+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Home Internet Provider? in General; Currently with leeching Sky for BB at home but can't complain as the service rarely drops. 17.50pm for unlimited as ...

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 740 Posts
    Blog Entries

Home Internet Provider?

Currently with leeching Sky for BB at home but can't complain as the service rarely drops. 17.50pm for unlimited as I don't have their crass tv or telephone packages.

Unlimited is very important as I usually download around 10GB a week and on top of that iPlayer is chugging away on various laptops and wiis and xboxes most evenings.

Been looking at the Tesco unlimited offering which bundles line rental as well for 16.25pm for first 12 months then 20.25pm after. Speed checker reckons I'll get between 8 and 16 download speeds which is fine.

The big question though is a simple one. Are Tesco any good? Is their service reliable? Is there anyone here with them?

Moneysupermarket is showing their offering as a good deal.

Feedback / advice much appreciated.

Thank Post
    https://www.bethere.co.uk/web/beportal/homepage

Everyone on Be seems to think they're fantastic!

3. Thanks to tommej from:

tech_guy (4th April 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,926 Posts
    Tesco Broadband doesn't look like particularly good value compared to Sky...

Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Well lets break it down...

Broadband - 2.50

You must have line rental MUST be paid for which is a further 13.75 a month
    You must also have telephone package with a minimum cost of 9 a month

So in reality - 25.25

Fair Usage Policy puts it at 100GB.

My Sky package on the other hand

5 broadband
    7 telephone AND line rental (admittedly I haggled)
    Total cost for me 12

Fair usage policy - does not exist on my unlimited package!

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    I've been with Be Internet for 4 years now, not a single problem with them, excellent service, good speeds.

I get a excellent sync on my line 22Mb out of 24Mb (exchange is next road on).

Only down side I will say.... if you are interested in any fibre products from Be\O2.........you will be waiting sometime they are still testing these.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Another vote for Be. Can't fault them at all. Not the cheapest but very very good.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,129 Times in 1,025 Posts
    I'm with o2 which is be and its pretty good, sky run atop easynet connects network.

Thank Post
    Currently with Plus Net, but thinking of leaving. What are Sky like? as I hear tech support from them is not very good.

Will tell you about my Plus Net problem maybe some of you can help...

Been with them for about two years with no problems, hardware wise using the Thompson router they provided along with a 10 metre ADSL extension cable. This has been working fine in this configuration for more than a year.
    All of a sudden with no configuration changes notice my speed has dropped from around 6.5Mb to 1Mb. Call them up, log a speed fault and they tell me the enchange has downgraded my speed due to a fault and they arrange for the line to be retrained my speed goes back up to 6.5Mb. About a month later I start getting a lot of disconnections and my speed drops again so I log another call they notice the disconnections and suggest I try a different router and they arrange another line retraining. So I use my old Linksys router I had in storage and just to make sure I unplug the ADSL extension and plug the router into a new ADSL filter and plug it staright into the phone socket on the wall. So far this is working for me with two exceptions

1. the Linksys takes ages to connect (more than five minutes before the light changes from red to green)
    2. my speed still drops periodically to 1Mb but a reboot of the router sorts this out.

Plus Net will supply me with a new router for 40 or a new 18 month contract but im not convinced the router is the problem.

So what do I do?

Thank Post
    I'm with ADSL24 Office 45 @ 30 a month. I gives me a lower ratio, 45GB of data during peak hours (8 til 8) and true unlimited off peak and weekends. With no monitoring, port blocking, or minimum contract.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    BT here.

Ben

Thank Post
    If it's performance you want, I'd reccomend checking out Xilo.net. I'm currently paying 17.99/month for the 16mb Pro Home package, and the extra cost is definitely worth it. Speedtest.net actually shows me getting 18mb down/1.9mb up even though I'm paying for 2mb less downstream! There are no useage limits, no port forwarding, guaranteed 50:1 contention, free static IP address AND their tech support is really really good. The only downside is that there's no free equipment so you have to buy your own router and set it up, but for a techie person that shouldn't be a problem.

I was with Be before, and while they were generally good we did have quite a few intermittent speed issues which the tech support were not very helpful with. I think for the "average" internet user, they're probably your best bet as they're much cheaper. If you're a power user I'd definitely reccomend going with Xilo though.

Thank Post
    also with BT, somewhat by-proxy as I'm leeching off the parents via a wireless ptp link. The quality of connection has been variable, we pay for 8mb and we usually get between 2 and 6mb at peak times and a consistent 6mb off peak. The customer service is a complete joke. Any issue, bargain on spending on 45 minutes - 2 hours to get it fixed if its anything other than a simple fault and god help you if you have a non standard setup as they will always blame your gear, and try to patronise you. I have to get a bit shirty and flop out my CCNA to get them to take me seriously. If there is any kind of exchange problem, or line fault expect the fix to take up to 4 days.

Basically, in the next two years I am expecting the situation to reverse, and the parents to leach off me, at which time I will probably go for Xilo, as i have all my own gear (cisco 1721 router, firebox x50 firewall. God bless GoIndustry DoveBid!)

Thank Post
    BT Infinity - 36.5Mb Download 10.0Mb Upload. Unlimited. Worth every penny. Our exchange is over 5km away and the best any standard ADSL provider can do is around 0.5Mb.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post
    also with BT, somewhat by-proxy as I'm leeching off the parents via a wireless ptp link. The quality of connection has been variable, we pay for 8mb and we usually get between 2 and 6mb at peak times and a consistent 6mb off peak. The customer service is a complete joke. Any issue, bargain on spending on 45 minutes - 2 hours to get it fixed if its anything other than a simple fault and god help you if you have a non standard setup as they will always blame your gear, and try to patronise you. I have to get a bit shirty and flop out my CCNA to get them to take me seriously. If there is any kind of exchange problem, or line fault expect the fix to take up to 4 days.
    This doesn't happen at all with Xilo. They basically assume that you're experienced enough to have tried all the obvious stuff, and go straight to "proper" tech support. That being said, if they pass the issue through to BT and BT find that the fault was with your gear, the amount BT charge Xilo will be passed on to you. This shouldn't really be a problem for you though, as you're probably phoning your ISP as a last resort when nothing else is fixed.

That being said, this might be standard practice for all ISPs. I just got stung by it because I replaced a dodgy filter with one which turned out to be broken out of the box.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I now migrated back to be and it is great I am on the lower package and I get 10/1mbit on thinkbroadband speed test. I have steamed lovefilm and BBC HD with no problems. I also use ADSLnation micro filters as that make a big difference to you connection. I notice that Xilo uses be for LLU line.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sdrawkcab View Post
    If it's performance you want, I'd reccomend checking out Xilo.net. I'm currently paying 17.99/month for the 16mb Pro Home package, and the extra cost is definitely worth it.
    Xilo looks good, except for the 75GB usage cap. Does this only apply at peak times or is it all the time?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast