+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, What's with the obsession with touchscreens and voice entry? in General; So, the IT industry seems to be full steam ahead into a tablet-centric, shout at your phone way of working ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries

What's with the obsession with touchscreens and voice entry?

So, the IT industry seems to be full steam ahead into a tablet-centric, shout at your phone way of working in the future.

Only problem is, I just don't get it.

Touchscreens, tablets, smart phones etc... are all great for one thing - consumption of information.

What about creation of information? What happens when I want to create a 20 page report? I can do this on my PC, with a keyboard, in a matter of a couple of hours. On a tablet? I'll be swyping away until the end of time. Or, I could attempt voice entry and spend 4 weeks training the device to understand my accent, then annoy my colleague by talking to my PC for 4 hours...

So, why is everyone so obsessed with touchscreens, tablets and related tech?

Has everyone else in the world stopped creating documents? Has the 'cubical' office disappeared in favour of individual offices for all staff in businesses, and voice is now useable?

As I said, I don't get it.

DT2
    Lakeville, Carleton County, New Brunswick
    Thank Post
    I guess touchscreen has it's uses... Though apart from being a gucci way of doing things, I haven't found any yet......
    I find that a keyboard is still required, how else would you boot into BIOS if there's no f2/del option? Creating documents and doing any kind of typing/input still requires a keyboard as the on screen keyboard is slow, and takes up much needed viewing space. And voice recognition isn't reliable enough to be a viable alternative.
    Gaming, CAD, all things that will still need traditional input methods.... So I, along with many others, don't get it either.

Thank Post
    same with smartphones im seriously thinking of having my next phone a basic brick with bluetooth (for hands free car) and nanas to data (often useless or so slow may as well be useless) as every smartphone has pants battery life and is worse at actually making/recieving calls than an old nokia

Thank Post
    The voice recognition in Windows 7 is surprisingly good - I set it up for a colleague who has a broken arm and can't type much and I wasn't expecting much, but it actually works. With my Yorkshire accent and her Brummie accent.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Personally, I LOVE my touchscreen phone.

It allows me to surf on the move, and post pics to twitter and facebook when I'm out and about. Phonecalls are nice and clear and I enjoy the different apps that are on it.

However, for "normal" computering stuff, I will always want a proper keyboard and mouse....Is that just my age?

Anyway, I think each to their own, and there will always be the choice! Not every company is going to follow the fruit-based comapny's lead. Some will go their own way.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveBentley View Post
    The voice recognition in Windows 7 is surprisingly good - I set it up for a colleague who has a broken arm and can't type much and I wasn't expecting much, but it actually works. With my Yorkshire accent and her Brummie accent.
    Great, so it can understand an accent - but in an office with a pile of people working, do we want that? I remember one office at Royal Skandia on the Isle of Man which had about 120 people in it, in cubicles... Would that environment be at all productive if people all had to speak to their computers?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aerospacemango View Post
    Personally, I LOVE my touchscreen phone.

It allows me to surf on the move, and post pics to twitter and facebook when I'm out and about. Phonecalls are nice and clear and I enjoy the different apps that are on it.
    Definitely agree. My smart phone is an undeniably useful tool. Battery life is only getting better too.

However, for "normal" computering stuff, I will always want a proper keyboard and mouse....Is that just my age?

Anyway, I think each to their own, and there will always be the choice! Not every company is going to follow the fruit-based comapny's lead. Some will go their own way.
    I don't think its age - its practicality and being able to do things that you need to do.

The problem is, every company IS following that lead. Microsoft's Metro UI. Gnome and Unity are both touchscreen oriented now also. Everything is sliding towards screen fondling.

Thank Post
    I know just what you mean - the PC, 24" screen, keyboard and mouse arn't going anywhere anytime soon given that they are best for content creation.

However in this world where we should all be productive 24/7 thats where the tablet does come in use - in that you can spend that 45mins on the train with a lightweight portable device that is good enough to review a report, catch up on emails and check Facebook for what is new.

The biggest thing I have an issue with is all of the posts on here about SMT/ect asking for tablets on the schools buget - by all means lets kit ourselves out with site wide Wi-Fi as it can be used for both buisness and non buisness work however lets not blind ourselves to the fact that a £450 tablet is more a personal device than a work device.

Thank Post
    I suspect it's all an elaborate gag by Dom Joly & Chris Morris.

Thank Post
    One thing i definitely don't get is this 'hover' touch interface sony are introducing, i can't understand how that will be practical at all

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I fear it is only indicative of the wider trends on the internet anyway. It was supposed to be the great democratiser, where we all contributed equally, a brave new cultural world... except most people just use YouTube to watch music videos now, and use Twitter to follow celebrities, and read blogs instead of write them. Most people are only consumers, now, not the producers we hoped they might be. When you've been chained all your life it's difficult to embrace freedom, I guess.

(as for me, you will have to pry desktops from my cold, dead hands. I don't even like laptops much, ergonomically horrible things they are)

12. Thanks to sonofsanta from:

SYNACK (3rd May 2012)

Thank Post
    I like touchscreens.. It's just a simpler way of "move the mouse pointer here and click".. But obviously depending on what you're doing.. I sure as heck wouldn't like to play some TF2/APB:R etc on a touchscreen! That would be horrendous..

Voice input I don't like. At all. It's a terrible concept. Imagine if you're trying to buy something online whilst you're anywhere but the confines of your own home? "Credit card number: eight-nine-three-four.. Six-seven-nine-zero.. Hey mister, why do you have a pen and paper?" Eavesdropping would be too easy on sensitive information (it can be argued that people that don't protect themselves against this are idiots, but still..) Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable not controlling every-last-keystroke of input wherever I could, but that's just me. I'd rather write a 10,000 word essay than speak it.

Not to mention I think voice input is just a stupid gimmick with no real use. The same can probably be said about touchscreens.. But the film Minority Report makes it awesome ;D

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    I like touchscreens.. It's just a simpler way of "move the mouse pointer here and click".. But obviously depending on what you're doing.. I sure as heck wouldn't like to play some TF2/APB:R etc on a touchscreen! That would be horrendous..
    But that only works if the interface was designed for touchscreen. And interfaces designed for touchscreen require more screen real-estate, meaning you get less on the screen!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    Not to mention I think voice input is just a stupid gimmick with no real use.
    Unless you have a physical disability! We had a teacher here who had Parkinsons and spending less than an hour training Dragon voice was a godsend for this person.

Thank Post
    It's just fashion, after all, isn't it.

Right now, it's fashionable to be on the move, connected, staying in touch, updating your Facebook (how many more mentions is Facebook going to get on here this week? Are they paying one of us? Is this Product Placement by stealth?), tweeting and so on and so forth. A bit like the '90's Man' fad that surfaced as a backlash to the Harry Enfield 'Loadsamoney'/Michael Douglas 'Greed is Good' culture of the 80's.

Back in the day, dumb terminals connected to a mainframe somewhere were THE way of working, then that was replaced by a pc on every desk. Now, with VDI and thin clients, we're back to, basically, dumb terminals connected to a mainframe of sorts.

What goes around comes around.....sooner or later we'll all go back to hand-writing to each other (if, after Netbooks, iPads, BYOD etc, there are any people left in the world who can actually STILL hand-write) and talking to each other.

Perish THAT thought.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast