+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Domain name sale. in General; ...

Thank Post

Domain name sale.

I have a domain name which is my name (firstnamesurna.me) and someone has contacted me who has the same name and wants to buy it. Itís quite an unusual surname and I have no idea of what it is worth.

Anybody got any ideas on what I should go in with as a price. Obviously the price is what someone is willing to pay but I have no idea what to quote.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well, how important is the domain name to you? Try gauging a price and see his reaction...

Thank Post
    Just be careful I'd suggest, If you startpassing amounts back and forward guess it "could" be seen as domain squatting. But as mentioned above, if you don't care just pick a price and see if they agree

Steve

Thank Post
    I hate this sort of business, basically people make money off cool domains names. You don't own the name, you just "rent" it. At the end of your term if you don't pay for it, you don't keep it. With all these new domain extensions it's getting really silly. Oh now there's a matt40k.xxx - well got luck to them, I ain't buying it off them, I don't want to waste £80 a year. Same goes for .com, .org, .net .org.uk, .uk.com, .me, .me.uk, .us, .biz and so on.

If your being fair. Ask yourself, do you use it? Do you get emails sent to the domain name? Do you trust them to auto-forward to you? Prob not being honest. If you don't really want it, let me him have it, maybe ask for the registration cost, but defo get them to pay for the domain owner transfer. Maybe a bit of a profit. £25 would be reasonable.

5. Thanks to matt40k from:

SimpleSi (6th April 2012)

Thank Post
    I’ve had the myname.com for twelve years. I had myna.me for two years when it was released, both bought and used as my email address. As I said the name is quite unusual so was not something you would buy with the idea of squatting. I had no intension of selling until this person contacted me.

I went for the interview for my present job six years ago. The two interviewers sat with my CV in front of them and one said you have your own domain name and both nodded to each other. Looks a lot better than nick13221@hotmail.com and the like I’ve seen on a number of CV’s . That’s the worth to me.

Thank Post
    I've sold a domain name before (about 8 years ago). Wasn't using it for email (that's my firstnamesurname.com domain that I'd never sell...well if there were enough 0's ) and to be honest didn't have any plans for it other than it was my nickname. Got offered a good price (in the thousands!) as this company really wanted it. As I was a poor university student the money came in handy for more alcohol!

8. Thanks to Soulfish from:

SimpleSi (6th April 2012)

Thank Post
    Start at £1m and let him haggle you down

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,534 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A friend of me purchased a domain name that was his surname his e-mail address is firstname@surname.com.

Thank Post
    I would love to have my surname.co.uk but a local college has it! Did manage to get surname.eu!

hit
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewL View Post
    I would love to have my surname.co.uk but a local college has it! Did manage to get surname.eu!
    See if it's available as .it (Italy), that's what my one is - firstname@lastname.it. Like @mrwobbly it has raised eyebrows at interviews.

Thank Post
    It was still available back whenever so in a moment of weakness I got Sprogette <her-real-first-name>.me which is currently hooked up to Windows Live so no forwarding issues etc.

Sprogette who never finds her (really-not-that-unusual) firstname on gift-shop [souvenir mugs|key-rings|tat] was rather pleased... every 8yo should have one... well except they can't so the seriously competitive parents of ~ 1/2 of Sprogette's peers probably weren't so chuffed - if anyone has the right <aspiring middle class family girl's name>.me I suspect you could make a few quid

I didn't want surnames on e-safety/privacy grounds.

My only regret about it so far is that Sprogette isn't called Sue.

Thank Post
    Cheer for that I will take a look.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    I manages to get filenamesurname.co.uk about 6/8 weeks ago. I wanted surname.co.UK but it was rather expensive

Thank Post
    I had my full name as a .co.uk a while back, but I let it lapse being as I thought it was too long and cumbersome adding myname@firstnamesurname.co.uk, have my eye on one at the moment and I also have my domain setup which I use as a test bed for different things, people like seeing a domain outside of the hotmail.com type of addresses.

I also had it set so that my name was partial with the rich@rdsurname.com a while back, but again I lapsed it as I didnt like the way it spelt out, its down to personal taste I think at the end of the day.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I can get my 4 name initials as a domain but does not really show anything. I can't get firstnamelastname.co.uk but I could get firstnamelastname.PRO

.PRO Top Level Domain intended to be used by qualified professionals.

I have my nickname as .me .org.uk but that is about it.

I also use my own domain because it looks good on CV etc. as oppose to hotmail/gmail etc. had it for many years, I do have some random domains but if someone wanted one of them I don't think I would have any issues with handing it over.

James.
    Last edited by EduTech; 10th April 2012 at 06:02 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast