+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, How long has your school had its network? in General; Old school Used to while away many an hour making games and stuff in STOS on my Dads Atari ST ...
    Thank Post

Re: How long has your school had its network?

Old school

Used to while away many an hour making games and stuff in STOS on my Dads Atari ST

Andrew

Thank Post

We had networked BBC computers here, using (I think) a 5pin DIN socket!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Econet had some amazing features for the time.

*remote <station number> gave full remote control of the other machine - like VNC etc but 20 years earlier!

Built into the firmware was a whole set of stuff to let you do things across the network - forgotten most of it now but I suspect I've still got the "advanced programming guide" somewhere with all the calls in it.

The most amazing thing about the original file server software was that it was all written in BASIC so you could see how it worked and get tips for how to cram everything into the tiny RAM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by gwendes
    I can't let that one slide! Nothing you could do???

My dad bought an A3000 in about 1990 (I was 6) and installed a 2MB RAM upgrade! I could write floppy discs to RAM then back to floppy... it rocked!
    My secondary school, a little behind the times, had a suite of Acorns and I was very 'familiar' with them by that point.

If you think they can't do anything you obviously never played games (Lemmings, Mad Professor, Chuck Rock, Pac-Mania, Lotus Turbo Challenge, Repton etc), programmed in BASIC (F12) or used Talking Pendown!
    haha...missed this

Dont get me wrong, I love Acorns, I just meant at school there was no applications, nothin apart from word processing!
    Generally though they were cool machines

I do remember other students who obv had them at home used to bring in games or could run cool little programs but as I only had a BBC Micro at home (yes in the mid 90's - my parents wouldnt buy me anything else!) I couldnt really join in

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder
    haha...missed this

Dont get me wrong, I love Acorns, I just meant at school there was no applications, nothin apart from word processing!
    Generally though they were cool machines

I do remember other students who obv had them at home used to bring in games or could run cool little programs but as I only had a BBC Micro at home (yes in the mid 90's - my parents wouldnt buy me anything else!) I couldnt really join in
    LOL.. We used to play games all the time - I had friends I used to exchange 'backups' with by post and write little programs for it (And the BBC Micro) Excellent machines...

I've had enough of XP/Server2003 - anyone else want to run a school on RISC machines? We'll call it a project school, get funding... *decends into dream state*

Thank Post
    Think my current place has had the network since 2001 \ 2002 judging by the really old server kit we cleared out a few years back... think the machines were PIIIs at the time.

My school had the network in some form just after I started there in 1997, although in the early days Encarta CD swapping on Win3.1 machines was the norm... then followed up by a network set up by some consultants (I remember the custom login screen!) then it went onto NT \ Win95. I remember feeling quite proud of myself in year 10 after helping the NM set up some new rooms... knew what job I'd be doing right away

As for retro networks... I remember BBC Econet networks at a youth club when I was a kid. Set in the back of an art cupboard you had to do a weird key combo to read the disk from the server and then Frogger time

For an even more retro network I have at home, in original box a ZX Spectrum Interface 1 network \ printer expansion port circa 1982 Also includes 100K mass storage Microdrives... quality stuff!

As for Acorns... I love the old RISC PC and A3000 machines, grew up with em at primary school and tried to buy a 2nd hand one instead of a PC at the time but ended up getting my trusty P166 from Comet instead. Pendown and the Smile games were great time wasters... Taxi anyone? Got a RISC PC at home amongst the retro kit collection I've ended up accumulating over time
    Last edited by gshaw; 11th September 2009 at 05:03 PM.

Thank Post
    I believe the first "network" was in the early 1990s when one of the maths teachers set a few machines down the side of a maths classroom.

In 1998 the first two proper ICT rooms were put in (but for 4 years, 'computer studies' had been taught with said few machines!). 2002 another room opened, 2003 upgraded to CC3.

Oh, and we had an admin network from 1993ish which was provided by the County Council. Several of the office staff still shudder when it's mentioned. In 2005 it was removed and normal network machines put in. Although, the contents of the old server's HDD were dumped onto the office staff shared area, and there it remains. So, if ever we need to find a letter to a parent about not having the right shoes dated 1994...
    Last edited by grumpy_git; 11th September 2009 at 05:32 PM.

Thank Post
    The earliest archeological evidence consists of:

BBC micros
    BNC jacks in reception
    A Deputy Head who twitches when you mention Netware.
    Said netware "server" (dual cpus with less than <100mhz each).
    SIMS user-created files from 1994.

Thank Post
    I have no idea how long we've had a network - before the time I started as a junior tech.

Probably around 1996 - from what was left when I started, it was all 10BaseT old BNC stuff.
    Server being NT 3.51 - rebooted (and rebuilt) almost weekly from what my old boss used to tell me.

I started employment in 2001 and have been there ever since.

Now there's no trace of BNC, NT 3.51 and it's truely come on in leaps and bounds in the last 6 years.
    In 2003 I was given the dubious task of planning it's current form, doing all the AD provisioning and such and that was the first time I'd ever HEARD of Active Directory. (I'd heard of LDAP tho)

Now it's working well - or as well as any school network can work given the user population.

Our next big 'jump' is to go Server 2008 R2 sometime and then Windows 7 sometime after.
    Many older members of staff still remember the mess it was waaay back... do they say it's better now? Nope... to do that would defeat the purpose

Az

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123