+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, And again in General; BBC News - Ofsted: Literacy progress has stalled, chief inspector says Sometimes I think that the Sun front page and ...

Thank Post

And again

BBC News - Ofsted: Literacy progress has stalled, chief inspector says

Sometimes I think that the Sun front page and the BBC education website employ someone with the same mentality.

Just because someone at the top open their mouth doesn't mean its a good idea to:

A. Repeat what they say, especially "statistics" (which in 94.8% of cases have been interpreted to fit the words used)

B. Do a nice pix and mix on quotes

Progress has stalled - of course its bloody stalled - if you put a gun to the head of the childrens favourite pet and threatened to shoot if they didn't do better, it wouldn't get you anywhere as as we've reached the end of the road in terms of results at KS2 - everyone is getting the best score that they can.
    [/rant]
    Si

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,116 Times in 1,452 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    everyone is getting the best score that they can.

If they're all getting top marks, then the tests aren't hard enough. [I'm talking about letter marks, not x/y correct.]

Thank Post
    Does not help that staff are expected to produce endless amount of reports for student A when they have another few hundred kids to worry about. Their life is like a Doctor, no longer improving a patients health but instead producing a lot of paper work for what exactly?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries
    X number of students are below average? .... aarrrgghhhhh!!!! It is an average ... if you want to use averages in any form of measurement you compare the change in level of the average, not the numbers above of below ... even if you are fiddling figures using mean, median and mode ... and even then you should compare like with like and not fiddle it!

Never mind literacy failing in schools ... how about numeracy failing in OFSTED and the press!

There are Lies, Press Statements and Statistics! How about things get put into proper context ... just like ICT being scrapped.

IT ISN'T!!!! The Programme of Study is being looked at to be removed as compulsory to follow (but still available for schools how do want to use it) but ICT is still compulsory ... and that has been repeated at the NAACE conference by David Brown (OFSTED, ICT Lead Inspector) and Vanessa Pittard (DfE, Head of Technology Policy Unit) with both directly quoting Michael Gove from his BETT speech.

Thank Post
    I think its time parents were the ones who are evaluated when students are not doing so well

I have two sisters and you can tell which kids are from which parent.

Thank Post
    I think its time parents were the ones who are evaluated when students are not doing so well

Si

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread