+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Virgin at it again :( in General; Seems from april onwards their new policy is if you go over the lower caps, they'll reduce your speed by ...

Thank Post

Virgin at it again :(

Seems from april onwards their new policy is if you go over the lower caps, they'll reduce your speed by 50% or even 75% if on lower packages.

Take a look:

http://shop.virginmedia.com/content/...reshold_30.pdf
    http://shop.virginmedia.com/content/...reshold_20.pdf

Virgin Media

Sadfully doesn't even seem to be april fools joke

Steve

2. Thanks to Steve21 from:

Davit2005 (3rd April 2012)

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    Wondered why Having downloaded 30+ gig of (legitimate) logic pro + content my interweb seems to be slower now.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So on the 50Mb package, I can basically download 15GB during the day/evening in total. Outside these times, no limit.

To be honest, 15GB of download in a day is a lot. That's 450GB in a month!

I share my connection with 3 other people who do online streaming, downloading etc... and we hit about 120GB a month total.

Thank Post
    It's a shame, over the years I have paid the same and all that happens to me is I get more bandwidth for the same price.

In fact I am one of those who will get even more, it's in June for me I think.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    So on the 50Mb package, I can basically download 15GB during the day/evening in total. Outside these times, no limit.

I share my connection with 3 other people who do online streaming, downloading etc... and we hit about 120GB a month total.
    Only if you're in the house during the day. On my package I can watch all of 2 iplayer videos before being hit by the cap great! hehe

Steve

Thank Post

and you're home in the day to use it? 4pm-9pm is 5GB limit. you can hit that in under 15 minutes going at full speed.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tbutcher View Post
    and you're home in the day to use it? 4pm-9pm is 5GB limit. you can hit that in under 15 minutes going at full speed.
    No, I'm not home during the day - outside those hours it isn't capped, so that on its own is a further 307.6 Gigabytes per day allowed (theoretical). (50Mbps is 6.25 Megabytes per second theoretically...).

Seriously, between 7 and 7 most people are either at work or travelling, or eating. So that is effectively 2 hours in an evening to use 5GB of data. Outside of that, they can do what they want.

Even watching HD video stream in H.264, at a high quality you're using a maximum of 6Mbps, which is roughly 2 hours of HD video in 5GB of allowance.

Thank Post
    weekends the cap is 12pm-12am

im on 100mbit since feb/march . Kinda regretting it now lol !

Then again i dont tend to use the NET untill 5pm during the week , so wont really affect me unless i want to download 30gb between then and 9/10pm

weekend though , that could be a tough one .

I was planning to purchase some remote space to upload my CCTV recording automatically ... Wont be doing that now

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,021 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Virgin's infrastructure is not up to the task. They're upgrading everyone however their systems can't cope enough for frankly ridiculous "fair usage" limits? They're taking the urine. I've just written to them to show my dissatisfaction re usage limits, price rises, their disregard for written instructions (i.e. please don't phone me or I'll find you and cut your balls off with a rusty spoon) and a few other things. Just not competitive any more, crap service for too much money.

Thank Post
    No, I'm not home during the day - outside those hours it isn't capped, so that on its own is a further 307.6 Gigabytes per day allowed (theoretical). (50Mbps is 6.25 Megabytes per second theoretically...).

Seriously, between 7 and 7 most people are either at work or travelling, or eating. So that is effectively 2 hours in an evening to use 5GB of data. Outside of that, they can do what they want.

Even watching HD video stream in H.264, at a high quality you're using a maximum of 6Mbps, which is roughly 2 hours of HD video in 5GB of allowance.
    Where do you get 7 to 7? It's 4-9pm, and remember it's only 5GB cap on 50MB+

Steve

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Davit2005 View Post
    Wondered why Having downloaded 30+ gig of (legitimate) logic pro + content my interweb seems to be slower now.
    It was a Mid Saturday afternoon but getting a legit copy of Logic Pro 9 From apple For £150 was too good to miss however. And still got the issue of upgrading to another MAC and moving the software across without any instal disc ????.
    Last edited by Davit2005; 3rd April 2012 at 02:27 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve21 View Post
    Where do you get 7 to 7? It's 4-9pm, and remember it's only 5GB cap on 50MB+

Steve
    7 to 7 is a normal person not at home or eating. It wasn't directly linking to their times. 4-9pm would leave 2 hours for the average person to use 5GB of data in on a 50Mb connection. To me that seems plenty, even when shared between 4 people in one house (no kids, just young professionals).

Thank Post
    I’m on one of the lower packages but other than the 100Mb package didn’t they throttle them all anyway? They are doubling the speeds so as they get to your area and you get the speed increase I assume you also get the bandwidth increase i.e. 10Mb gets doubled to 20Mb and you then get the download limits shown in the 20Mb table.
    If you are on the top package already i.e. 100Mb then you will be moved to 120Mb which isn’t shown on the tables because the top package is the only one they don’t throttle.

I’m not sure if they have changed the limits because I don’t have a copy of my old limits but the throttling isn’t anything new.

I think my area gets upgraded June onwards but I’m not holding my breath because they didn’t give me the upload upgrade until recently and it seems to have had a negative effect on my download. I used to get a constant 10Mb download but now speedtest.net frequently tops out around the 8Mb mark. I will just have to wait and see what happens when I get the next upgrade…

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Davit2005 View Post
    It was a Mid Saturday afternoon but getting a legit copy of Logic Pro 9 From apple For £150 was too good to miss however. And still got the issue of upgrading to another MAC and moving the software across without any instal disc ????.
    Time machine FTW. Upgraded my machine a fortnight ago and had hardly anything to download as a result.

Thank Post
    Just been on the phone to VM, there is no infomation about the current 100MB to 120MB limits however they are advising that the may be the same as the current 100MB limits

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast