+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Life under the Tories: don't say you weren't warned in General; Life under the Tories: don't say you weren't warned The Tory nightmare: don't say you weren't warned | Ian Martin ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

Life under the Tories: don't say you weren't warned

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,171 Times in 994 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I hate to be pedantic here, but that article is mainly a comment about how the author perceived the 1980's and this particular part really got my goat:

Of course the health unions, the teaching unions, the public sector unions are doing great work. Alas, the wider "economy" these days is awash with such "silly" jobs isn't it? IT support. Vajazzling. Blogging.
    Nice to see the Guardian respects our area of expertise then.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,444 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Alas, the wider "economy" these days is awash with such "silly" jobs isn't it? IT support. Vajazzling. Blogging.
    He kind of lost my sympathies at that point, when he likened my job to someone who sticks little gems on lady parts.

EDIT: ...and that is why I should refresh the page before replying.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Don't worry about it. It just shows we all agree on the same point independantly.
    The comments below the article are also make good reading too. It's like a school playground with everyone stood around chanting 'Fight, fight, fight'.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When people say 'IT Support' or even the more generic 'a job in IT' it starts to sound a bit like 'oh, I do stuff with cars' ... except that saying you do stuff with cars makes no distinction between a trained mechanic, a designer, a cabbie, someone working on Bloodhound SSC, someone doing decal and pimping of cars, someone running a car wash on their driveway at home or Jenson Button ... so yes, there are roles times when the jobs might be a bit pointless but the catch-all attitude of that point in the article stinks ... but probably sells well to the general readership. It's all about the audience!

DT2
    Lakeville, Carleton County, New Brunswick
    Thank Post
    I usually stay well away from politics, but in this instance I'll make an exception...
    They're all as bad as each other, back-stabbing spineless fools. If Labour had their way they'd spend us into oblivion, supporting the lazy, work shy, and generally everyone but the hardworking. Tories come into power and try to save us a few bob, but still fail to see the cuts are all in the wrong place and that really, they're all just blue-nosed wigs with a half-a##ed agenda...... And lib dems, I wouldn't give the vapour from my bodily returns.....
    I read a book a while back by Richard Littlejohn - To Hell in a Handcart.... And from my perspective, that's exactly what this country is heading into.
    Where are all the inspirational leaders of yesteryear like churchill, and chamberlain..... Oh, wait. They were all drunks, liars, and philanderers too...

Pfff...

7. 3 Thanks to DT2:

farmerste (29th March 2012), Flakes (29th March 2012), sonofsanta (26th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've just seen this t-shirt on the Daily Mash:

Life under the Tories: don't say you weren't warned-mash.jpg

Is it trying to say something?

9. 2 Thanks to Dos_Box:

Diello (27th March 2012), Gibbo (27th March 2012)

Thank Post
    It's only going to get worse under this bunch.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    It's only going to get worse under this bunch.
    You seem to forget who spent all the money in the first place, it does make me laugh how labour supporters forget what a state financially this country was in under labours spend spend agenda, keeping more ready made voters on benefits.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,444 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DT2 View Post
    I usually stay well away from politics, but in this instance I'll make an exception...
    They're all as bad as each other, back-stabbing spineless fools. If Labour had their way they'd spend us into oblivion, supporting the lazy, work shy, and generally everyone but the hardworking. Tories come into power and try to save us a few bob, but still fail to see the cuts are all in the wrong place and that really, they're all just blue-nosed wigs with a half-a##ed agenda...... And lib dems, I wouldn't give the vapour from my bodily returns.....
    I read a book a while back by Richard Littlejohn - To Hell in a Handcart.... And from my perspective, that's exactly what this country is heading into.
    Where are all the inspirational leaders of yesteryear like churchill, and chamberlain..... Oh, wait. They were all drunks, liars, and philanderers too...

Pfff...
    The main problem with the system, that AV (for all its benefits over FPTP) still failed to address is that, ultimately, we can still only vote for politicians.

I fear we're now entering a new era of political apathy thanks to the complete bunch of numpties we have competing for our attention. I reckon the next election will be a record low turnout.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    I have to agree with DT2. Labour did play a big part in creating the financial crisis. Although all the banks themselves created the financial crisis selling unsafe loans as safe loans, it is or should be the Government who regulate the whole thing and they did, extremely badly.

Conservatives at the time were the official Shadow Government and they also are just as bad, as they just let it happen and blamed the Labour Government when they came into power.

I also think a good percentage of politicians are absolute control freaks, obsessed with power and wealth. How many politicians have now resigned due to money/financial gain? The number is growing everyday.

How many of the EU countries fiddled with their books just to get into the Euro? Pretty much all of them, the worst being Greece. And who let this happen? Politicians! I think the official definition in the English dictionary should be changed.
    Last edited by Michael; 26th March 2012 at 02:31 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Disease View Post
    You seem to forget who spent all the money in the first place, it does make me laugh how labour supporters forget what a state financially this country was in under labours spend spend agenda, keeping more ready made voters on benefits.
    I love how Tory supporters/voters instantly jump on anyone that points out the obvious, instantly branding them Labour and proportioning blame to them. I'm not, but thanks for being so narrow minded.

Is this stupid two party politics that limits actual debate and discussion on subjects, even here it seems.

The Tories are not reducing the debt. They are still borrowing. They are also selling the country off forcing us to pay more and more. Like I said, its going to get worse and it'll not do anything to our debt.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 803 Posts
    Blog Entries

16. 7 Thanks to ZeroHour:

Arcath (27th March 2012), CharlieGreen (3rd April 2012), LeMarchand (27th March 2012), LosOjos (27th March 2012), mattx (26th March 2012), sonofsanta (27th March 2012), sparkeh (27th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    That's class. :-)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    He kind of lost my sympathies at that point
    He lost my sympathies after the first paragraph. The entire article is just a long winded way of saying "the Tories destroyed the unions"

Living in the North I've had my fair share of "nasty Tories" with absolutely no substance to the argument. Yes they destroyed the unions, but he unions almost destroyed the country, and then what have the unions done for us? Oh thats right, make deals behind closed doors about our pay and working conditions; JE, single status, no overtime rates...

It would be interesting to see how long Westminster could function if the Amalgamated Union of Baristas and Sandwich Fillers called a strike. And the civil servants came out in sympathy. And the drivers and the cleaners and the couriers and the receptionists and the child-minders and, now I come to think of it, the grandparents.
    If this is the standard of writing I think I'll be applying for a job for a Newspaper. What exactly is it he is trying to say? Is he just being stupid, in which case he might want to remember hes writing for a supposed broadsheet. Or is he being serious, which quite frankly is just frightening that people would still hold the opinion that bringing the country to its knees is justified because "they took our free teabags away from teabreak" or other such nonsense.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast