+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, GAME group goes into administration in General; Originally Posted by bondbill2k2 I loved walking into woolworths asking how much for the till and finding out it was ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bondbill2k2 View Post
    I loved walking into woolworths asking how much for the till and finding out it was £80...not that I wanted or needed one. However the large red bull can shaped and themed freezer for £50 was tempting for my bedroom or even the office now!
    I got a lifesize cardboard standee of paul bettany for a friend of mine for £3 (the kirsten dunst one had already been sold!), last seen advertising the wimbledon film, and a load of shelving for the garage for £50 when woolworths went down...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bondbill2k2 View Post
    The amount of times I went into game and actually argued with staff when they tryed to sell me a game I knew I didn't like often completely unrelated to my purchase.
    ^ This.

Looking at FF[whatever... the long newish one.] and asking about whether Arkham City DLC will be available as cards [Like they do with CoD map packs and Fable III]...

"Can I interest you in MW3?"

The hell? Where did that come from? I didn't mention CoD as an example of DLC cards. The cards were next to me... and there were no CoD ones anyway, so I was pointing at Fable III.

Thank Post
    Think I will be off to GAME Saturday morning I have some money on a card from trade-ins and a load of points on my reward card.
    I’ve not been happy with game for a long while.
    What happened to the “be the first to play” stuff I recently pre-ordered got to me a week later.
    But this one did it for me I pre-ordered a game I got told by email it was not going to be available and so my pre-order was cancelled. Week later money had been taken from my bank account and a game turned up 2 days later. Customer support didn’t see what the problem was.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andy_nic View Post
    What happened to the “be the first to play” stuff I recently pre-ordered got to me a week later.
    But this one did it for me I pre-ordered a game I got told by email it was not going to be available and so my pre-order was cancelled. Week later money had been taken from my bank account and a game turned up 2 days later. Customer support didn’t see what the problem was.
    Even at their peak they never delivered on their first to play promises on my pre-orders. Shopto.net hands down is my place for pre-orders often receiving them 2 days before official release and good prices. My little brother who is only 16 didn't know better and pre-ordered Fifa street at GAME, then the week before release is told he won't be getting a copy from GAME as EA wont stock them passing the blame to EA which we all know EA have good reason for this! Pre-ordered on shopto less than a week before release and received 2 days before official release plus it worked out £5 less than GAME.

EA also put a notice on Fifa 12 telling those who pre-ordered from GAME to get the game from shopto, amazing or other online retailers.

Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    ^ This.
    "Can I interest you in MW3?"
    NOOOOOOOOO they love their COD I traded it back in later that week on their only decent offers get 'X' game for £5 when trading any of the following games... This case was trade MW3 in and get Battlefield 3 for £5, deal! I also had a discussion related to Batman arkham city when the staff member wanted me to purchase the guide for the game I then explained I didnt see the need as Id rather enjoy the game completing it on my own. He then trys to tell me I should trade it in and get the special edition from them because it has BONUS SKINS!!! Oh S##T how much I want that bonus texture for my character, yea sure i'll give you my hard earned cash for that. I hate pre-order DLC bonus content when its worth while (not very often) but the whole texture/skin craze sucks. They even had a guide just about how to get the DLC textures!

Just looked on their site they are now taking pre-ordereds for the £359 star wars console and Diablo 3 £69.99, stop promoting these expensive packs so much they won't sell that well just get average game prices down!
    Last edited by bondbill2k2; 22nd March 2012 at 12:11 PM.

Thank Post
    I'm not someone who quivers with excitement at the though of getting a game at 1 minute past midnight and then rushing home to be one of the first to play. I'l happily wait a few days/week, or longer if I deem it to be too much. However that's one of the things I love about Steam. I pre-ordered something on it (can't remember what as it was a while ago) and it downloaded a week before. On release day, logged into Steam, waited for it to activate the game (a few seconds) and then I was away. Happy days!

Thank Post
    I remember the old days, the Jan sales they used to have - going into the (admittedly packed) shop to find that there was the gem of a new game at about £3-£5. The old "this week on offer" games, where each week a single, relatively new title was £10 with any other purchase. Staff were helpful, liked more of a range of games than CoD, and were actually nice to talk to.

I went in recently though. After getting grunted at by an employee for being in his limited field of view, I was almost leapt on by another employee whos enthusiasm I can only put down to whatever glue they had managed to find licking boxes in the storeroom. I did, however know what I was looking for and managed to fend him off.

All I was looking for was a copy of Batman: Arkham City for PS3, but the price of their preowned copy alone was sufficient to cut that visit short.

