+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Kindle or Alternative? in General; Originally Posted by penfold it seems that going down that route will tie you in to having to use books ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold View Post
    it seems that going down that route will tie you in to having to use books from Amazon.
    True enough, but since they seem to have the largest collection of ebooks, that isn't such a bad thing.

Like many others on here, I had stopped reading altogether but then Mrs Enjay got a Kindle last May. Since then, I've read a book every couple of months and got my own Kindle for my birthday! I would agree that the 3G isn't really worth it, unless you're away from a WiFi connection/PC a lot; the keyboard is handy when making collections, but that is an infrequent task, and browsing for books to buy is easier from PC. The keyboard does have one advantage though - it takes up space at the bottom of the device, meaning the screen is a bit higher, so if like me you tend to read in bed, it means the scrunched-up duvet doesn't block the bottom couple of lines of the page!!

Be careful if you're considering these for use in school, though, as Kindles don't play with some corporate wireless networks - you can't configure a proxy server into them, and there is some other issue too, can't recall what right now. Plus, Amazon haven't released the functionality to loan books onto Kindles in the UK.

Thank Post
    enjay, calibre has collection support, you can create and fill them in software and then have it update the kindle

Thank Post
    @enjay - I'm not considering it for work, this is purely pleasure

Thank Post
    My missus has a Kindle and LOVES it. What's cool is that she has the kindle app on her iPhone and has all the books on both devices. They sync too, so if she is reading a book on her kindle in the evening, she can fire up her iPhone when outside having a fag the next day and resume from the page she was reading on her Kindle.

She has mild Dyslexia too and she says that it's a lot more easy to read then an actual paper book. I like the idea for novels, not for things like cook books though.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    calibre - About

It converts more or less anything so you'd have to be trying really hard to find something it couldn't handle...
    Not that hard. It won't converted DRM'd media so if you buy a book from say the WHSmith/Kobo store, you won't be able to use Calibre to convert it to a usable format on the Kindle*. Not that it really matters though, the Kindle store seems to be pretty much the best eBook store in the UK at the moment.

FWIW, I have a Kindle and I like it a lot.

*Yes, yes, I know you can get plugins which strip DRM from AZWs and ePubs but such things are naughty and shouldn't be discussed here!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    She has mild Dyslexia too and she says that it's a lot more easy to read then an actual paper book.
    Mrs Enjay says the same thing, in fact, she prefers it so much that we've actually given all our paper books to charity and bought them again on Kindle. There's a thought - will eReaders be the death of charity second-hand bookshops?

Thank Post
    People have mentioned calibre but if it not assumed already, you can set up your email as a kindle trusted one and start emailing any supported documents to your device.

*hint*
    Its very useful for sending PDF files for later reading.
    */hint*

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    There's a thought - will eReaders be the death of charity second-hand bookshops?
    Possibly although my sister-in-law has threatened to smash the OH's Kindle if she see it! Apparently she thinks books should be physical things on paper and all Kindles burnt at the stake along with the owner!

Back to the original point of the thread, my OH uses hers all the time (as well as still buying actual books) and I have to admit I am considering buying one myself to get back in the habit of reading. We didn't bother with the 3G version and this has proved to be a correct decision because of the ease of downloading books on WiFi and the number it holds. There are a lot of really good free classics as well which she has downloaded.

Only issue I've had really is that it keeps losing the wireless details. A lot of digging and testing later I discovered that it doesn't always like it if you have certain enhanced security features enabled on your wireless e.g. set to not broadcast the SSID. It's not that big an issue because the OH tends to download a batch at a time which takes a while for her to read.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    OH has a Kindle, I have the app on my iPad ... we are both happy with either, but I also read graphic novels (and yes ... comics!) so prefer the flexibility of the iPad (other tablets are available!). OH also has the app on my original iPad and finds little difference in strain when reading compared to the Kindle, but prefers the long battery life.

We are both still buyers of books, but tend to only buy hardbacks anyway or second-hand paperbacks that aren't on eBook stores yet. We are slowly replacing some of our older books for ebook versions but only for those we know and love.

We are also of the group that think a proper book is a thing of love, the smell of the paper and ink, the feel of the coarseness of the pages ...

Quick Interlude – books are the future! | Grumbledook thinks is a blog post I wrote about how I feel about books ... and I would heartily recommend clicking on the link at the bottom to watch the video.

10. 3 Thanks to GrumbleDook:

Diello (14th March 2012), penfold (15th March 2012), Rawns (15th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Very clever - the video is definately worth a watch.

I've been agonising over a Kindle for a while now. I buy a lot of books and find myself needing a new bookshelf every 6 months at the moment! Having all my books on one device is very tempting, but then as has been said, I like the feel of books, the fun of going into a bookshop... plus the incidences of Amazon making books disappear off peoples Kindles a few years ago causes me a little bit of a concern. Now... if they could come up with packages where you get both the Kindle and the physical book... AND (next-gen thinking here!) some electrical bookmark in the physical book to tell you what page you're up to on the Kindle so I could read the physical book at home and the Kindle on the train... now that's an idea...

Thank Post
    From my PoV the kindle is the single best gadget I have ever bought. I've now bought 5 (gifts for: Wife, Mother, Brother-in-law, sister-in-law).
    Bad points: You aren't tied in, but you are limited to only using DRM books from amazon. For example I get DRM-free reference books from O'Reilly, and the wife buys 50% of her fiction from alternate stores. No lending (but I rarely borrow books). No "market" - usually there's one source for one book. PDF reading is limited. Newspapers imperfect.
    Good points: Changes your reading habits for the better. Immensely portable. Allows me to read a newspaper, where otherwise I would never bother.

13. Thanks to tom_newton from:

penfold (15th March 2012)

Thank Post
    I love my kindle, had it nearly 10 months and havent looked back, reads pretty much all formats, doesnt strain the eyes either and calibre is recommended by me for putting stuff onto it and converting it to a more readable format, in the case of things like "pdfs" they can be a bit hard to take in at times.

15. Thanks to rich_tech from:

penfold (15th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    We are also of the group that think a proper book is a thing of love, the smell of the paper and ink, the feel of the coarseness of the pages ...
    The OH thought that too, but quickly decided that the plus points of the Kindle - especially to her as someone with dyslexia - outweigh the love of paper.

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the responses guys. I had another play last night and am going to take the plunge. So taking this one step further, do people use a case and if so any recomendations? I'm going away in a couple of weeks and will look to get it before then, so would like some protection while travelling.
    @GrumbleDook - good video

Thank Post
    The NorEve cases are meant to be good, but i don't own one i just made my own leather slip case for it.

I do quite like the look of the DecalGirl skins but they are pricey and don't protect the screen (just look nice)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast