+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Virgin at it again :( in General; Originally Posted by notalot Just been on the phone to VM, there is no infomation about the current 100MB to ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by notalot View Post
    Just been on the phone to VM, there is no infomation about the current 100MB to 120MB limits however they are advising that the may be the same as the current 100MB limits
    It also might mean they are not putting a quota on the top tier but even if they do which will be a significant change for VM the download quota on 100Mb is surely enough? What are people downloading if they need more than 10 GB in the evening? Quotas higher than that would suggest to me that they are business users and should probably be using a leased line.

20000MB between 10 and 3
    10000MB between 4 and 9pm

Thank Post
    I run a Minecraft server (a farly popular one) I rack up about .5TB per month of trafic. Im yet to do the exect math so dont know if it will effect me, but I know it will be close

Thank Post
    I run a Minecraft server (a farly popular one) I rack up about .5TB per month of trafic. Im yet to do the exect math so dont know if it will effect me, but I know it will be close
    depends what times of day you are getting that amount of traffic, i assume its got peak times and isn't an even spread?

Thank Post
    Never got into minecraft but I assume your uploads could be an issue as well then if you are running a server as they have even lower limits in place for them. Fingers crossed then that they keep the new top tier limit free for you the fact that the table doesn't show a 120Mb tier does suggest to me that it will remain quota free but you never know with VM...

Edit: just noticed that the upload limits are higher in the evening than the download limits on the higher packages which seems a bit strange but might help you...
    Last edited by ToyHeartsFan; 4th April 2012 at 12:41 PM.

Thank Post
    And this is why Internet TV and download-only consoles will have trouble... ISPs holding back technology... nothing changes

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 809 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Virgin... nothing changes
    Fixed that for you

5GB 4-9 sucks....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    5GB 4-9 sucks....
    But your quota will double when they upgrade your connection to 100Mb for free, 10GB for normal use is more than enough. If you want more than 10GB then upgrade to the120Mb tier (assuming it will be quota free).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 809 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ToyHeartsFan View Post
    But your quota will double when they upgrade your connection to 100Mb for free, 10GB for normal use is more than enough. If you want more than 10GB then upgrade to the120Mb tier (assuming it will be quota free).
    On any package you are throttled during peak times regardless. You dont even get 10GB to use as you please, you get 10GB of anything but XY as we will nerf you regardless. It also has a habbit if breaking legitimate p2p software like WoW and throttling that too. I am lucky, I dont have any limit, any restriction just use as you please.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I can burn through any cap in a day without resorting to illegal filesharing. 4 computers, 3 of which are owned by gamers and all three run Steam/WoW. With no way to distribute game content updates centrally that means three individual downloads on patch days!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tbutcher View Post
    depends what times of day you are getting that amount of traffic, i assume its got peak times and isn't an even spread?
    Of cource, however our peek is at about 5pm, just done the math and it should be fine however on the current 100 line upload isnt throttled.

Quote Originally Posted by ToyHeartsFan View Post
    Never got into minecraft but I assume your uploads could be an issue as well then if you are running a server as they have even lower limits in place for them. Fingers crossed then that they keep the new top tier limit free for you the fact that the table doesn't show a 120Mb tier does suggest to me that it will remain quota free but you never know with VM...
    Indeed thats what it suggests however after speaking with VM yesterday they have no infomation at all on the 120 line other than when its comming to each area.

Is it just me or are those tables confusing?

After speaking with VM there is an addon called upgraged upstream but you have to pay extra that then throtles you, normal VM madness.

Thank Post
    My speed went down to around 1Mb last night just by watching ITV online for the Chelsea match and downloading a couple of Linux LiveCDs...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 791 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I will change the "for free" with "for a small extra monthly cost". It's not free. It's Appletalk. (and I don't mean in the networking terms either, I mean the stuff you find lying around in fields full of cows)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12