+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Malaysian Grand Prix in General; Anyone watch and enjoy it? I did. Few people I know said it was boring, but rather enjoyed the thunderstorms ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Malaysian Grand Prix

Anyone watch and enjoy it?

I did. Few people I know said it was boring, but rather enjoyed the thunderstorms causing electrical chaos, Button and Vettel both hitting the same HRT (no Vettel, the car won't disappear when you pass it! It was YOUR fault!)

Shame Perez didn't get Mr Monobrow, would have been good to see him win. The conspiracy theories were fun though. "Ferrari customer engine contract: Should you overtake one of our works cars, you will lose the right to use our engine. If you are in danger of catching and passing, use one of the following phrases to advise your driver to back off a) Alonso is faster than you. Confirm you understand b) This position is really important for us

Thank Post
    A cracking race as far as I am concerned...lots of incidents and a real shake up of the established order...

Thank Post
    I only caught the tail end. The radio messages between Vettel and his engineer were classic with 2 laps to go.

"Come in on this lap, there are mechanical problems"

"Stay out until the end"

Then just as he passes the pitlane entrance.

"STOP IMMEDIATELY. EMERGENCY STOP NOW"

I've not looked to see what the problem was but it sounds like it might have been an engine or gearbox about to blow.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Or they were trying to conserve an engine and make use of engine replacement rules.

Thank Post
    Yet another race completely ruined by a safety car. The race was too dangerous to race on wet tyres, even though 7 th place was happily lapping around on intermediates. IF the cars don't work in rain, thats a design problem and their tough luck! Unsafety cars should be banned

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Can't say I agree with that, you wouldn't do the Tour de France in such conditions, nor would you race any other type of car or most other sports for that matter. This is F1, not boat racing.
    Also worth pointing out (and it amuses/annoys me that so many people forget/discount him) that Hamilton was doing fastest laps on inters whilst everyone else was on full wets. Not for long of course, it would have been folly to have waited much longer to change.
    Changeable conditions create interesting setups. I am fairly sure Perez was a one-off there as if anyone would wring the best of a crap car, it would have been his teammate.

Thank Post
    Perez is a class act. Kobayashi is a very "good" overtaker. I'm a fan of both, but I rate Perez as the better driver all round.

As for Rain... wet tyres raise the ride height a few mm, but ultimately at speed the downforce pushes the car into the road, at Silverstone they run about 6mm off the ground at a stand still, but 2mm at speed. There's only so much water a tyre can clear... are you honestly saying you've never been in a car that's aquaplaned on UK roads? given that your road car would have at least 10 times the ride height of a modern F1 car?

Thank Post
    Ayrton Senna - Australian GP,Adelaide 1991 - wet actions - YouTube

Great racing, but wouldn't be allowed now as it's impossible to drive in those conditions

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes but without being too blunt, Senna is dead and that's one of the main reasons F1 is like it is now.

Thank Post
    Great race, really thought Perez had it in the bag(assuming he could actually pull off a pass if he did get close enough!), his attempt at 1 stopping last week wasn't as impressive. I got the impression he was holding everyone up towards the end.

Rain wise its irritating but better to have the race red flagged for a while than see 20+ safety car laps, expecting them to drive at speed with that much water being chucked around(~1+ bathtubs/sec) is insane.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Yes but without being too blunt, Senna is dead and that's one of the main reasons F1 is like it is now.
    Not too far off, the rule book was updated after that mandating the use of the wooden plank under the cars amongst other thinsg. There are lots of reasons why racing in persistent, heavy rain is problematic... I'm not trying to justify not racing in the rain, I love driving in the rain and I love watching it, but just pointing out reasons why... most of them are design regulations and limitations of the design regulations - part of the reason my F1 cars all have the same basic shapes and layout.

GT Racing is where it's at for the rain... infact, V8 Supercars at Bathurst. There's an awesome video of Glen Seton driving a Skyline in the rain at Bathurst (I'd dig up the video on youtube if it wasn't filtered here, but it's easy to find)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 1,340 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPerceptron View Post
    wooden plank under the cars
    F1 the pinnacle of automotive design and sport, wooden plank, lol

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    There's a few planks driving the things too

14. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

tech_guy (26th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Part of the issue with the Malaysian GP is that they wait until the latter hours of the day to help with TV viewing figures in Europe. It is my impression that the heavy rain/ thunderstorms come during the afternoon/evening due to the drop in temperature and that there are fewer(!) issues earlier in the day as it is warmer (note: I may barking up the wrong tree - I am no weatherman).

After the restart it was a good race, I like the inclement weather conditions it adds an air of suspense and provides interesting results. I for one wanted to see Schumacher on the podium but that was not meant to be.

It was also nice to see the emotion of Peter Sauber's face when Perez crossed the finish line.

Still think the Sky pre/post race coverage is cr@p though - commentary is better IMHO, Crofty definitely seems to have more passion for the sport!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Anyone watch and enjoy it?

I did. Few people I know said it was boring, but rather enjoyed the thunderstorms causing electrical chaos, Button and Vettel both hitting the same HRT (no Vettel, the car won't disappear when you pass it! It was YOUR fault!)

Shame Perez didn't get Mr Monobrow, would have been good to see him win. The conspiracy theories were fun though. "Ferrari customer engine contract: Should you overtake one of our works cars, you will lose the right to use our engine. If you are in danger of catching and passing, use one of the following phrases to advise your driver to back off a) Alonso is faster than you. Confirm you understand b) This position is really important for us
    It was another crazy race, not good on a brit fan side but it was fun exciting and not predictable

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast