+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27
General Chat Thread, An open letter to the Scum in General; This is one major issue I have with the media in this country - why on Earth is it perfectly ...
  1. #16

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,185
    Thank Post
    1,285
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 730 Posts
    Rep Power
    658
    This is one major issue I have with the media in this country - why on Earth is it perfectly acceptable to show dead or dying people anywhere at any time, but bad language and a bit of nudity (I'm not talking pron or full frontal here!) are strictly after the watershed? Seems like somewhere along the line, priorities got seriously messed up.

  2. #17

    X-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    8,009
    Thank Post
    508
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    700
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    This is why you get called a troll! I'm trying to debate your point with you and you just respond with some random 4chan image!
    It's a accurate representation of my feelings. Simply replying to the comment, but not the the subject.

    I'm trying to find the image in question, as I can't remember it. [Not to post, just to refresh my memory.]

    Once I've refeshed my memory, and sorted out what I want to say [which may take a while], then a proper reply will come.


    Le EDIT: Hmm... All I can find is a picture of him surrounded by medics. You can't see anything. Maybe the top of his head and a bit of his shirt... But that's it.
    Last edited by X-13; 21st March 2012 at 10:43 AM.

  3. Thanks to X-13 from:

    Little-Miss (23rd March 2012)

  4. #18
    36Degrees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    1,037
    Thank Post
    161
    Thanked 147 Times in 119 Posts
    Rep Power
    50
    I agree with the "don't like, don't read" and the fact that there often is some elitist / snobby views based on what paper you choose to read. However, I can assure you that the paper, TV station, etc. is irrelevant as there are good journalists and bad journalists across them all and I suspect good editors and bad editors across them all.

  5. #19

    X-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    8,009
    Thank Post
    508
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    700
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    I don't like it and don't read it, but why should my daughter have to look in to they eyes of a dead/dying man because these scum bags plaster the image across their front page with no regard for the effect it could have on people?
    Ok. I'm going to need a link to this image. All I can find is a similar one to the one in Daisy cutter.

    And if it's acceptable there then this rage is unwarrented. [Providing it's the same image.]

    It can't be worse than the Gadaffi image... Or the various domestic abuse images.... Or the "beaten by chavs" images... The ones that every other paper uses as well.


    All I can find is this [image as link for those who don't want to see it] Which was in the TORONTO sun[US] and the HERALD sun [AU].

    Any searches for the actual image behind all this just result in references to Daisy Cutter.
    Last edited by X-13; 21st March 2012 at 10:59 AM.

  6. #20

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,185
    Thank Post
    1,285
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 730 Posts
    Rep Power
    658
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    It can't be worse than the Gadaffi image... Or the various domestic abuse images.... Or the "beaten by chavs" images... The ones that every other paper uses as well.
    Take the Gadaffi example - whereas most papers published pictures of him as he was captured (and crucially, before he was shot), wasn't it the Sun again who posted the picture of him lay dead?

    I'm not going to look for the image because I don't want to see it, but I can only assume they've removed it because of the back lash. Again.

    I'm not being a snob about which paper you read, frankly I couldn't give a sh*t, but I do get mighty annoyed when, as I said earlier, the Sun post images on their front page that I don't want my daughter looking at as we walk through the shop; it's not on.

    It boils down to what I said earlier though, why on Earth is it deemed acceptable (from a legal standpoint) to show dead/dying people on TV at any time and on the front pages of newspapers?

  7. #21

    X-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    8,009
    Thank Post
    508
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    700
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Take the Gadaffi example - whereas most papers published pictures of him as he was captured (and crucially, before he was shot), wasn't it the Sun again who posted the picture of him lay dead?

    I'm not going to look for the image because I don't want to see it, but I can only assume they've removed it because of the back lash. Again.

    I'm not being a snob about which paper you read, frankly I couldn't give a sh*t, but I do get mighty annoyed when, as I said earlier, the Sun post images on their front page that I don't want my daughter looking at as we walk through the shop; it's not on.

    It boils down to what I said earlier though, why on Earth is it deemed acceptable (from a legal standpoint) to show dead/dying people on TV at any time and on the front pages of newspapers?
    The Gadaffi image wasn't on. That was pretty disturbing... And, yeah they did use it. [A quick google also has it on The Mirror, The Guardian, BBC news and the metro.]

    That's OK. If you don't want to see it, you don't want to see it. I can't remember what the image was, and all I can find are similar ones, so I may as well duck out of this thread.

    I also, don't give a [censored] what paper you read. TBH, I barely read the paper. And I get that you don't want your daughter to see things like that. I'd be the same, and totally agree with you.

    As for why it's acceptable... No clue.

  8. #22
    Disease's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,059
    Thank Post
    112
    Thanked 63 Times in 44 Posts
    Rep Power
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    This is one major issue I have with the media in this country - why on Earth is it perfectly acceptable to show dead or dying people anywhere at any time, but bad language and a bit of nudity (I'm not talking pron or full frontal here!) are strictly after the watershed? Seems like somewhere along the line, priorities got seriously messed up.
    To be fair what the papers show are no different to what is shown on the TV news, there are dead and dying people on there all the time but people don't throw their TV's out. I just think people overreact and then slate papers and people who view them with no real justification to their arguement.

    With Gadaffi most of the mainstream news showed him shot.

  9. #23

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,185
    Thank Post
    1,285
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 730 Posts
    Rep Power
    658
    Quote Originally Posted by Disease View Post
    To be fair what the papers show are no different to what is shown on the TV news, there are dead and dying people on there all the time but people don't throw their TV's out. I just think people overreact and then slate papers and people who view them with no real justification to their arguement.

    With Gadaffi most of the mainstream news showed him shot.
    That's what I'm saying, why is it OK to show death and dying but if a nipple is seen there's uproar?

    I know we're not going to get any answers here, I'm merely contemplating.

  10. #24
    Galway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,015
    Thank Post
    6
    Thanked 215 Times in 153 Posts
    Rep Power
    61
    What a load of piffle.
    Why, in this day and age, do people buy such environmentally unfriendly garbage ?
    Its all tripe and should be taxed into oblivion!

  11. 2 Thanks to Galway:

    AMLightfoot (21st March 2012), CHR1S (21st March 2012)

  12. #25


    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,078
    Thank Post
    137
    Thanked 193 Times in 135 Posts
    Rep Power
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by mthomas08 View Post
    +1

    My thoughts are with Muamba and his family, not worrying about what sort of a picture or content a paper has. Especially when the article written seemed a bit bias towards the paper. All the papers if not most would sacrifice anything to get a good/bad story if it sells. Which also goes to show the population is no better
    +1

    A country/society gets the news-media it deserves.

  13. #26

    sonofsanta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Posts
    4,467
    Thank Post
    750
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 852 Posts
    Blog Entries
    45
    Rep Power
    533
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    That's what I'm saying, why is it OK to show death and dying but if a nipple is seen there's uproar?

    I know we're not going to get any answers here, I'm merely contemplating.
    /flameproof suit on

    Because religion has spent centuries demonising sex and sexuality but violence is a glory unto God. See: the chastity of priests & nuns compared to the Crusades, Jihads etc.

    Not picking out Christianity specifically, just that is the religion I am most familiar with so is my point of reference.


    Popular criticism of games (chiefly that by Fox News) is the most laughable example of this... faux-lesbian dry humping in Mass Effect = OUTRAGE, but the 40 hours of violence and death, fine. Bulletstorm's action wasn't worthy of mention, but using the word rape to describe a killshot, suddenly it's sexualised and OUTRAGE.

  14. 2 Thanks to sonofsanta:

    korifugi (23rd March 2012), LosOjos (21st March 2012)

  15. #27

    CHR1S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    4,389
    Thank Post
    1,489
    Thanked 437 Times in 286 Posts
    Rep Power
    195
    We live in a period in time where data is delivered instantly, quite literally moments after something occurs and is available to all.
    With papers, news corps, media companies and even search engines fighting each other to make money from this data, their approach to marketing it has to adapt.

    Impact and sensation fills their coffers!

    Lets be brutal tho, 15 minutes of searching and you can find ANYTHING on the internet, be it the video of Muamba writhing in agony on the pitch to some slapper from N'Dubz latest home video.

    The Sun, in this case are bringing it to the people who would not or could not normally see it, for right or wrong; And as consumers, us, who watch people 24/7 exposing themselves physically and mentally for money and the chance to be a Z list celebratory, lap it up. Jackass & Dirty Sanchez are one extreme with the latest Big Brother being the other.

    Desensitisation of the consumer is forcing more and more sensationalist images, videos and text into the spotlight, this in turn fuels its self and the cycle continues.

    Anyway....

    My only hope, like Jade Goody before him, is that Muamba's pain and suffering in the public spotlight means that other peoples lives are save because of better screening or awareness.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. An Open Letter to David Cameron’s Parents
    By mattx in forum General Chat
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 12th August 2011, 04:47 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 28th April 2010, 11:21 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15th April 2010, 01:11 PM
  4. Opening Moodle Up To The Public!!!!
    By FN-GM in forum Virtual Learning Platforms
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 1st April 2009, 11:25 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 19th September 2008, 11:06 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •