+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Local pay for teachers - Industrial action looms in General; In the past few years pretty much all of our school based members in the Uk have been through the ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,032 Posts
    Blog Entries

Local pay for teachers - Industrial action looms

In the past few years pretty much all of our school based members in the Uk have been through the process of having their wages set at a central 'local' level. Now the govt want teachers to have their wages set in a similar way, but even down at a school by school level.

BBC News - Schools could be hit by industrial action over pay

I can see lots of plusses and minuses here. Thoughts?

Thank Post
    Should we support them after the lack for support we had from them over Job evolution? A lot of support staff both IT and TA’s have lost of lot of wage and on the whole the teachers did not care or support us. What’s the betting now it affects them they want us to support them?

3. 2 Thanks to Pottsey:

Davit2005 (27th March 2012), mole (27th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,301 Times in 1,700 Posts
    Strike was inevitable given the government's recent announcements. However, with the government trying to make every school an academy, the local pay negotiations were inevitable anyway. Academies don't have to stick to national pay schemes.

Personally, with one child doing A level and the other GCSE this year, I'll just be hoping for minimal disruption.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 832 Posts
    Pump more money in to the rich areas and less in to the poor. Where have I heard this before?

[drops political hand grenade and runs away]

Thank Post
    Donning my flame retardant pants for a moment & being hired by Beelzebub himself, I can kinda see the reasoning. Why pay someone in an area where cost of living is low the same as someone where the cost of living is high. You either have to sort everything out with local (read London) weightings or end up raising and raising pay so those in high cost areas can live. Would it make school areas competitive, as to attract the best teachers they will have to pay a sensible wage for the area.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    Donning my flame retardant pants for a moment & being hired by Beelzebub himself, I can kinda see the reasoning. Why pay someone in an area where cost of living is low the same as someone where the cost of living is high. You either have to sort everything out with local (read London) weightings or end up raising and raising pay so those in high cost areas can live. Would it make school areas competitive, as to attract the best teachers they will have to pay a sensible wage for the area.
    How about balancing things out by moving jobs to lower-paid areas?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    How about balancing things out by moving jobs to lower-paid areas?
    But you can't do that with a school...

Thank Post
    I'm staying well away from Teachers and strikes - everytime they do something BAD happens to me..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    But you can't do that with a school...
    True, I was thinking of the wider issues of regional wage differentials across job sectors, not just schools; in areas where unemployment is high, the private sector already pay lower wages as people are so desperate they will grab at any job. Lowering public sector wages in those areas will allow the private sector employers to pay even less, especially if the Govt freeze or even get rid of the minimum wage.

Once wages fall too low there ceases to be any incentive to work. The minimum wage is just enough to provide incentive at present. Having said that, there is a chance that the lowest paid council workers will fall below the national minimum wage level later this year if it goes up.
    Last edited by broc; 26th March 2012 at 09:09 PM.

11. Thanks to broc from:

ButterflyMoon (27th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,117 Times in 1,453 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    I can see lots of plusses and minuses here. Thoughts?
    After walking in this morning and hearing a teacher say "I'm going on strike tomorrow, I've got tickets to the ideal home show"[paraphrased]... I really don't care.

If you're going on strike, go on strike. Don't use it like a day off.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    If you're going on strike, go on strike. Don't use it like a day off.
    This. I've always wondered how many 'Strikers' are actually on the picket lines.. Not just with teaching but with every industry.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pottsey View Post
    Should we support them after the lack for support we had from them over Job evolution? A lot of support staff both IT and TA’s have lost of lot of wage and on the whole the teachers did not care or support us. What’s the betting now it affects them they want us to support them?
    Sadly I have to completely agree, a lost of support staff here lot their jobs or had to "Re-Apply" and a few were in tears as a result. We didnt go on strike, everyone just accepted it.

So this time round: I couldnt care less
    Last edited by mthomas08; 27th March 2012 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Spelling..... new keyboard!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    This. I've always wondered how many 'Strikers' are actually on the picket lines.. Not just with teaching but with every industry.
    Surely if they are not in work then they are on strike. I have no issue with people taking the day shopping as some people don't like confrontation of a picket line. I went on my first march the last time we went on strike as previously I haven't gone in as I'm not a fan of being stuck in large crowds, let alone large crowds with lots of police around who may be bored.

When you consider that during the General Strike workers were told to go for long walks, enjoy parks and spend time with their family, you can't really say that people can't enjoy themselves. Come on, if they are loosing a days pay they may as well have some fun.

But I do agree with showing the same amount of support we were shown in previous years.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    The picket line has a maximum limit of 6 members per union.

Picketing and picket lines : Directgov - Employment

The union rep wouldn't be doing their job properly if they couldn't get 6 members (depending on circumstances).

As it happens, I don't have much sympathy with the Teachers at my current school or my last one. I can't recall a single teacher even feigning an interest in the support staff's plight over single status.

Thank Post
    Yes but you forgot "we are all in it together" unless your a millionaire or a super high paid worker, where your not really in anything at all, except a fit of laughter at watching politicians squabble over petty things.

There goes the second polical hand grenade of this thread.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast