+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
General Chat Thread, F1 Bahrain GP in General; Originally Posted by synaesthesia The F1 had absolutely bugger all to do with it. It was just an event that ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    The F1 had absolutely bugger all to do with it. It was just an event that happened to be going ahead at the time of unrest. Noone is saying there isn't a problem, noone is saying things should be ignored. My only issue is the way the F1 was used to highlight it as if it was F1's fault. It's not. It didn't make it any worse, it could possibly help (although that's naive, it probably hasn't).

"Go back to sleep, watch the shiny shinys making loud noises and ignore what's happening in the world."

Grow the F up.
    So back to my point, if this was happening on your front door and it was your family and your government would you still be saying oh yes come and have a race, nevermind what's going on, come and enjoy yourself, we know there are our problems, nothing to do with F1, don't mind that red stuff on the track.
    Last edited by Pyroman; 23rd April 2012 at 10:22 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,109 Times in 1,449 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And now it appears Anonymous are in on the act, ddosing the formula1.com site as well as other services for "human rights" reasons. These people are just as bad, and I thought as a whole they were a bit more intelligent. Unfortunately not, this attack is for revenge reasons more than anything based on something that happened over there.

Attachment 13724

Le EDIT: Have some XKCD alt text too.

"It was their main recruiting poster, hung nearly ten feet up a wall! This means the hackers have LADDER technology! Are we headed for a future where everyone has to pay $50 for one of those locked plexiglass poster covers? More after the break ..."
    Last edited by X-13; 23rd April 2012 at 10:26 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Attachment 13724

Le EDIT: Have some XKCD alt text too.

"It was their main recruiting poster, hung nearly ten feet up a wall! This means the hackers have LADDER technology! Are we headed for a future where everyone has to pay $50 for one of those locked plexiglass poster covers? More after the break ..."
    Quality, although I have completely stopped support for Anonymous, I dont believe in anyone being judge jury and executioner who everyone has to believe their way or you get your website hacked in to..

@Pryoman
    Totally agree with you but, would you feel the same if what occurs in China/India/Brazil (long time F1 track) and others even possible Mexico occurs on our door step too? Would you be happy to take a blind eye to drug lords on your street, Child labour, No rights for the poor, no one allowed to protest, torture, Propaganda, Website controls (which US tried to have put in place and some nations in F1 do currently).

If they do stop every track that goes to a country with serious Human rights issues, wouldnt the only ones left be EU/US?

The Olympics even went to China who lets face it still dont have a good track record, should that of gone there?

Some times maybe its a good thing for F1 to go to places like Bahrain as a result of F1 going there it was in the news non stop and opened peoples eyes to the real situations? If F1 wasnt going there in the first place it could of been simply forgotten?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mthomas08 View Post
    Quality, although I have completely stopped support for Anonymous, I dont believe in anyone being judge jury and executioner who everyone has to believe their way or you get your website hacked in to..

I lost faith in them once it became apparent they were stealing credit card information.

It's not being done for protest, it's being done for greed.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mthomas08 View Post

@Pryoman
    Totally agree with you but, would you feel the same if what occurs in China/India/Brazil (long time F1 track) and others even possible Mexico occurs on our door step too? Would you be happy to take a blind eye to drug lords on your street, Child labour, No rights for the poor, no one allowed to protest, torture, Propaganda, Website controls (which US tried to have put in place and some nations in F1 do currently).

If they do stop every track that goes to a country with serious Human rights issues, wouldnt the only ones left be EU/US?

The Olympics even went to China who lets face it still dont have a good track record, should that of gone there?

Some times maybe its a good thing for F1 to go to places like Bahrain as a result of F1 going there it was in the news non stop and opened peoples eyes to the real situations? If F1 wasnt going there in the first place it could of been simply forgotten?
    The US having human rights for a start is a joke, look at their prison system and their homelessness and the aftermath for katrina for starters. And no i wouldn't be happy turning a blind eye to anything like that and i don't think i gave the impression that i would.

