+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
General Chat Thread, Pimp out your techie's office in General; I woke up this morning, looked out the window, the sun hit my face and put me in a bit ...
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    16
    Thank Post
    4
    Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    12

    Cool Pimp out your techie's office

    I woke up this morning, looked out the window, the sun hit my face and put me in a bit of a sharing kind of mood! I suppose a little bit of self promotion mood as well sorry

    So here goes.

    Over the past few weeks I have setup and installed an LCD Display on our Techies office door after having it changed to some sort of sound proofed lead lined door that the pupils could not here us shouting come in at all! I also had another reason as you will read (more of an excuse to play really)

    I have wrote up a quick overview if you are interested with some pictures here kism3t1: My Work and all code is available at the bottom of the page for anyone wanting a look. It might be a nice addition to your office?

    It is controllable over the network with a simple python server/client app (The IP and ports are hardcoded im afraid) I had to keep it simple for the pupils, plus im a bit simple

    We really do use this everyday and thought it might be nice to share with everyone, so hope you like it.

  2. 3 Thanks to kism3t:

    plexer (20th March 2012), ShorehamGeek (21st March 2012), TechMonkey (21st March 2012)

  3. #2


    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,136
    Thank Post
    276
    Thanked 849 Times in 637 Posts
    Rep Power
    334
    If you haven't already, have a look at PicAxe. They are not quite as powerful as Arduino or RPi, but they can be programmed in basic and can be much much cheaper than either Arduino or RPi for simple embedded applications.

  4. Thanks to pcstru from:

    kism3t (20th March 2012)

  5. #3


    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,105
    Thank Post
    256
    Thanked 450 Times in 251 Posts
    Rep Power
    141
    I'm thinking of getting a touch screen panel and setting up a terminal for submitting helpdesk tickets outside my office (which I move into in the summer!)

    Also considering getting another one to go next to the monster AIO printer/copier, so people can access files while standing next to the printer and hitting print.

  6. #4
    Pete10141748's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,365
    Thank Post
    106
    Thanked 220 Times in 130 Posts
    Rep Power
    86
    That's pretty cool! Personally, I've gone with the low-budget version of this; a laminated piece of card, one side says "Please knock and then enter" with a large smiley face, the other side with a stop sign that says I am not in.

    Just blue-tacked it to my office door and I flip it over when I am in/out respectively.

  7. Thanks to Pete10141748 from:

    kism3t (20th March 2012)

  8. #5
    kernewek-sam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    264
    Thank Post
    66
    Thanked 50 Times in 46 Posts
    Rep Power
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete10141748 View Post
    Just blue-tacked it to my office door and I flip it over when I am in/out respectively.
    It's not been "borrowed" and stuck to another door etc yet? Ours barely lasted a week.

  9. #6

    plexer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    13,726
    Thank Post
    667
    Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,463 Posts
    Rep Power
    424
    It's very cool, how about a controller with a push button keypad with those commands printed on them so that you don't have to have a pc/laptop available to run that side of things.

    Ben

  10. Thanks to plexer from:

    kism3t (20th March 2012)

  11. #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    16
    Thank Post
    4
    Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete10141748 View Post
    That's pretty cool! Personally, I've gone with the low-budget version of this; a laminated piece of card, one side says "Please knock and then enter" with a large smiley face, the other side with a stop sign that says I am not in.

    Just blue-tacked it to my office door and I flip it over when I am in/out respectively.
    that was V0.01 for me too! I did however have a few bugs with the paper to blu-tack interface and over time the structural integrity of the sign did get compromised, I do wish I had thought of upgrading to laminate!

  12. #8

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    16
    Thank Post
    4
    Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    It's very cool, how about a controller with a push button keypad with those commands printed on them so that you don't have to have a pc/laptop available to run that side of things.

    Ben
    Thanks Ben

    Funny you should say that, it was originaly going to have some buttons on the wall with 'come in' 'go away' etc on them but when I came to put the LCD together with the Arduino I would of had to run long cables to where we sit.

    And more importantly it would of had to be on the wall out the way which would mean if we wanted to press the button we would have to... get up out of our nice comfy seat to reach the buttons perish the thought

    It also opened it up so we could have it running on each techies own work area making everyone feel special, I do agree though it would be nice to have some physical buttons, maybe when I have a spare few hours

  13. #9

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,817
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Rep Power
    350
    Possibly add a system like in the post office... "Technician Number 2 please"

  14. 2 Thanks to glennda:

    Arcath (21st March 2012), Edu-IT (23rd March 2012)

  15. #10

    X-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    9,175
    Thank Post
    600
    Thanked 1,990 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    837
    I don't even have an office...

  16. #11

    plexer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    13,726
    Thank Post
    667
    Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,463 Posts
    Rep Power
    424
    Quote Originally Posted by kism3t View Post
    Thanks Ben

    Funny you should say that, it was originaly going to have some buttons on the wall with 'come in' 'go away' etc on them but when I came to put the LCD together with the Arduino I would of had to run long cables to where we sit.

    And more importantly it would of had to be on the wall out the way which would mean if we wanted to press the button we would have to... get up out of our nice comfy seat to reach the buttons perish the thought

    It also opened it up so we could have it running on each techies own work area making everyone feel special, I do agree though it would be nice to have some physical buttons, maybe when I have a spare few hours
    Zigbee?

    Ben

  17. #12


    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Rural heck
    Posts
    2,662
    Thank Post
    120
    Thanked 434 Times in 353 Posts
    Rep Power
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete10141748 View Post
    That's pretty cool! Personally, I've gone with the low-budget version of this; a laminated piece of card, one side says "Please knock and then enter" with a large smiley face, the other side with a stop sign that says I am not in.

    Just blue-tacked it to my office door and I flip it over when I am in/out respectively.
    I'd like something similar, except with off! I'm having a bad day on both sides.

  18. #13

    X-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    9,175
    Thank Post
    600
    Thanked 1,990 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    837
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C.Leblanc View Post
    I'd like something similar, except with off! I'm having a bad day on both sides.
    You have that on one side. The other is simply the scream from an enraged Panther.

  19. #14

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    16
    Thank Post
    4
    Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Zigbee?

    Ben
    That would be nice I wish I had the pocket for a couple

  20. #15
    chazzy2501's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South West
    Posts
    1,801
    Thank Post
    215
    Thanked 265 Times in 215 Posts
    Rep Power
    68
    I have a white board and a pen on a string on my door!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 1st February 2012, 08:23 PM
  2. How do you lay out your music rooms?
    By mitchell1981 in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 20th July 2010, 04:04 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •