+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
General Chat Thread, GAME group goes into administration in General; We had 2 stores in the space of about 400m of eachother.......
    Thank Post
    We had 2 stores in the space of about 400m of eachother....

Thank Post
    There were people on the news talking about Game closing as if it were part of the economic downturn, whereas they're really closing because they were unable to renegotiate contracts with EMA.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyJF View Post
    There were people on the news talking about Game closing as if it were part of the economic downturn, whereas they're really closing because they were unable to renegotiate contracts with EMA.
    They're really closing because they were unable to capitalise on a retail monopoly for the biggest, still growing entertainment sector in the UK, failing to realise what their target market wanted or how to engender loyalty in consumers to protect themselves against price competition from supermarket chains. It's just bad management through and through. Any one of us here could've come up with a dozen ideas on how to improve their shops that would've improved their chances. Meanwhile, all the shop staff are redundant at a time of high unemployment and recession whilst the executives up top will get a nice pay off and land another job at a similar retail chain elsewhere, or retire with a pension worth more per year than I've earnt in my working life :/

Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    I just had a thought... Where the farquaad am I going to get my Wii U from?

GAME/Gamestation are closing. [Gamestation was pretty decent.]

Places like ASDA/Tesco/whatever usually sell at RRP with really bad bundles [in my experience]

Amazon and Play... Well, they're good on price, but I'm not sure I trust them with a £XXX console. [YOOOOODEEEEEEEEEL!]
    My PS3 came fine from Amazon, although it may have been easier because there was someone in my house at the time it arrived. Got my 360 from Play a few years back as well and that was fine as well, now I think about it.

(and got my Wii on launch day from the GAME in Stafford, one glorious sunny September day. I miss being a student and being able to waste my money so indulgently)

Or you could get it from Comet/Curries so long as you can be bothered to fend off the warranty salesmen.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by captaincharisma View Post
    We had 2 stores in the space of about 400m of eachother....
    in murderhell (meadowhall) there were 2 stores within about 40 yards of each other you could see them both at the same time

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,968 Times in 2,183 Posts
    GAME/Gamestation are closing.
    It looks like only 277 stores are closing...

The initial casualty list for the GAME Group's administration has been released, with a grand total of 277 stores - largely Gamestation-brand - being closed in order to raise funds to save the remaining 332.

The store closures, which come as PriceWaterhouseCoopers manage GAME Group's administration, will result in 2,104 direct job losses. These figures do not count redundancies at third-party companies who work in partnership with GAME Group, and who will find their services in far smaller demand as a result.

The store closures are effective immediately, with hastily hand-drawn signs being applied to locked doors even before the list was confirmed by industry watcher Retail Week (paid subscription required.)

It is not currently known what is to happen to the stock at the closed stores, which have been locked with all items still visible on the shelves. It's possible the stock will be shuffled to still-open stores, or sold to rivals at wholesale in an attempt to clear older titles which are unlikely to sell well at retail. (Source)

Thank Post
    Gamestation was our nearest place for games for the Wii and the PC - used it to trade in some of our old Wii games

Anyone know what'll happen to the trade-in / loyalty cards?

Thank Post
    Well, at last report they had stated that they would not be honouring any trade in or laalty cards. Nor would they be accepting refunds, pre-owned games or vouchers.
    Essentially its a buyer beware scenario if you decide to buy from any of the remaining open stores.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCondon View Post
    Well, at last report they had stated that they would not be honouring any trade in or laalty cards. Nor would they be accepting refunds, pre-owned games or vouchers.
    Essentially its a buyer beware scenario if you decide to buy from any of the remaining open stores.
    Which, when they're trying to sell a 'slimmed down' version of the business, is a bit silly. I think that's going to put more people off spendng. "Wait, so I have an already-paid-for voucher/GAME card*/etc that you won't accept the value of?" and so forth.

*I don't actually know how GAME cards work, myself. I was a Gamestation kid. I just know they exist.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Anyone know what'll happen to the trade-in / loyalty cards?
    If GAME [the umbrella corporation] is staying, they should still be honoured in remaining stores and online, once they've sorted everythig out.

It is not currently known what is to happen to the stock at the closed stores, which have been locked with all items still visible on the shelves. It's possible the stock will be shuffled to still-open stores, or sold to rivals at wholesale in an attempt to clear older titles which are unlikely to sell well at retail.
    I predict a riot.

Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    *I don't actually know how GAME cards work, myself. I was a Gamestation kid. I just know they exist.
    They work like Gamestation Elite cards. [I have both.]

Thank Post
    They work like Gamestation Elite cards. [I have both.]
    .... Yeah, I have no idea how those work, either. I was just a 'Walk in. Pick up what I wanted, which I had decided prior to entering the store. Pay for it. Leave.' kinda guy. The only loyalty card I ever bothered with was a Tesco Clubcard. Now me and TOH moved house and I don't shop there anymore.

We save so much money at Aldi. It's great

Damnit. Aldi, not Aldo >.> What is with my spelling this morning?!
    Last edited by Garacesh; 28th March 2012 at 09:56 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    .... Yeah, I have no idea how those work, either. I was just a 'Walk in. Pick up what I wanted, which I had decided prior to entering the store. Pay for it. Leave.' kinda guy. The only loyalty card I ever bothered with was a Tesco Clubcard. Now me and TOH moved house and I don't shop there anymore.

We save so much money at Aldo. It's great

Basically, for every £1 you spend you get 1 point. [or something] for every... 250* points you get £2.50 off of what you buy.

You can use as many points from your card as you like, but it has to be a multiple of £2.50.

*Yes, it sounds like a lot, £250 to be exact. But, when you add in double points for preorders and the random sets of 1000 points [I've gotten them], it adds up quickly. Preordered consoles add a lot of points.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    One of my clan-mates work for a supplier that deals with GAME. Whilst chatting during a round of BF3, he revealed that plenty of trucks and vans have been arriving at their warehouse to reclaim their stuff before they flog it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345