Luckily for me - there's a Grainger Games close by, who in Derby seem to be taking quite a lot of business from the Game group. It's not hard to see why.
    Last edited by korifugi; 22nd March 2012 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Why, oh, why did I put Asylum and not City?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,995 Times in 934 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well, it now officially 'in' administration: BBC News - Game Group goes into administration

TBH, I think anyone trying to sell games on the high street should learn alot from Games Workshop. There should be more 'hands on' with new games, not simply looping trailers with 'Not actual game footage' listed at the bottom of the screen. Have multiple platforms all availble to test games on, and take a lesson out of Games Workshop's books. Have after hours gaming sessions and get people in the shops. Gaming needn't be a solitary pursuit and getting a loyal customer base is one (almost) guarenteed way of keeping afloat when times are tough.
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 26th March 2012 at 12:05 PM.

8. Thanks to Dos_Box from:

Rawns (26th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,788 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Well, it now officially 'in' administration: BBC News - Game Group goes into administration

TBH, I think anyone trying to sell games on the high street should learn alot from Games Workshop. There should be more 'hands on' with new games, not simply looping trailers with 'Not actual game footage' liested at the bottom of the screen. Have multiple p[latforms all availble to test games on, and take a lesson out of Games Workshop's books. Have after hours gaming sessions and get peole in the shops. Gaming needn't be a solitary pursuit and getting a loyal customer base is one (almost) guarenteed way of keeping afloat when times are tough.
    Agree 100%.

Thank Post
    Think I'll wonder down there on lunch ad see what's going on sale-wise.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,512 Times in 1,206 Posts
    To be honest, I think this was always on the cards. It's not just Game, but other retailers too.

Rates have gone up, VAT has gone up and sales in general are down. It just isn't sustainable to sell games using the business model they have.

It will be interesting to see what happens to Computer Exchange (CEX) as they're in the same business.

The likes of Play and Amazon are doing extremely well, but I question for how long. It's only a matter of time before games are no longer sold on a physical disc, but streamed to a console. This'll mean game manufacturers will make even more money as they cut out the middle-man retailer.

Thank Post
    TBH, I think anyone trying to sell games on the high street should learn alot from Games Workshop. There should be more 'hands on' with new games, not simply looping trailers with 'Not actual game footage' listed at the bottom of the screen. Have multiple platforms all availble to test games on, and take a lesson out of Games Workshop's books. Have after hours gaming sessions and get people in the shops. Gaming needn't be a solitary pursuit and getting a loyal customer base is one (almost) guarenteed way of keeping afloat when times are tough.
    As a Warhammer 40,000 player (which TOH hates ) I couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    -snip- It will be interesting to see what happens to Computer Exchange (CEX) as they're in the same business.

The likes of Play and Amazon are doing extremely well, but I question for how long. It's only a matter of time before games are no longer sold on a physical disc, but streamed to a console. This'll mean game manufacturers will make even more money as they cut out the middle-man retailer.
    Well, CEX doesn't just deal with the 'top 10' like GAME did.. Serious nostalgia when you can waltz in and buy an N64. I'm okay with this.
    As for the final point, Steam seem to be doing well at that. Not only is it good to not have to worry about a physical disk that can get bork'd up, but it's all-over easier which people always love. I've wondered why other retailers haven't done this. And then BOOM. EA Origin. Which everybody hates. xD

Thank Post

My main gripe with GW is their steadfast refusal to stock half of their game lines in the actual shops!
    Plus the absolute denial that they even have an RP line of games (ok they are published under license by someone else but they exist and are damn popular).
    That just screams loss of sales opportunity by cross matching products.

But then again I remembed the heady days of yore when GW where a games Hobby shop and not a catalogue shop :P
    But it doesn't seem to have curbed their particular brand of plastic sprued success!

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    GW is horribly expensive but then again, so is the video games industry! Plus GW are kind of running a high street monopoly at the moment in the tabletop wargame business. I reckon if another manufacturer was sufficiently big to have their own store, they'd have to bring their prices down a few notches.

As for trying games, that was commonplace at one point but the consoles in video game shops appear to have been dying out.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    As for trying games, that was commonplace at one point but the consoles in video game shops appear to have been dying out.
    Ah, I remember getting demo disks for PS1 out of magazines...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    Ah, I remember getting demo disks for PS1 out of magazines...
    And Demo discs in PC magazines.

Hell, I remember buying PC games when they came in giant cardboard boxes. The joy of opening them to find a tiny CD-ROM case in there. I could only fit 7 or so on my shelf. Most of them were the games from the 'Unreal' series. I treasured them like a third leg.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast