+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Kindle or Alternative? in General; Originally Posted by penfold Thanks for all the responses guys. I had another play last night and am going to ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,444 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold View Post
    Thanks for all the responses guys. I had another play last night and am going to take the plunge. So taking this one step further, do people use a case and if so any recommendations? I'm going away in a couple of weeks and will look to get it before then, so would like some protection while travelling.
    I got given the Tesco leather one when I got mine - both bits were birthday present - and tbh, it's worked out really well. You slip the Kindle into 4 elasticated corners and then it folds shut like a book (appropriately) with a little magnetic clip to hold it in place. When I'm reading I just fold it back and clip it open. Leaves the bottom open to plug the charger/cable in whilst closed. Don't know if they make it for the non-keyboard version yet but it's worth a punt at a tenner.

Thank Post
    do people use a case and if so any recomendations?
    The cases on Amazon are crazy money; I bought a slim leather one in Tesco for around a tenner, the OH got one on ebay for a bit less. I then realised that I prefer holding the Kindle on its own, as the case can make it significantly bigger, so now I just keep it in a 7" netbook sleeve to keep it clean.

If you're going to want a light for it, I recommend http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCTOVO-Solis...dp/B004CX34KE; it isn't cheap, but it is much neater than the gooseneck ones which clip onto the case (plus, of course, I don't use a case so can't use most of the clip-on lights). You can get some cases with lights built into them, which look quite tidy.

Thank Post
    Have to say that my OH bought one of the official covers (in pink of course). She loves it as it's like holding a book, and the quality is excellent. Personally, I would have got a cheaper alternative but you pays your money and takes your choice. She's happy with it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    The cases on Amazon are crazy money; I bought a slim leather one in Tesco for around a tenner, the OH got one on ebay for a bit less. I then realised that I prefer holding the Kindle on its own, as the case can make it significantly bigger, so now I just keep it in a 7" netbook sleeve to keep it clean.
    This is what my dad does, but I was wondering if I would end up dropping it if it slipped out of my hand. However, I don't want to be paying the prices Amazon are charging for some of their cases.
    @sonofsanta - I liked the look of a similar case but some of the reviews said that when they took the kindle out of the case there was marks stained on the back. I'll try and pop into tesco today.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @sonofsanta - I liked the look of a similar case but some of the reviews said that when they took the kindle out of the case there was marks stained on the back. I'll try and pop into tesco today.
    Just checked mine now, and there are some slightly darker patches running up the sides from where it's been pressed against the soft leather inside... but tbh it just looks like blotchy shadowing on it, and I don't take mine out of the case anyway to stare at the back so I'm not too concerned this is after about 6 months of being lugged around with me everywhere. YMMV, but having just looked up the cost of the official cases out of curiosity, I wouldn't pay a £40 premium on the basis of some light marking on the back that I can't see anyway.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    While there's other Kindle owners about in this thread, I was just wondering as well - has anyone done the reputedly-easy hack to let you install custom screensavers instead of the occasionally-dodgy-dead-people-portraits?

Thank Post
    This is what my dad does, but I was wondering if I would end up dropping it if it slipped out of my hand.
    Never had that problem, the Kindle has a slightly rough surface so grips nicely. I have smacked myself on the head with it while reading in bed and then falling asleep, but that's different :-D

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    Never had that problem, the Kindle has a slightly rough surface so grips nicely. I have smacked myself on the head with it while reading in bed and then falling asleep, but that's different :-D
    Awesome - I can laught at you now.....until I do it!!! ;-)

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the responses guys. I had another play last night and am going to take the plunge. So taking this one step further, do people use a case and if so any recomendations?
    I only use a (cheap) plastic sleeve for reading in the bath ... until I sorted that out, it was the one single thing that I missed books for (reading a book in the bath that is).

Delivered four boxes of books to the charity shop the other day. I do like books but the Kindle has changed my attitude to having shelves and shelves of throwaway fiction.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    While there's other Kindle owners about in this thread, I was just wondering as well - has anyone done the reputedly-easy hack to let you install custom screensavers instead of the occasionally-dodgy-dead-people-portraits?
    I have, I've got about a half dozen custom wallpapers along with the usual dead people ones. It works well enough!

Thank Post
    All my mum gets on her Kindle is the pencil one. Is this because she has not registed it with Amazon?

Thank Post
    I havenbt bothered with the screen saver hack, mainly because when im not actually reading it, its in a case closed so i cant see the screen. I do lik the fact the keyboard has the web browser which makes quick checks of facebook/twitter avaliable without swapping devices (looks a bit naff on a mono screen but i dont care)

I bought a cheap case on ebay and havent had any marking on the kindle, not that i can notice anyway. my OH bought a pink case from the same line and that hasnt marked either and her kindle is about a year old and has always been in the case

Thank Post
    Not used the screensaver hack. Bought a sock case. Didn't use that either. Kindle gets treated like dirt - dropped, thrown in bags, booze spilled on it at my father-in-law's bar in kenya etc. and the only damage I have been able to do is a tiny patch of dead pixels, I have had it >1yr, maybe closer to 2.

Wife has a case, it's a 3rd party leather, with a clip (useful) that folds back (double useful), and leaves charge-plug available (essential). She uses a little pocket on the inside of the case to hold passport and travel docs when she's away.

Oh yes - that's the single worst thing about a kindle. You are supposed to turn them off for taxi, takeoff and landing, and my most-flown route is only an hour (Leeds Soton) so its a bit of a bind.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton View Post
    Oh yes - that's the single worst thing about a kindle. You are supposed to turn them off for taxi, takeoff and landing, and my most-flown route is only an hour (Leeds Soton) so its a bit of a bind.
    That's just daft. Once the Wifi is off (fair enough) an idle Kindle is doing nothing at all, and even when turning pages it's probably putting out less current than the nervous person shuffling in their seat and building up static. Talk about knee-jerk reaction...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    That's just daft. Once the Wifi is off (fair enough) an idle Kindle is doing nothing at all, and even when turning pages it's probably putting out less current than the nervous person shuffling in their seat and building up static. Talk about knee-jerk reaction...
    Probably true, however it is easier to have a blanket ban on all electrical devices than to start defining which ones you can and cannot use. This is all assuming of course that electrical items actually have any effect at all on a plane, and if they do, why someone hasn't done something about that!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast