+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Question about resume/CV in General; Got into an interesting debate with my brothers last night, we are all Dan Grade martial artists in various fields ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries

Question about resume/CV

Got into an interesting debate with my brothers last night, we are all Dan Grade martial artists in various fields (all of us studied 2 different MA's as we were growing up, as my dad thought it best to learn 2 and combine the skills from both).

On my CV, I do not list the fact that I am a dan grade/national champion/international champion/bronze,silver,gold medalist umpteen times over, yet one of my brothers has it on his CV that he has a 5th Dan in Shotokan Karate and 3rd Dan in Judo, national Judo champion, blah blah blah.

My question is, would there be much relevance for it to go down on a CV?

Thank Post
    Personally, I think it depends how many other items you have. If (for example) you have no other hobbies/"reallife" stuff, listing multiple ones is fair enough.

If however you have 9999999 hobbies, I wouldn't write 200 pages etc

Personally if I'm writing something of multiple versions, list the best one/two, and write something along "and qualified in many other competitions" etc/

Steve

3. Thanks to Steve21 from:

featured_spectre (14th April 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't go overboard and list all of the regional championships (as then it would be massive, as there are 2 regionals per year), but I would just keep it brief and national/international levels...EG

For me for example it would read as follows (if it were to go on a CV)

4th Dan Black Belt Yoshokai Aikido
    4th Dan Black Belt Atemi Waza Ju Jitsu
    Green Belt International Tang Soo Do Federation
    Youth Atemi Waza Ju Jitsu Free Fighting National Champion, Dan Grades, 1998 - 2003
    Adult Atemi Waza Ju Jitsu Free Fighting National Champion, Dan Grades, 2004 - 2011
    Youth Atemi Waza Ju Jitsu Free Fighting International Champion, Dan Grades, 1998, 2002
    Adult Atemi Waza Ju Jitsu Free Fighting International Champion, Dan Grades, 2006, 2010
    Adult International Tang Soo Do Federation Bronze Medallist - Green Belt/Blue Belt level, Forms - 2011
    Adult International Tang Soo Do Federation Bronze Medallist - Mixed ability (Orange Belt - Red Belt), Free Fighting, Superheavy weight category - 2011
    Last edited by featured_spectre; 14th April 2012 at 02:10 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    If the job was for a martial arts instructor sure list them otherwise no point.

Ben

6. Thanks to plexer from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,888 Times in 1,169 Posts
    Blog Entries
    From a conversation with a few noted members of the national squads over the years unless the job being applied for is related to sport then you mention (for each relevant sport / MA) the highest award you presently hold (either as grade or recognition by the national body) and the highest sporting achievement in competition (or if that was more than 3 years ago you may also include the most recent 'high point').

If you cover more than one sport then choose the 2 which are most likely to a) show that you have leadership skills / determination / competitive nature (whichever is most appropriate to demonstrate in relation to the job you are applying for) and b) the areas which you are most likely to require time of work to compete at (remembering that some companies / establishments are supportive of you taking time off for sport and will even pay you, but others may view it unfavourably).

The governing bodies of the relevant sports do also tend to give specific advice on how you can best demonstrate how being part of that sporting family is a good thing. This tends to only be available to people paying subs though (I can no longer access advice from BJA/BJC/BAA).

In your case it would be a case of mentioning you study several arts and have competed, gaining champion status, at national and international level (Junior is always superseded by Adult unless the job is related to working with / inspiring children). The specifics can be raised during interview if needed.

Remember that the competitive hierarchy is usually local / area > regional > national > invitational > international for most sports ... so if you mention international then there is likely to be a presumption that you have had to qualify at national level first ... if nothing else, the media promotion of hopefuls for London2012 has helped get message across.

Also remember that the skills gained in sports / arts are not just limited to competitive success, but also as a teacher / instructor. Many companies / institutes will be more interested in this than your competitive feats and glory.

IIRC Sport England (and local teams from regional / area groups) do run courses about how to make the most of your sporting experience in your professional life, so it might be worth having a chat with the team local to you (details should be available via your local council).

8. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Tony, will get a hold of the local council people Monday afternoon

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,636 Times in 1,825 Posts
    Don't waste the valuable space on your CV listing your sporting achievements. As @GrumbleDook says, there may be some value in noting down training quals but otherwise I wouldnt advise it and whilst I am sure it is possible to make the most of your sporting feats in your professional life, anyone who has had a hand from me in writing a CV will know that there just isnt the room for this sort of thing.
    It is certainly something that could be brought up at interview, if relevant, but otherwise, no.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,888 Times in 1,169 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It is worth saying that if you are a serious athlete / sports person and it is likely to affect your work (needing time off due to competitions or even risk of injury) then it is only fair that you give notice to prospective employees ... but this is not only the case for sports but also for those involved in the Arts (e.g. Irish Dancing), voluntary work (including with religious groups) and things like TA / Special Constables.

This might affect how you portray yourself in your CV. It can be a hard balancing act.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    My question is, would there be much relevance for it to go down on a CV?
    A 4th Dan represents many years of study, practice and experience, probably at least as much as a degree, so it's worth putting down on a CV, at least under "other qualifications". Non martial-artists might need a sentence or two explaining that a 4th Dan implies that you are capable of teaching others, and any first-aid qualifications you've gained along the way would be worth mentioning for most workplaces. Of course, it depends on what job you're applying for - if you're applying to be a bodyguard or bouncer then anything like this is going to be more relevent.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,636 Times in 1,825 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    A 4th Dan represents many years of study, practice and experience, probably at least as much as a degree, so it's worth putting down on a CV, at least under "other qualifications". Non martial-artists might need a sentence or two explaining that a 4th Dan implies that you are capable of teaching others, and any first-aid qualifications you've gained along the way would be worth mentioning for most workplaces. Of course, it depends on what job you're applying for - if you're applying to be a bodyguard or bouncer then anything like this is going to be more relevent.
    ...if there is space...which there won't be if you have got all your employment related skills down correctly. Most people reading a CV won't be interested in this sort of thing anyway and I agree that it may look as if you spend all your time doing hobbies and not working!
    First Aid qualifications are definitely relevant and should be put down on the CV

Thank Post
    Some schools are interested in extra curricular groups after school - if your willing to run a sports activity and you have a keen interest or coaching qualification I think its worth leaving in your CV or certainly mention it at interview.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    I wouldn't go overboard and list all of the regional championships (as then it would be massive, as there are 2 regionals per year), but I would just keep it brief and national/international levels...EG

For me for example it would read as follows (if it were to go on a CV)

4th Dan Black Belt Yoshokai Aikido
    4th Dan Black Belt Atemi Waza Ju Jitsu
    Green Belt International Tang Soo Do Federation
    Youth Atemi Waza Ju Jitsu Free Fighting National Champion, Dan Grades, 1998 - 2003
    Adult Atemi Waza Ju Jitsu Free Fighting National Champion, Dan Grades, 2004 - 2011
    Youth Atemi Waza Ju Jitsu Free Fighting International Champion, Dan Grades, 1998, 2002
    Adult Atemi Waza Ju Jitsu Free Fighting International Champion, Dan Grades, 2006, 2010
    Adult International Tang Soo Do Federation Bronze Medallist - Green Belt/Blue Belt level, Forms - 2011
    Adult International Tang Soo Do Federation Bronze Medallist - Mixed ability (Orange Belt - Red Belt), Free Fighting, Superheavy weight category - 2011
    You obviously have a massive wang!

Thank Post
    I would mention it in passing, not that level. It takes dedication to get that far, it can be a conversation starter and it shows you are a human with a life outside of what you do. I might mention if I'd won things, only if I could use it to justify my teamwork, dedication, focus or something. You never know who's reading your CV and interests can make a difference... for instance rugby players applying in private schools, it could be an additional thing they could offer the school to help with training or to go along to matches - might be the same for that.

If you were going for a door role that might aid your case!

Note to self, do not annoy @nephilim
    Last edited by dwhyte85; 16th April 2012 at 10:45 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not many people manage to annoy me, but those that do tend to get a verbal bashing rather than a physical bashing...I have taught a few basic techniques to other edugeeks (@vikpaw, @EduTech) and as much as I would love to teach a seminar or something to the geeks, I lack the appropriate insurance as it costs a fortune! I can only train and teach at my local clubs.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    If the job was for a martial arts instructor sure list them otherwise no point.

Ben
    This. I've read plenty of resumes, and I care about your knowledge, not your 98 years learning martial arts.

19. Thanks to gpe5732 from:

plexer (16th April 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast