+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Making ICT more accessible for younger children in General; I would love to hear your ideas of how you have changed, improved or not as the case may be, ...

Thank Post

Making ICT more accessible for younger children

I would love to hear your ideas of how you have changed, improved or not as the case may be, you ICT for nursery (4 years) and up in a primary environment.

I want to retain the base skills, mouse and keyboard control etc but give it a new slant.

We have the usual PC whiteboard combo, inspire me

Thank Post
    We use Tux Paint to allow them to draw and colour pictures. I have also created resources for sorting shapes and other things. Sometimes things can be a little difficult for them but mostly they manage it fine.

If you use windows, there's tux type which is a game where you find the letters on the keyboard before the fish gets to the bottom of the screen and there is also tux maths that lets the user develop their number skills as well as numerical keyboard skills. They both get more difficult as you get better.

I say if you use windows as the Tux Type isn't too great on OS X, I assume it would be good on a linux based system too.

Tux paint is also handy if you wish to do images based on certain topics. It has stamps installed as well as the ability to add your own line drawings. These are particularly good as when the little ones a re colouring the outlines remain. I drew a line drawing of a superhero, imported it and they coloured it in and put a face on it!

Then theres CBeebies. Its a good resource which most of them would be familiar with and probably used before. A good starting point.

3. Thanks to HodgeHi from:

CHR1S (29th March 2012)

Thank Post
    We have a couple of usb drawing tablets attached to our nursery pc's to allow the children to "draw" more easily using the sylus as apposed to using a mouse. Apart from going down the route of "touch devices" i.e. ipads etc there's not much else we use here. One ingenius thing i've seen (and im esily impressed lol) the nursery staff stick a little bit of velcro on the left click button of the mouse, so children get used to where the left click is.

5. Thanks to pooley from:

CHR1S (29th March 2012)

Thank Post
    The stylus idea is good, do they not find it difficult to grasp the pad to screen difference?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread