+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Tyres - Anyone used part-worn before? in General; i use part worn tyres on my car. always buy from the same place (as that's all they deal in) ...

Thank Post
    i use part worn tyres on my car. always buy from the same place (as that's all they deal in) and get a very good price. just got the front 2 switched, 64 quid for both inc. balancing and fitting. they look pretty much brand new so can't complain there!

always do a quality job and have quality stuff, but it very much depends on the place.

oh, and they're most likely a bunch of pikeys, but thats fine, as with all second hand car stuffs...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone. Lot's of food for thought there. Alternatively I can just get a new tyre +bloke in a van to visit work and fit it there and then, cheaper than going to a garage and much more convienient.

Thank Post
    I use 'em. Never had a problem in the last few years.

Thank Post
    Personally I wouldn't use part-worn. Its the thing keeping you on the road and ultimately the most important part of the car.

They dont always work out economically viable, paying 50% of the price for a tyre with 60-70% of the tread isn't really worth the difference for a new one, especially when you have to get them fitted, balanced more often.

Can the wheel locking differences between the difference be sorted? If it was say the wheel speed sensors, they'll likely be less than a new tyre of that size/width. Or is the common fault more engine management?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    As a motorcyclist, tyres are especially important for me. I have used part worn tyres but only when I've known exactly where they have come from and have thoroughly inspected them. There are a variety of reasons why part worns become available. You just need to trust the source. And avoid re-cuts which are illegal.

Thank Post
    I would reccomend part worns but only if they are in good condition with no repairs or damage. I know my dad has used them in the past and does 40K+ miles a year with no problems.

TheLibrarian
    I use PWs all the time now and have done for about 8 years; they come from the same place I used to get my new tyres from, the place that I've been using for 20 odd years.

The thing I notice about most of the PWs I have is that they have had a puncture repair; some people just won't use a repaired tyre.

I switched to PWs because I stopped doing any high speed motorway driving and now potter about like the old gust of wind that I am.

On the rare occasion (one every two or three months) I go on the motorway I might hit 70mph when overtaking a lorry, otherwise I tend to drive a steady 60mph.

Mind you the quality of the car I drive has dropped now from the sub-three year old car (at time of purchase) to the cheapest clunker I can find. If I put new tyres on the car they'd double the value of the car.
    Last edited by TheLibrarian; 14th March 2012 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Must learn to proof read before posting.

Thank Post
    I know someone who's had two part worns blow on him - one shredded and one just sort of fell apart. He is a bit tight though so might have bought really cheap ones from the scrappy.

I on the other hand haven't had to buy a tyre in about 6 years now because I don't keep my cars long enough to wear them out - I just get a new one + also I only do about 6 - 7K miles a year.

I also have a skid warning thingy on my latest car and it went off when going around a particularly sharp turn a few weeks back. Maybe they're a bit too sensitive.

HBJB

Thank Post
    I'm looking forward to one day having a car with that level of tech under the bonnet. Purely so I can turn it off. I don't want technology dictating anything, bar the autobox. The day I need a computer to tell me I'm traction challenged and need to cut the power, you can put me to bed with a shovel...tail-end drifting is half the fun.

Thank Post
    F1 drivers use them and look at the speeds they do

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    I think they are fine IF you buy them from a recognised dealer/breaker and you can see them before you buy. We have a great breaker round here and we buy part-worns or new (ex spare) quite often with no issues

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Something no one has said yet is that you should really look at replacing two at a time, doing only one is begging for trouble due to uneven tread and probably compound differences. There is also the case of why it is doing it in the first place, perhaps the wheel alignment is out or the suspension is a bit off on just that corner. If you can get part worns from a reputable place - bearing in mind you want two of the same type (decent brand and decent spec) and as balanced as possible, also tires have a serial number on them that can tell you the manufacture date as tires beyond a certain age are illegal and unsafe.

As long as the tires are alright in those regards it is probably worth going with the part worns and getting a wheel alignment/quick check on the suspension. This way you may well end up with a safer car overall and make sure that the underlying uneven wear issue is not something that needs to be looked at further without burning a stack of money and brand new tires.

Additionally I know what you mean about odd tires, mine are 235R60 and so decent tires come in at about 160 pounds each but as I always say, I'd much rather be a few hundred dollars less embedded in a power poll if things go wrong so its worth the money to get decent balanced tires.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 6th August 2014 at 06:38 PM.

Thank Post
    I have and wouldn't again.

Can't go above 70 and your breaking distance is ridiculous. Not only are they as bad as your own worn tyres, you have no idea what's happened to them before and during the re-moulding.

It is worth the money for new. Last time I swapped my fronts for a nice set of Goodyears (£100 a corner) within a month I had a taxi turn sharply in front of me - I stopped within in millimetres of hitting the bugger. If I'd gone for remoulds that time I'd have gone right into him.

The difference also was remoulds on a 1.2 Ka compared to a 1.6 Focus. If you have more umph than a lawn mower you need to make sure it stops in good order.
    Last edited by Trapper; 7th August 2014 at 12:30 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    I have and wouldn't again.

Can't go above 70 and your breaking distance is ridiculous. Not only are they as bad as your own worn tyres, you have no idea what's happened to them before and during the re-moulding.

It is worth the money for new. Last time I swapped my fronts for a nice set of Goodyears (£100 a corner) within a month I had a taxi turn sharply in front of me - I stopped within in millimetres of hitting the bugger. If I'd gone for remoulds that time I'd have gone right into him.

The difference also was remoulds on a 1.2 Ka compared to a 1.6 Focus. If you have more umph than a lawn mower you need to make sure it stops in good order.
    I think this is about worn but not worn out tires rather than retreads/remolds. As to retreads, wouldn't touch them with a barge pole, they are generally not good and personally I'd probably shred them on the way out of the tire place accidently.

Thank Post
    Retreads = no way

Part worn? If from reputable dealer and price was right, Def yes.

Imagine scenario of car park at roadside, bin lorry clouts it, insurance writes car off. They tyres have say 6 months use on them, why not there's nothing wrong with them.

I think there are a lot if myths pushed about on part worns

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast