+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Tyres - Anyone used part-worn before? in General; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,276 Times in 1,051 Posts
    Blog Entries

Tyres - Anyone used part-worn before?

I have a bit of an issue with a tyre that needs replacing. The problem is this. My car has a rather sensative skid contol system and now that one rear tyre has worn down to the point of needing replacing the skid alarm goes off due to the fact that it rotates at a different rate to it's partner on the other side (which has plenty of miles left in it) thus causing the car to think it is skidding, and activating the alarm. Apparently it is a common problem with my model.
    Now, my car uses a relatively uncommon tyre size (215/70R16) and a 'cheap' new tyre will cost about £100 fitted. This then may cause the problem of the other wheen then turning at a different rate and repeating the problem. However, I can buy a matching pair of 'branded' part worns off the net with plenty of tread on them for about £60 (inc delivery), and as I only do about 6000 miles per year they will last a fair bit.
    Has anyone actually brought or used part worns before, and if so were they ok or are there any issues I should be aware of?

Thank Post
    part worns are always a big can of unknowns, and in normal circumstances I would complately advise against them on the grounds of both safety and false economy, but if you just need them for a few months to wear down evenly then as long as they are a recognised brand I would get the part worn and look to replace with new as soon as possible

Thank Post
    I hear a lot of stories from people who claim that part-worns are unsafe and risky and you don't know the history.

But if that were the case they'd be illegal. They'd also be highlighted as the cause in road crashes.

Does anyone who buys a second hand car replace all four tyres because they're part worn and the history is not known?

Thank Post
    Part worns can be great - just ensure you have some comeback if they are not as described etc. check them when they arrive for uneven wear, holes, splits etc and all should be good

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    Does anyone who buys a second hand car replace all four tyres because they're part worn and the history is not known?
    I do if it's a private sale, but that's like within the first month I'll get a full service done on it too to iron out / identify any issues etc .. from a dealer I tend not to though as I like to think they're doing what I'm paying the extra £££ for ..

Back to the question in hand .. my local tyre fitter (used him for donkeys - though he's not local anymore as I moved away, but it's only 30mins from me, but I digress) told me (when I asked him the same question) think of part worn tyres as being past their best tyres. Quite simply, someone will have taken them off their car to get new ones fitted for a reason, I mean, there aren't many people who would just dump a tyre if they don't need to, in fact, the only ones I could think of would be companies keeping their fleet in check and just having them changed at each service to make sure it's all done at the same time, travelling salesmen who (for a similar reason) want to get everything done at once, or those who do track days who buy a new set, run it round the track then get new ones for next time ..

Personally, I would advise against part worn tyres. I don't know how far Haslingden is out of the way for you, but I can PM you my guys number for you to get a quote, I've not managed to find cheaper yet (I buy Hankooks generally - really good tyre at a middle of the road (pardon the pun) price range
    , Rotationals for my Astra Bertone 2.2 are £85 a piece compared to the £110-£130 some places like to charge)

Thank Post
    I'd avoid tbh, used to do that years ago but now I'd want matching new tyres from a known manufacturer... use UK Tyres Online | Cheap Tyres | Winter Tyres & Car Servicing their prices are usually decent

Thank Post
    When my brother-in-law had his Vauxhall Omega he used to buy part worns all the time albeit always from the same place. Mostly they were German imports from when people had changed to winter tyres I believe and always had loads of tread.

I assume that you don't have a spare with a new tyre on? i.e. spare plus new tyre and use other one as a spare?

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,346 Times in 744 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Some reading here for you. Part-worns can be imported so you don't know their provenance. They can be taken from vehicles that have been in accidents. A friend who works in an MOT testing station says he'd never ever use part-worns and certainly wouldn't put a single one on a vehicle. Even as a temporary measure
    Last edited by tech_guy; 14th March 2012 at 12:42 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,747 Posts
    I imagine the skid control system operates only on the driving wheels - as long as you get a balanced pair up front (assuming its front wheel drive) by swapping around on your own vehicle you should be fine. I too would shy away from part-worn

Thank Post
    I've used part worns before, and if it's the vehicle I am thinking of the car Dos_Box is referring to is a 4x4.

A slightly different variant, is the manufacturer supplied test tyres, these are ones they've pulled from each batch, inflated and tested for QC purposes, and then sell on at good rates. Michelin doe this a lot.

11. Thanks to Drummer_Boy from:

Dos_Box (14th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Has anyone actually brought or used part worns before, and if so were they ok or are there any issues I should be aware of?
    Yes. I've been buying part worn for the last 10 years, in that time variously shodding Citron Xantia (1.9td), BMW 323 (2.5l), VW Polo. I've never had any issues with them and they have saved me a bucket full of money over that time. I did a lot of miles in the Xantia (Scotland/London every few weeks) but it was the stupid fat tyres on the stupid expensive BMW where I saved a small fortune.

Thank Post
    I'm effectively running 4 part-worns on mine right now..I've retired my steelies with winter rubber for the year, and fitted my "new to me" Vx Alloys, that I picked up from a breakers with 4 virtually new tyres already on (still have the fitter/balance markings on!), for £40.

No problems so far..not ditchfinder specials, but not as grippy as I like yet, due to being barely worn in. Although I addressed that partly earlier, ha. Nothing untoward with them at all. If they're in good nick, I say go for it. Even my Winter "Insa Turbo T2" studdable rubber was remould..

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    I imagine the skid control system operates only on the driving wheels - as long as you get a balanced pair up front (assuming its front wheel drive) by swapping around on your own vehicle you should be fine. I too would shy away from part-worn
    It's a 4x4

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drummer_Boy View Post
    I've used part worns before, and if it's the vehicle I am thinking of the car Dos_Box is referring to is a 4x4.

A slightly different variant, is the manufacturer supplied test tyres, these are ones they've pulled from each batch, inflated and tested for QC purposes, and then sell on at good rates. Michelin doe this a lot.
    Hmm. Worth a butchers. Where do you get them from Rick?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    <snip>Has anyone actually brought or used part worns before, and if so were they ok or are there any issues I should be aware of?
    Wouldn't touch them with a 10' barge-pole, personal preference only, you understand.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast