+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, How good/fast is your network? in General; I've a few simple HP Proliant machines and a few normal desktops running as file/print/dns/printer servers in my primary schools ...

Thank Post

How good/fast is your network?

I've a few simple HP Proliant machines and a few normal desktops running as file/print/dns/printer servers in my primary schools which seem to do the job of normal worst case of 35 netbooks wanting to save a word file at the same time

...but maybe I need to wire the server up using a 100GB Fibre Card with a SCSI SAN FlashRAM super duper thingy and see them fly!

But ,my question is - do you big boys and girls measure the traffic on your servers or the speed of data/app load save times or do you just buy as fast as you can afford and assume it miles better than a 10BaseT connection to a Pentium II running NEtware?

If you do measure - what with what dear henry - with what?

Simon

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post

If you do measure - what with what dear henry - with what?
    measure the baseline! i.e. how the network looks with NO (edit: normal would be a better description) load. Then compare that to a loaded network to see signs of trouble.
    Other than that I consider 70% load as 'full' and buy the best I can afford.
    Last edited by CyberNerd; 15th March 2012 at 10:22 PM.

Thank Post
    So - with what dear henry, do you measure your normal and 70% loads - temp gauge on the CPU?, stopwatch to see how long office takes to load?

Si

Thank Post
    Solarwinds is pretty good. Nagios does a good job too but It rather depends on the switches that you have and their capabilities.
    One thing you will be able to do is mirror a port and have wireshark capture packets, which you can glean plenty of information from. You'd need to do this at strategic parts of the network (the core and near edge switches)

5. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

SimpleSi (16th March 2012)

Thank Post
    last time I baselined I essentially did this: http://wiki.wireshark.org/KnownBugs/...+Baselines.pdf

I'm sure there are better tools out there, but it will depend on what your switches are capable of.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 729 Posts
    So - with what dear henry, do you measure your normal and 70% loads - temp gauge on the CPU?, stopwatch to see how long office takes to load?

Si
    I find counting the queue of people at your door complaining the network is slow a good measure.

8. 6 Thanks to SYSMAN_MK:

Arcath (16th March 2012), CHR1S (16th March 2012), Chris_ (16th March 2012), jpaterson (16th March 2012), Netman (16th March 2012), SimpleSi (16th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,956 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Home network is fibre to all devices except laptop and Xbox....though I will get media converters for that soon

Thank Post
    We dont really measure anything, with netsupport we can tell straight away whos on cable/wireless by the response time of it. Also programs like SIMs can go slower on wireless.

We are 90% GB network here and some spots of 100MB's. Seem to be doing alright, we should be fully GB within the next 2 Years but again we seem to be handling alright and we do rely heavily on IT/Network servers and software.

Dont really measure it but sometimes may check switches to see how they are coping.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Home network is fibre to all devices except laptop and Xbox....though I will get media converters for that soon
    that seems a little unnecessary....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We use wireshark, nagios, observium, spiceworks, etc. to see what is happening across the network. In terms of checking speed of the network, I don't think you can beat using a stopwatch to time a user experience, i.e. logging on to the network and opening a word document! We do this across different parts of the school site and using wireless and wired connections on the same device.

13. Thanks to winng from:

Thank Post
    that seems a little unnecessary....
    But you've got to give him EduGeek credit

Si

Thank Post
    My point is that lots of people give advice on using X tech against Y tech (ISCSI vs SAN vs Fibre Channel etc etc 100000Gps to each desktop ) but I'm doubting very much if they've ever actually compared a like for like setup and know what the differences are (and whether they are truely significant )

16. Thanks to SimpleSi from:

AButters (16th March 2012)

Thank Post
    My point is that lots of people give advice on using X tech against Y tech (ISCSI vs SAN vs Fibre Channel etc etc 100000Gps to each desktop ) but I'm doubting very much if they've ever actually compared a like for like setup and know what the differences are (and whether they are truely significant )
    Agreed

For us we wanted to upgrade to 1GB and Fibres to blocks. This is to give us breathing room and as time went by programs did start to slow down on 100MB connetions (Aka SIMs) on all the machines that got upgraded to 1GB SIMs ran much faster.

Fibre for blocks to me is a no brainer just to keep things going well, we prefer to upgrade ahead of problems but in all honesty I dont think we will consider doing more then a 1GB network with Fibres to blocks for many years to come.

With all this so called cloud business which is apparently already here (Actually some time to come yet) we may have to consider paying for more internet bandwidth but other than that...

18. Thanks to mthomas08 from:

Thank Post
    I migrated our last few 100MB fibre links to 1GB a few years ago, more out of a desire to upgrade than an analysis of load on those links, and I had the parts available to do it for free. I do try to keep a watch on general performance over the entire network, find how things are running etc - word of mouth from the users and the general responsiveness and 'feel' of a workstation's performance on the network can help. I also look at the utilisation of my core switches to see if there are problems there - my core has a monitoring section in the GUI.

Rather than moving to 10GB in the near future, I will probably look at providing more dedicated 1GB links. Some are fed into switches via the fibre links (HP Procurve stuff) and the second link feeds another block further down the line, which I'm not massively fond of. Saved running separate fibres at the time I guess!

Thank Post
    I'm just wondering if anyone has seen something that shows what sort beneifts/bottlenecks each part of a network provides.

e.g (Very simple one )

30 Win7 laptops running into an 11g AP into 100MBs Switch connected to a XEON Quad 8GB fast server.

Replace switch or AP?
    What sort of performance benefit could be acheived?

Are their tools for predicting this sort of thing or is it still up to us geek gods to decide based on our knowledge/guess?

Si

I've seen stuff from Ruckus that suggests that due to all the wireless stuff going on - the 100MBs

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast