanctions are the preserve of countries and economic trading blocks, not charitable organisations like Amnesty International. They might recomend and support sanctions but they are hardly capable themselves of implementing any.

As for evidence that the Daily Mail indulges in sensationalism, lies and even stoops to theft, there is plenty of evidence that the Mail regularly makes out of court settlements to avoid the limelight when it is caught. Infact so well known is the Mail for inaccurate and sensationalist reporting that there is at least one website dedicated to monitoring it. I guess though that that's not evidence that you will give any credence to.

Amnesty tend to deal with standards of evidence which will satisfy local and international courts. They don't always get it right but comparing them to the Daily Mail is rhetoric that indicates gross ignorance. Still, your choice.

They're just a *little* bit over the top with it, we all respect what we should have as far as human beings are concerned, and AI are somewhat over and above that. It's not sensationalist or incredible, it's just an opinion shared by a fair few!
    It is quite obvious that 'we' do not all respect what we should have as far as human beings are concerned. That's what makes the likes of AI necessary and generally a force for good. To compare them with the Daily Mail is frankly sickening.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Never mind, if you don't agree, then I'm sure you can enjoy the race otherwise

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast