+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, What's with the obsession with touchscreens and voice entry? in General; Originally Posted by localzuk Where are schools suddenly finding the funds to be able to augment their provision like this? ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Where are schools suddenly finding the funds to be able to augment their provision like this? Especially considering the fact that so many schools are still using machines that are 5 years old etc...
    Was in a Primary school a few weeks ago.. their curriculum system is in an **extremely dire** state and they've known and have been reminded about that for a long time... but instead of getting on fixing that they have bought expensive "class ipads for the children".. only the kids aren't likely to see them much because they had very obviously and very quickly turned into teacher's personal kit that goes home and doesn't always come back.. all for net surfing + (stupidly expensive) note taking at a very occasional meeting.

Wish that were a rare exception but it's not. I'm just gobsmacked, appalled, by the rise of ethically impoverished attitudes in folk in whom you trust with your kids. Funding isn't the only thing they're missing the point about...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    Was in a Primary school a few weeks ago.. their curriculum system is in an **extremely dire** state and they've known and have been reminded about that for a long time... but instead of getting on fixing that they have bought expensive "class ipads for the children".. only the kids aren't likely to see them much because they had very obviously and very quickly turned into teacher's personal kit that goes home and doesn't always come back.. all for net surfing + (stupidly expensive) note taking at a very occasional meeting.

Wish that were a rare exception but it's not. I'm just gobsmacked, appalled, by the rise of ethically impoverished attitudes in folk in whom you trust with your kids. Funding isn't the only thing they're missing the point about...
    Sadly its moments like this that cause the Anti Apple(Fancy gadget) war. Especially in a time when School budgets, lay offs and cutting back are occuring. Unles you make a huge effort to use them and incorporate them in to lessons they are just fancy internet browsing. We have some one here who got one and an iPhone and before that the new Blackberry all paid for by the School. He admitted before he got the blackberry that he wanted the school to pay for it so he went out and came up with all sorts of excuses..... same with the iPad.

Shame really because those who could really use it probably dont get it, those who just want to look pretty go out of their way to get them.

Thank Post
    Coming to this a little late, but I have noticed an interesting trend in this thread. The discussion is largely a debate between "tablet" or "keyboard" as if they are mutually exclusive things. I love my tablet, as I am (generally) just a consumer of information, creating very little beyond a one sentence reply on Facebook; granted, that reply takes longer to type than it would on my laptop, but the convenience of the small design outweighs this, plus my typing speed on the tablet is increasing.

For me, the "best of both" would be a tablet with an external keyboard; I can easily defend that, and if there were a way of connecting it to a classroom projector (AppleTV is close, but too expensive at present), I would strongly encourage the school to consider the move.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    Coming to this a little late, but I have noticed an interesting trend in this thread. The discussion is largely a debate between "tablet" or "keyboard" as if they are mutually exclusive things. I love my tablet, as I am (generally) just a consumer of information, creating very little beyond a one sentence reply on Facebook; granted, that reply takes longer to type than it would on my laptop, but the convenience of the small design outweighs this, plus my typing speed on the tablet is increasing.

For me, the "best of both" would be a tablet with an external keyboard; I can easily defend that, and if there were a way of connecting it to a classroom projector (AppleTV is close, but too expensive at present), I would strongly encourage the school to consider the move.
    I don't understand a desire to have a tablet with an external keyboard... Why not just have a laptop?

Thank Post
    I don't understand a desire to have a tablet with an external keyboard... Why not just have a laptop?
    I've accualy been thinking about this and where I will stand when I get my Windows 8 Tablet (well when it comes out at least!) have been thinking a nice charging dock (like the one for the Acer W500) and keyboard would work quite nicely as a compleate replacement to my notebook PC (so long as Windows RT has RDP I'm good!).

That way I can take it out of the dock if I'm going to 'grab and go' while keeping the keyboard ready to use it as a full on notebook as and when needed.

Thank Post
    A laptop weights 2.5-3Kg, a tablet weighs a bit over 1Kg with keyboard and 500-600g without. So, even if everything I was doing required a keyboard, the weight and space saving is significant, and for those things where I don't want a keyboard, I can just remove it.

You then take the battery life into consideration, and the tablet wins again - 15ish hours on my Galaxy. Should I require more power than that, all I need is a USB cable and mains adapter, which are much smaller than the power pack needed for a laptop.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    BBC News - Ubuntu's Mark Shuttleworth on shaking up system software

I draw your attention to this.....

Could it be the future? Just 6 months away?

This would negate the phone/tablet/laptop.desktop argument!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    A Macbook Air weighs 1ish kg and has a 5 hour battery...

The Asus Zenbook weighs 1.3kg and has a 5-7 hour battery depending on model.

The HP Folio 13 weighs in at 1.5kg and has a 9 hour battery.

The Dell XPS 13 weighs 1.4kg and has an 8 hour battery.

The Toshiba Satellite Z830-10 weighs 1.1kg and has a 6 hour battery.

Yes, they all cost more than a tablet, but they are also significantly more machine with regards to spec.

Thank Post
    The big advantage to me personally of having an touchscreen tablet instead of a laptop (at home) is that I can hold it like a book and have it close to my face. My eyesight is terrible at distance and even a laptop sitting on my knees while on a sofa would be of difficulty for me to use; I generally need to be no more than 8-10 inches away from the screen if I am to read things clearly and easily. So in that regard, a tablet is perfect for me.

Thank Post
    they all cost more than a tablet
    So that's +1 for the tablet+keyboard model...

but they are also significantly more machine with regards to spec.
    If they can run a web browser and an Office-style app, that's enough for most teachers. They're not crunching programming on them, editing movies or playing games, after all.

Thank Post
    i'd love to have the cash for a tablet +keyboard combo to semi-replace my laptop!
    i'm mostly a consumer of content too, so would suit me down to the ground and be more portable.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    So that's +1 for the tablet+keyboard model...

If they can run a web browser and an Office-style app, that's enough for most teachers. They're not crunching programming on them, editing movies or playing games, after all.
    I would disagree there. In the last week, I've had requests from teachers for assistance with video editing, CAD, interactive games, SEN software, complex spreadsheets involving macros and more...

Thank Post
    I would disagree there. In the last week, I've had requests from teachers for assistance with video editing, CAD, interactive games, SEN software, complex spreadsheets involving macros and more...
    I'm sure you have. You'll note I said "most teachers"; I can't believe that many teachers, let alone mostteachers are using CAD. When you say "interactive games" do you mean creating them or playing them? If creating, again I would suggest this is not being done by most teachers, and playing should be fine so long as they don't have a fruit-based tablet without Flash. There will be some instances of Windows-only software, hindering the move to tablets, however Windows 8 or 9 will hopefully address that.

I suspect that at least 99% of staff would be happy with a tablet and keyboard, and the other 1% can have a laptop.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Voice entry FTW.

My voice is my passport verify me

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure you have. You'll note I said "most teachers"; I can't believe that many teachers, let alone mostteachers are using CAD. When you say "interactive games" do you mean creating them or playing them? If creating, again I would suggest this is not being done by most teachers, and playing should be fine so long as they don't have a fruit-based tablet without Flash. There will be some instances of Windows-only software, hindering the move to tablets, however Windows 8 or 9 will hopefully address that.

I suspect that at least 99% of staff would be happy with a tablet and keyboard, and the other 1% can have a laptop.
    Most teachers do *something* that is outside the realm of a browser and office. Sure, they don't all do CAD, and they don't all do video editing, but each one does something that is out of the 'norm'. The games are not flash based ones. We have a class each week where strategy games are played. We're looking at Minecraft and running a Minecraft server. That teacher would need that on their device for example.

I can't think of any teachers who don't use at least one piece of 'significant' software at some point during the year...

And that's not mentioning the whole electronic examinations software that is ever increasing in use.
    Last edited by localzuk; 3rd May 2012 at 12:14 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast