+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, You know you're a geek when ... in General; Originally Posted by Iain.Faulkner You mean mine won't work without a power lead or a network cable plugged in!! Thank ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain.Faulkner View Post
    You mean mine won't work without a power lead or a network cable plugged in!!

Thank god for that, I've been pulling my hair out over this one :-)
    Damn - I thought mine was wireless too

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 1,134 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I used to watch Buffy and Angel and point out the various Macs, including the specific models ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    In the later episodes of Stargate, I used to watch and think "Yeah, as if the US military are going to use 17" Dell XPS notebooks as their workstations"

Thank Post
    You see Cisco IP phones in "use" and think "now, I know you can't DO that with it..."..heh. Or hear one ring and smile in a shopping centre.

You know you've spent too long with Vauxhalls when one goes past and you mutter "hydraulic lifters gummed up there, poor maintenance boyo..", or see the lights flicker in a certain way at lights etc, and think "Bingo, another AF13/13II/17/20 gearbox there..", or you hear a servo whine and think "Vauxhall" before you turn round..got to love the ePAS systems..heh.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,750 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    I used to watch Buffy and Angel and point out the various Macs, including the specific models ...
    I'm surprised you could look away from Buffy - I certainly couldn't take my eyes off Angel to be looking at Macs!

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You know you are a geek when you watch an anime, see they are using an XP workstation connecting remotely to a Windows 7 machine and go "Ahh! There is an example of Windows 7 in the media after all!"

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirbendy View Post
    You see Cisco IP phones in "use" and think "now, I know you can't DO that with it..."..heh. Or hear one ring and smile in a shopping centre.

You know you've spent too long with Vauxhalls when one goes past and you mutter "hydraulic lifters gummed up there, poor maintenance boyo..", or see the lights flicker in a certain way at lights etc, and think "Bingo, another AF13/13II/17/20 gearbox there..", or you hear a servo whine and think "Vauxhall" before you turn round..got to love the ePAS systems..heh.
    Cisco phones - often turned off when people are "using" them. I like that one.

As for vehicles - not my strong suit, but I can "feel" the wife's TypeR rather than hear it, so I always know when she's home rather than a neighbour parking up.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Norphy View Post
    In the later episodes of Stargate, I used to watch and think "Yeah, as if the US military are going to use 17" Dell XPS notebooks as their workstations"
    Using 'Alienware' would just be too on the nose

I automaticlly pick which version of Windows or Office etc. from notification sounds or default wallpapers/ui shots. Models of phone, printer and PCs. I have also picked out the random command line / cisco ios command stuff and get wound up seeing html streaming down the screen as they are going on about code.

I also see all the computer internals pushed into service as props in movies, motherboard in Paycheck, ATX power connecters used for data in Mission to Mars. Walls of Dell servers behind glass or in the open apparently running but making no noise - really oneis loud enough, a whole wall is deafening (Firewall, Numb3rs, Chuck, Bones...).

The makes of certain 'infinate resolution' security cammeras used in TV, magic GPS that works underground.

Knowing some things can wreak TV if you let it, science is a big one, one psycologist I knew just could not watch scifi as they always got stuff about the brain wrong. Its a case of suspending beleif with shear force of will.

As the the US using Dell laptops, did you see the shuttles/IIS, they are still using reborded thinkpads, using current performance Dells is probably a scifi level step up from S.O.P. of the US Gov.

Thank Post
    Shopping with the missus, pointing out the various till models or saying, we used to do them!...IBM 4840 surepos that is...

Thank Post
    'infinate resolution' security cammeras
    You mean they are not real????

Si

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12