What you do about india/brazil/anywhere else i don't know, somehow you have to change the entire world to think about someone other than themselves but when you have big corporations running the world who really don't care then how do you get people motivated? This is all part of a much much larger picture though which would become a thesis if i continued, basically there is no class system as we like to see it, there's the rulers (who are not David and co. it's business), the workers and the underclass.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyroman View Post
    The US having human rights for a start is a joke, look at their prison system and their homelessness and the aftermath for katrina for starters. And no i wouldn't be happy turning a blind eye to anything like that and i don't think i gave the impression that i would.

What you do about india/brazil/anywhere else i don't know, somehow you have to change the entire world to think about someone other than themselves but when you have big corporations running the world who really don't care then how do you get people motivated? This is all part of a much much larger picture though which would become a thesis if i continued, basically there is no class system as we like to see it, there's the rulers (who are not David and co. it's business), the workers and the underclass.

Viva la revolution.

7. Thanks to X-13 from:

Pyroman (23rd April 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,089 Times in 837 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Simple request is simple. Please leave this sort of argument out of F1 until Bernie Ecclestone is using slave labour in Thailand to manicure the feet of the millionaire racing drivers whilst they flog their manservants with carbon fibre whips, driving around a circuit made by 100,000 prisoners laying next to eachother.

Supporting F1 does not mean a person is denying human rights.
    Please keep the arguments FULLY AND ENTIRELY SEPARATE UNLESS THERE IS GOOD REASON FOR THEM TO BE LINKED.

PS: I will apologise for my previous comment, I'm in a fair amount of pain and therefore being *extremely* blunt.
    Last edited by synaesthesia; 23rd April 2012 at 11:12 AM.

Thank Post
    Simple request is simple. Please leave this sort of argument out of F1 until Bernie Ecclestone is using slave labour in Thailand to manicure the feet of the millionaire racing drivers whilst they flog their manservants with carbon fibre whips, driving around a circuit made by 100,000 prisoners laying next to eachother.

Supporting F1 does not mean a person is denying human rights.
    Please keep the arguments FULLY AND ENTIRELY SEPARATE UNLESS THERE IS GOOD REASON FOR THEM TO BE LINKED.

PS: I will apologise for my previous comment, I'm in a fair amount of pain and therefore being *extremely* blunt.
    This is the problem though, they are linked. If people demanded more from their leaders/sports personalities/bosses then we'd live in a far nicer world. I actually feel that by trying to get F1 to set higher standards for itself that you ARE actually supporting it better than if you just said it doesn't matter where they race and what the conditions are. That way you get top class sport and you help the people of the world.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,089 Times in 837 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That I agree with. As i've already said, sport can act as an ambassador for this sort of problem, but also by doing that it also involves itself more, and could cause more problems. Catch 22 really.

But as was said, there are "human rights" problems all over the world. F1's commitment at the moment to making the world better is pretty much (supposedly) down to engine efficiency, carbon footprints, environment as a whole, although some people argue that is also wrong to be involved with (i.e. F1 should be about being the best of the best, in the best technology possible). I love the tech, but also as a means to achieve these environmental goals.

Thank Post
    That I agree with. As i've already said, sport can act as an ambassador for this sort of problem, but also by doing that it also involves itself more, and could cause more problems. Catch 22 really.

But as was said, there are "human rights" problems all over the world. F1's commitment at the moment to making the world better is pretty much (supposedly) down to engine efficiency, carbon footprints, environment as a whole, although some people argue that is also wrong to be involved with (i.e. F1 should be about being the best of the best, in the best technology possible). I love the tech, but also as a means to achieve these environmental goals.
    F1s commitment is to make a shedload of money. The best thing they could do is to stand up as a body and say "No, until you sort yourselves out we're not racing in your country." And then environmental impact of F1 cars is negligible compared to the pollution put out by the aircraft/lorries/private cars used to get everything between circuits, but it makes a nice soundbite to say we're making F1 cars cleaner to run.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234