+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Local pay for teachers - Industrial action looms in General; Originally Posted by Achandler There goes the second polical hand grenade of this thread. Let's hope no one uses a ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,157 Times in 1,475 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Achandler View Post
    There goes the second polical hand grenade of this thread.
    Let's hope no one uses a holy hand grenade [of antioch].

Thank Post
    There's a possibility of teachers in the north-east of England having their pay freeze for years and years and years
    The horror! Who in their right mind would stand for that. oh...

Thank Post
    The horror! Who in their right mind would stand for that. oh...
    That would be us then the SUPPORT STAFF!! Sigh

4. Thanks to ButterflyMoon from:

X-13 (27th March 2012)

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Support staff had a negotiating body at one point, but when ConDem cut it the reaction was one of confusion. Confusion that we had a body but no-one knew it existed!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,574 Times in 1,790 Posts
    Having been a governor for the last umpteen years, I have watched many aspects of school management move towards a business model - and therefore I think salaries could well do with being set locally. Every area is different, every school is different and so a school should be able to decide for itself what to pay. Perhaps there should be national guidelines or even bands to follow, but ultimately a school should be able to pay what it wants to.
    After all, twas ever thus in the real world...

7. Thanks to witch from:

mole (27th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,821 Times in 1,228 Posts
    Blog Entries
    On one hand I can see the argument that if you do a job you get paid a certain amount no matter where you do it, on the other the reality is that the the wage you receive means different things depending on where you leave due to local living costs.

However I think the real issue is what will happen if these changes come in.
    The Government wants to balance public and private sector pay taking into account local living costs, as teachers in the North have (in general) lower living costs they (relatively) have a better standard of living than those in the South. Therefore teachers in the North can look forward a long future of pay freezes whilst they see their counterparts in the South getting rises. Does the Government really think that people are going to sit around and watch this happen without people feeling pretty peed off with the whole thing? And what happens if people decide they want to migrate to the areas with the higher pay? We end up with a shortage of teachers in the North. What happens when the Government needs to attract more people to an area of work? They offer more money.

Another potential consequence of this is that areas begin to compete with each other. If an LA decides it wants to recruit the best teachers it possibly can then it could hike the wages it pays. Other LAs get on board and begin to try and attract the best staff. As Harriet Harmon said the other day, the danger is that public sector wages actually spiral up rather balancing out.

Personally I am undecided about this but think that there are a lot of potential pitfalls in this that the Government appears to be ignoring and will probably press ahead regardless.
    Last edited by sparkeh; 27th March 2012 at 03:17 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    ... And what happens if people decide they want to migrate to the areas with the higher pay? We end up with a shortage of teachers in the North. What happens when the Government needs to attract more people to an area of work? They offer more money.

Another potential consequence of this is that areas begin to compete with each other. If an LA decides it wants to recruit the best teachers it possibly can then it could hike the wages it pays. Other LAs get on board and begin to try and attract the best staff. As Harriet Harmon said the other day, the danger is that public sector wages actually spiral up rather balancing out.
    People migrating shouldn't be an issue because the higher wages will be off set by higher living costs if people move into higher living areas without realising they won't be any better off then they are a bit silly. Th only issue will be one of will we get commuting teachers? Teacher lives in Luton and teaches in London, as is known in the business sector? I don't see it happening but that is the only thing that would throw things into array.

As for wages spiralling up, I don't see this as a bad issue & I'm surprised Labour would complain about it. If a school wants and can afford the best staff why shouldn't they. Other schools would have to take stock, do they also increase their wages or do they offer a better package (smaller class sizes, better facilities etc). If it was extended to Support staff it would mean people would maybe start getting nearer a more realistic wage, we could stop trying to recruit "Web-gurus" for college money. But I expect there will be all kinds of conditions attached & will be abolished after a couple of years.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,574 Times in 1,790 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    Teacher lives in Luton and teaches in London, as is known in the business sector? I don't see it happening but that is the only thing that would throw things into array.
    It already does - I know of at least two teachers who live down here in Dorset but teach in London - one stays away Mon-Thurs and the other commutes.
    Wouldn't it be nice to think that the spiralling wages would be extended to support staff? *cloud-cuckoo land*

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    It already does - I know of at least two teachers who live down here in Dorset but teach in London - one stays away Mon-Thurs and the other commutes.
    Wouldn't it be nice to think that the spiralling wages would be extended to support staff? *cloud-cuckoo land*
    Won't happen unless support staff start moving out of education in protest. Once there's actual demand, I'd imagine they'll have to re-evaluate things, but at the moment it seems a popular way to get into IT (and it is valuable experience, a lot of places like to see schools on IT staff's CVs).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12