+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Car Suggestions in General; Got a 1.6 honda executive and looking here : Civic 2001 | Honda | Car Reviews | Honest John Specifically ...

Thank Post

Car Suggestions

Got a 1.6 honda executive and looking here :

Civic 2001 | Honda | Car Reviews | Honest John

Specifically these 2 points :

Point 1 :

Make sure a/c blows cold. A/c problem on circa 2001-2004 Civics. Vanes of aircon condenser prone to dropping allowing coolant leaks. Honda has extended the warranty on the a/c because of this. Later cars not affected.

Point 2 :

Check for extensive rusting around chrome finisher above the number plate on the rear hatch.
    Is Point 1 easy enough to get a replacement from a car at the scrappy or re conditioned and fitted fairly cheaply or cheaper then a new condenser or whatever is required to make the AC run correctly ie cool as the AC ( Air Con ) in my honda doesn't seem like AC just seems the same as if I had the temp control dial on normal air flow ie wind blowing through the front when on an A or M road.

Point 2 was just wanted confirmation of where abouts they are talking about, only thing Chrome I can think of is the H ( honda ) badge but would have to check my car again.

Also only happened once when it was a cold morning ( other half was with me in the car ) but when trying to start the car ( turning key , power came on, turned key fully ) and heard what sounded like a belt slipping, any ideas on which belt or belts this may be , I presumed it was the fan belt but not a mechanic so not sure.

Also now and again smell a slight rubber burn ( not sure if this is related ) ??
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 24th March 2012 at 05:35 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    AC is a pain, its usually burried deep and as its a sealed system needs to be handled by AC people to vent the ecologicly unfreindly gas. If its gas has leaked then it will happily blow moist tepid air all the time which is not good.

As to chrome, what kind of civics do you have there? Just look for any places where water could pool and check for rust there, sills, boot hinges, bonnet hinges.

3. Thanks to SYNACK from:

mac_shinobi (24th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    AC is a pain, its usually burried deep and as its a sealed system needs to be handled by AC people to vent the ecologicly unfreindly gas. If its gas has leaked then it will happily blow moist tepid air all the time which is not good.

As to chrome, what kind of civics do you have there? Just look for any places where water could pool and check for rust there, sills, boot hinges, bonnet hinges.
    ok ta - looks like I will have to make do without AC then, although it does have a sun roof so can open this but then it is noisey and not good for listening to music.

What about the belt - any ideas on this.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Could be a fan belt, I had a 98 honda ages ago that had the AC issue, it may just have lost gas pressure and need to be regassed but this may just leak back out.

There are other belts like the AC, alternator and possibly hydrolic belts. Its probably the fan belt though and these are usually cheap and easy to replace.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread